Sitter/Poker

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klbxmiller

Reaction score
I think my next pipe is going to be a sitter, or poker style pipe. I was wandering if anyone knows a maker that makes that style nice and thick, and with a big bowl. Still learning a lot about the pipe genre, so if anyone could throw some advice or where to find a pipe like this i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Klbx

My personal opinion is that the Charatan #284, a poker or cherrywood, with a 1/8" bend in the stem is the finest pipe ever made. Over the years I have collected a dozen of various grades and have yet to find one that isn't a great smoke.
If it's a large bowl you're looking for, the #484 is almost identical, but a bit larger in all dimensions. This is also called the "Ton", and you can find them fairly regularly on E-Bay. The cost varies but I bought an unsmoked, in the box example for under $90 about a year ago.
I smoke poker/cherrywood style pipes almost exclusively and though there are many fine examples available, I have not found any that beat the old Charatans in overall smokability.
Savinelli makes a nice little poker, #310, I think. It has nice thickness to the walls of the bowl, but, like most pokers tends to a smaller bowl size.
Jan Zeman, a New Zealander, makes a nice cherrywood. You can find his pipes on his website, http://www.zemanpipes.com
His pipes are really beefy, large, but very well engineered and great smokers. I have dealt with Jan personally and he is 100% in quality, service, honesty.

An Ashton LX sized poker sounds like it could fit the bill.
https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t12890-ashton-poker

At about 9:00 cst, Boswell's will post their current offerings. Have your phone close at hand, because if you see something you want, you'll have to move quickly. His pipes fit the thick walled requirement you have mentioned. You can go ahead and browse the site and see if his style and prices are appealing.

Harlock999":yrpep015 said:
An Ashton LX sized poker sounds like it could fit the bill.
https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t12890-ashton-poker
a beauty......... is it fore sale? :D

There are two here, one a Savinelli and the other a Charatan second, known as a "ton". The bowl is large and resembles a barrel shape. Both are good smokes and known not to deposit ashes when they tip over.

I have this great Larryson. Look his pipes over, he makes a real killer sitter.

Lots of folks make nice thick pokers/cherrywoods. A few of mine are:
A Larrysson Poker 2 1/2 in. tall.

An Ashton Oldchurch.

Ashton Pebble Grain.

An Upshall.

A Ferndown.

A Jan Zeman.

A von Erck.

Lots of makers for pokers around, these are just a few of mine.

Thank you all for the advice, i'm gonna keep checking those makers and whe i find one i'll be sure to let you all know

This one was a surprise and an impulse buy, and it has turned out to be a really great smoker:

5551834235_24d960c5d7_z.jpg

A Savinelly Toscana, with a nice big bowl.

You can get a nice poker from Radice or Jacono, but for my money if you want a big honking Burley slayer of a poker, no one does that better than David Jones.

Don't know if it will float your boat, but, Briar Blues has a really nice Tom Richard poker right now.

I'm a big fan of the Poker as well.

I've noticed that David Jones puts 2-3 up every month on eBay (he only sells his new pipes on eBay).

Be warned that they are BIG
6.5-7 Inches w/ generous bowls. The pokers usually go for around $100-125.

I don't have one of his pokers, but the bent billiard I had smoked AMAZING from the first puff.

I got lucky with this David Jones Poker. One, it's not stamped an XL, so it must be a mite smaller, which to me, seems perfect. Two, it went for less than $90. As mentioned, it smoked like a champ right out of the box. And btw, Mr. Jones wastes no money on fancy boxes or socks, it was literally in a cardboard box, which is fine by me! A real nice hunk of briar.

riff raff":r6a4eu4e said:
I got lucky with this David Jones Poker. One, it's not stamped an XL, so it must be a mite smaller, which to me, seems perfect. Two, it went for less than $90. As mentioned, it smoked like a champ right out of the box. And btw, Mr. Jones wastes no money on fancy boxes or socks, it was literally in a cardboard box, which is fine by me! A real nice hunk of briar.

Thats a very nice pipe....like i said ty for everyone's input, and i'm gonna continue looking till i find the one that suits me.

So i just wanted to let everyone know i pulled the trigger on my new pipe, i ordered a Neerup and at 68$ i think i got a deal, but anyway here is the pic from the website. Can't wait to see in person and that 1st smoke.