Small batch perique processing

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldbear58

Reaction score
I like the idea of "making your own" and have been experimenting with making perique.  I went as far as visiting the Poche' facility in Louisiana and trying making perique in small (one pint) batches.

I wrote up my experiment and results in a short essay elsewhere:
http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/4849-Small-batch-perique-processing

If anyone would care to comment or offer their own experience I would appreciate it.

If there is a better place to post it let me know.

oldbear58":l7m52j1t said:
I like the idea of "making your own" and have been experimenting with making perique.  I went as far as visiting the Poshe' facility in Louisiana and trying making perique in small (one pint) batches.

I wrote up my experiment and results in a short essay elsewhere:
http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/4849-Small-batch-perique-processing

If anyone would care to comment or offer their own experience I would appreciate it.

If there is a better place to post it let me know.
Very interesting, I'll will be even more interested in how it finally comes out.
Not that I'd try to make any myself but, it's always good to know ya can if ya have to.
I wish you success with your venture sir.

That is very interesting. I always assumed, with no good reason, that something was added to kick start the process. Is it a bacterial fermentation? Maybe leftovers from the previous batch? I clearly don't know what I'm writing about here. Just curious.
Best of luck in what has to be the ultimate patient man's hobby  :D 
Mike.

Do keep us posted on this brother! I for one am fascinated by what you're doing.

Jim

I've been thinking about this myself for a long time now. But I consider using stainless steel tubes instead of glass? More pressure can be used with s/s but I'm not sure if this will give the same results as glass?

Your advice will be appreciated, bro' Bear  :D 

I really like to experiment with tobacco. If you care to do so, google KarooStof by Pieter Claassen.

I have tested this technique first on two batches of commercial bulk pipe tobacco.  I sprayed pure distilled water onto one sample, then an equal amount of a "tea" extracted from a batch of perique leaves from the Poche' factory sprayed onto a second identical sample.  I jarred these under pressure and turned the samples after several weeks (this was in February, 2014).  There was no significant difference between the two samples, though both were pleasantly smokable and had a bit more "kick" than the original tobacco.

Oldbear

SpeedyPete":hoptr4ec said:
I've been thinking about this myself for a long time now.  But I consider using stainless steel tubes instead of glass?  More pressure can be used with s/s but I'm not sure if this will give the same results as glass?

The jars tend to be fragile, I have broken a couple, one by prying against the side or hitting the  bottom with a tool, the other by using a wood cap/plunger that was slightly too large.  You could try PVC tubing or even making up a wood cylinder, but stainless might work as well or better.

I doubt that the container has much effect on the sample.

Oldbear

:cheers: 
oldbear58":dxsesuo5 said:
SpeedyPete":dxsesuo5 said:
I've been thinking about this myself for a long time now.  But I consider using stainless steel tubes instead of glass?  More pressure can be used with s/s but I'm not sure if this will give the same results as glass?

The jars tend to be fragile, I have broken a couple, one by prying against the side or hitting the  bottom with a tool, the other by using a wood cap/plunger that was slightly too large.  You could try PVC tubing or even making up a wood cylinder, but stainless might work as well or better.

I doubt that the container has much effect on the sample.

Oldbear
Thanks brother  :cheers: 

oldbear58":l2sqlmed said:
I like the idea of "making your own" and have been experimenting with making perique.  I went as far as visiting the Poshe' facility in Louisiana and trying making perique in small (one pint) batches.

Geez, you came from California to seek Perique.
I live about twenty miles from there and I never
got around to visiting.  I reckon I oughtta amble
on over and have a look.  Much to see?
Gift shop?   :lol:

I could more easily send you my images and save you the trip. Just old barns full of barrels. There is an older bar (picturesque) a newer barn from the 70s and a much newer, larger metal barn out back.

Try a Google images search and you can see the process and environment. As for the smell, it is mostly a slightly rank, occasionally ammonia odor. The fig preserves odor is only the final product.

As for making your own, you would be better off buying it from the supplier (D & R Tobacco). I recommend buying enough to jar for a while as the odor tends to improve with more aging. I just like DIY.

Oldbear

I've used wood barrels, glass, and settled on Lexan for the majority of what I blend with. The wood barrel is rather small and thick walled, and though in my mind it lends a smoother taste, it may be just in my mind. I like the optical transparency of Lexan, so I can watch what's going on without prematurely disturbing the process. I also keep the jars in the bomb shelter to keep the temperature stable and no sunlight. Wait, rotate, wait, repeat. A year is sufficient, 18 months is nicer, two years is grand. Though there have been ample batches that have gone to mold, much to my chagrin.....

Ozark Wizard":k4zgay27 said:
I've used wood barrels, glass, and settled on Lexan for the majority of what I blend with. The wood barrel is rather small and thick walled, and though in my mind it lends a smoother taste, it may be just in my mind. I like the optical transparency  of Lexan, so I can watch what's going on without prematurely disturbing the process. I also keep the jars in the bomb shelter to keep the temperature stable and no sunlight. Wait, rotate, wait, repeat. A year is sufficient, 18 months is nicer, two years is grand. Though there have been ample batches that have gone to mold, much to my chagrin.....
The mold batches had to be crushing...