Smoked a bowl of McClelland Stave-Aged 35 Virginia Ribbon

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mozjo33

Reaction score
I am reluctant to give reviews of tobacco because I have only been smoking a pipe a little over a year and my palate is no where near as refined as most of you. I know it's better to go thru the entire tin first. However, since this a new McClelland VA that was recently released, I'll give it a shot.

Upon breaking the seal, I was not greeted by the normal "ketchup/vinegar" odor assocaited with McClelland VA's. It was much sweeter - almost candy like. Now keep in mind that I can't smell a fire in the next room - but I digress.

The stave was easily found as it was on top of the tobacco. It's very small and light, and I can't imagine it effects the overall weight of the tin or price.

The tobacco was not overly moist. I removed a small sample and allowed it to dry for approximately 15 minutes before packing it in my Sav Treve 628 before work. The bowl remained in the open air all day.

It lit very easily, but I had a tough time keeping it lit at first. After the 3rd or 4th re-light, I went through 1/2 of the bowl until it went out. I may have packed it a little too tight.

It burned very softly, not making to bowl too warm. For me, the "whiskey" flavor stayed with me 3/4 of the way through. It also had a small amount of "spice" to it and some nutty flavoring. I have to imagine that having a glass of Makers Mark (one of my fav) with the smoke would only make it that much more enjoyable. The room note was very pleasant and not over powering. I did not experience any tounge bite nor did I encounter the "N" monster.

I truly enjoyed it and I look forward to my next bowl. If I had to compare it to other VA's I smoked, I would say it was a cross between McClelland Mature #25 and Red Cake (5100), but not as complex. For me, it's a keeper.

I hope this makes sense to you all and it helps. Any thoughts from some of you who have tried it?

I've had a few bowls of it so far. I was expecting a light VA with a touch of woodiness and a subtle whiskey flavor. It's a little overly flavored and overly sweet for my tastes. I'd describe the sweetness and flavor as nougatey. Definitely well on over into aromatic territory. I agree on its mildness in the vitamin N department, and my wife can vouch for a heavenly room note. I didn't have much of a problem keeping it lit; In fact, I'd say it was one of the better behaved tobaccos I've recently smoked. However, I do smoke on a fairly windy patio, so that may have some bearing on its smokability. It's not what I was expecting, and not entirely my cup of tea, but there's no denying it's a fantastically well-executed tobacco for what it is.

Nice review. Don't worry about the disclaimers - as long as you are honest about your thoughts, we love to read about others experiences.