Slow-smoking Resource Question

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiderwarde

Reaction score
...And another facet of the hobby opens up.
I just watched a video on YouTube documenting the 2014 World Championship slow-smoking competition. The man who won smoked his pipe for 2 hrs, 26 mins. I want to know how.

I'm starting from having to re-light every 5 to 10 minutes, so this is an interest I want to foster. I'm not saying I want to win a world championship...maybe I just want to save on matches.

I imagine there are many factors to this, predominantly:
packing technique
lighting
smoking pattern

Any advice floating around out there? Any resources you're aware of?

I found zero videos on YouTube actually endeavoring to teach anything, but I know this can be taught. One doesn't just sit down and find that he or she can keep a pipe burning for two hours.

That's why they have those competitions--because it's damn hard to do!

And all of the above are factors in getting long smokes. A s**t load of patience, too.

whiderwarde":neeel7qf said:
I just watched a video on YouTube documenting the 2014 World Championship slow-smoking competition.  The man who won smoked his pipe for 2 hrs, 26 mins.  I want to know how.

I'm starting from having to re-light every 5 to 10 minutes, so this is an interest I want to foster.  I'm not saying I want to win a world championship...maybe I just want to save on matches.

packing technique
lighting
smoking pattern

Any advice floating around out there?  Any resources you're aware of?

I found zero videos on YouTube actually endeavoring to teach anything, but I know this can be taught.  One doesn't just sit down and find that he or she can keep a pipe burning for two hours.
A pipe is not going to stay lit on it's own for anymore then about 3 minutes in perfect conditions.
The dampness of your tobacco and packing method other then the above I would say are the two most important. If it's too wet it aint stay'en lit and if ya don't pack just right it aint either. ;)
Then to I believe a lot has to do with the pipe. Most my pipes are fine but, there are two that just won't stay lit for love nor money and I don't smoke them much because of it.

I think it has a little to do with technique, cadence, etc and a WHOLE lot to do with luck! I don't the details, but I heard of someone who had won the slow smoke competition at Chicago one year, then was the first out another competition after that. I entered this past year and only made it some 36:xx minutes, the winner was over an hour. I've heard the tales of the 3-4 hour times overseas and techniques of rolling a little ball of tinder around and around :shock:

Here's a little info from the UPCA's page on preparing for a contest:
http://www.unitedpipeclubs.org/page-505690

whiderwarde":528lomj7 said:
I just watched a video on YouTube documenting the 2014 World Championship slow-smoking competition.  The man who won smoked his pipe for 2 hrs, 26 mins.  I want to know how.

I'm starting from having to re-light every 5 to 10 minutes, so this is an interest I want to foster.  I'm not saying I want to win a world championship...maybe I just want to save on matches.

packing technique
lighting
smoking pattern

Any advice floating around out there?  Any resources you're aware of?

I found zero videos on YouTube actually endeavoring to teach anything, but I know this can be taught.  One doesn't just sit down and find that he or she can keep a pipe burning for two hours.
If you are relighting every 5-10 minutes you're not doing badly at all really. I often have to do this as well, since I get distracted and don't have the pipe in my hands or mouth all the time.

And frankly, if a bowl does last for over 45 minutes or so I tend to get tired of it, get palate fatigue, etc. Don't really want a bowl to last for 2 hours!

I suspect the cut of the 'baccy and moisture content, as well as technique have everything to do with being a slow smoking winner. Think I read somewhere that a ribbon cut is the kind chosen for a lot of contests. Seems this would bring about the longest smoke to me.

FWIW

Cheers,

RR

Dry your tobacco and rub it out a bit. Long-smoke contestants sometimes prepare their weed by chopping it up, which seems to help. Pack your pipe loosely with a firm but springy top, which allows the ember to keep burning. (Remember the fire triangle -- air is needed to feed the burn.) Tamp lightly. Finally, don't worry about it. When the pipe feels like it wants to go out, just let it, then let it cool down, then relight. Soon, you'll have your first one match smoke. Not that it's such a big deal.