Small Cigar Recommendations?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeroWolfe

Reaction score
Any recommendations for small cigars, medium strength (EMS (English Market Selection) wrapper), small panatela or petit corona size? I'm looking for a "shorter" smoke cigar, but something to last longer than a cigarillo-type? To go with coffee, when I do not have time to do justice to a pipe. Thanks, chaps.

Thanks for the suggestions, chaps! I always enjoyed the Arturo Fuente Hemingway Classic, so the Hemongway Short Story sounds right up my alley !!

Try :

Tatuaje: Noellas or Petite cazadores reserva
Cabiguan: Guapos Junior

As mentioned above, the Short Story is always a winner for a quick smoke.

Thanks, Diesel.......I purchased a box of AF Short Story stogies and they fit the bill perfectly for a "quickie"; reminds me why I have always liked the AF Hemingway Classic (longer smoke, of course).....Will take a look at the others that you recommended. Thanks, chaps......

I really enjoy the Jesus Fuego Origen Originals. My local tobacconist sells them in 5 packs for around $13 and they are the best short smoke in my humidor.

Well, I ordered a few of the Short Stories and man, they really are quite good.

+1

Indeed; the Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story is very nice; I have concluded that I have "not met" an AF Hemingway cigar in any size that I do not like!!!

Also, as another recomendation, chaps: I picked up a couple of tins of Avo Puritos (4 inch x 30 ring gauge); very pleasant small cigar/cigarillo that I have with coffee as a quickie.....

Interesting thread, guys,

I have just taken an interest in shorter cigars myself, being a pipe smoker only, and so far, I have tried a Romeo & Julieta and I quite liked the experience. I will have to try the AF Hemingway Short Story!

Do you guys know of a good cigar review site, similar to Tobaccoreviews.com?

There probbaly is a good cigar review site, but I do not know specifically; others can chime in.....Cigar Aficionado Magazine has cigar ratings in every issue (might also be online)...Also, Famous Smokeshop (where I order stogies from, they have a BIG selection, but do not take this as a recommendaton per se, although their service and prices seem goodto me) they post customer's ratings, with numerical scores and comments for many of the cigars they sell.....Many comments are negative, so it does not look like the comments are "filtered"??

Follow-up: Have now smoked about 40 of the Avo Puritos (4 inch x 30 ring gauge) that I ordered, and I confirm that they are excellent shorter smokes, especially with a cup of java.....smooth, tasty and "creamy".....there are some others this size from other brands, but these are by far the "tastiest" for my palate so far........

NeroWolfe":1zn16tsg said:
Any recommendations for small cigars, medium strength (EMS (English Market Selection) wrapper), small panatela or petit corona size? I'm looking for a "shorter" smoke cigar, but something to last longer than a cigarillo-type? To go with coffee, when I do not have time to do justice to a pipe. Thanks, chaps.
I just read this for the first time and was wondering about your last sentence ...

Is there some minimum smoking time required "to do justice to a pipe" ?

I've often felt pipe were far more versatile than cigars, especially where time constraints were the key factor. Granted, you can choose smaller cigar sizes like the ones mentioned, but even these take 15-30 min or more to fully smoke.

With pipes, not only can you choose those with smaller bowls, you can simply load less tobacco. With some practice, you can easily determine how much is required for a 5, 10, 15 minute smoke, etc. And many blends lend themselves quite nicely for DGT. More so vs. cigars, IMO.

tslots.......Indeed, sir, a reasonable question / observation! In my case, I am affected by two elements: (1) By "doing justice to a pipe", I am expressing my own personal habit / approach to the pipe, in that I always smoke a reasonably large bowl, and enjoy a slow ritual of packing the bowl, lighting, smoking slowly, savoring, etc., then cleaning the pipe-stem, etc., etc. Invariably, during the day, I find myself rushed, and savor a small tobacco / nicotine rush while drinking coffee, but frequently without the time needed for my own approach to smoking a pipe; and (2) I also truly enjoy cigars !! I admit it; I am a "switch-hitter", with an AC/DC approach to pipes and cigars !!! However, your point is completely valid, and I would not disagree that a small bowl, or a less than full bowl, can be a fully satisfying smoke. For me, a couple of cigars per day, and generally three pipe-bowls per day, and I am happy !! I do also admit that I have never fallen into the habit of cigarettes! Regards.....Nero

Carlos":3ri2h5ia said:
Hemingway Short Story, perhaps.
X2

I had the pleasure of smoking a Betweens the Lines yesterday, very nice. I'd recommend that as well, if they weren't darn near impossible to find.

The Hemingway Best Sellers and Work of Art are great, and a little easier to find.

Macanudo Ascots are good, but I find I have to age them at least a year or they're too harsh, if you got the time, they're awesome at about 5 years.

It's not EMS but it is a damn fine cigar, but does carry a bigger price tag, CAO L'Anniversaire Cameroon is wonderful.

La Unica #400 Maduro is a great little robusto for the price. JR Cigars has them for $3 a pop. I REALLY liked them when they used to come in a bundle of 20 and were only $42.

I'll second whoever said J Fuege Origen Originals ... great little smokes (a 5er costs $10 at my local B&M) ...
Another good, short smoke is the Cuchillos Cubanos line from D Giolito (maker of Illusione).

When it comes to small perfectos my favorite is the Ashton VSG Enchantment ... but it's a bit pricey for such a small stick @ $11-13/ea but the flavor is awesome ... not sure it would be the best morning smoke though.

A lot of folks seem to like Partagas Shorts with their coffee ... but the Short has never been one of my favorite smokes.
If you're looking for good cuban flavor (not complex by any means) and want to spend next to nothing then I'd imagine Jose L Piedras would go nicely with a cup of coffee.