Smokes that count

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LIPIPE

Reaction score
For me it's the first in the morning and the last at night. Every morning it's Beck's OLB and every night it's Penzance. "All that's well, ends well". Daytime smokes are pot luck.

Ian Flemming wrote, in one of the early James Bond novels, "The best drink of the day is the one right before the first." In other words, it's the anticipation that counts. On mornings when I'm home, I climb the 151-step stairway in front of my house to the top of Prospect Hill before lighting the first pipe of the day.
(pic here):https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t16217-first-light-of-my-birthday-pipe

Lately, though, I've been traveling a lot for work. It's pretty much a coin toss as to which company car I get. (only one of four is a smoking car) My out-of-town work schedule is usually pretty mixed up, and there's no such thing as a smoking room in any Michigan motels. Therefore, the most anticipated smoke for me these days is the one I light as soon as I get home. That's the one that counts.

Start the day out right and end it well. I'm okay with this, though I don't usually bookend them as such.

Today I did, though. 8)

With me it's more of a 'What I'm in the mood for' situation. Some mornings I'll smoke a bowl of EMP or similar, others it's an Aromatic, occasionally a flake. It just depends upon how I feel that day and what sounds good.

This year I've gotten in the habit of starting the day with some sweet Va and usually ending it with one of my Balkan mixes. Not fact, JMHO :p

For me it's the one when I get home from work. I sit out on my porch and listen to radio...Pirates game or talk radio. Sometimes I'll have an adult beverage as well. As far as tobacco, usually a VA.

Mozjo33":iyss79ye said:
For me it's the one when I get home from work. I sit out on my porch and listen to radio...Pirates game or talk radio. Sometimes I'll have an adult beverage as well. As far as tobacco, usually a VA.
Ever listen to the craziness on Coast to Coast? I love doing that, but it comes on rather late.

Plus, George Noory is an avid pipe smoker! :D

Kyle Weiss":k3rxfven said:
Mozjo33":k3rxfven said:
Ever listen to the craziness on Coast to Coast? I love doing that, but it comes on rather late.

Plus, George Noory is an avid pipe smoker! :D
Kyle,

I don't believe we get that show in this area. If I'm not listening to the Priate game, I'll listen to Mike Savage or classical music. It helps me unwind from the day. I'll have to keep an eye out for Senior Noory. Thanks for the suggestion.

The first pipe of the day - for me usually very early - is a great one. As is the bowl after dinner. But the absolute best is a situational one - when I'm sitting around a camp fire. Nothing, but nothing, beats that.

Muddler":xyw2sff1 said:
But the absolute best is a situational one - when I'm sitting around a camp fire. Nothing, but nothing, beats that.
Can't argue that one!!

Situational smokes are the best. Yesterday, for example, I sat on a bench at a pretty famous spot in Reno called "Windy Hill." It's the classic scenic overlook spot, make-out place, panoramic views of the city and the hills--except last December, much of it burned down via wildfire. I hadn't stopped by in a LONG time, so I figured I owed it a visit. All the place is really is a parking lot, a few trees and some benches--all spared by the fire. It was barricaded and closed off, but that didn't stop me from a good twilight smoke, watching the birds bed down, the rabbits and coyotes waking up, the city turning on lights randomly...good moment.

Moz: It's a little different than Michael Savage, much more variety and stuff all over the board--conspiracies to space aliens, politics and weirdos. It's damn entertaining, and there's been some pretty brilliant people on there. Savage gets a little needlessly melodramatic, but I can see why you east coast cats like him. :lol: Coast to Coast has to be on in your area, it's one of the highest syndicated/rated AM (and even FM) shows on.

Yup - I catch Coast To Coast every night on the way home from work. It's already up and running when I get off, but always makes the drive home more enjoyable. I've considered recording it, but haven't gone that far yet.

I've never listened to Michael Savage, might have to check that one out sometime...

Savage is okay, but he sounds like some of my family that comes from upstate NY...getting on a tangent and just talking at you, rambling on. Agree with him on some points, think he's full of beans on others. Typical. :lol: I don't listen to much talk radio, just dogs barking on the other side of the fence.

Except C2C, gotten lost with a pipe and a drink listening to that one often. 8)

George Kaplan":r0d8mony said:
I should have known Kyle would be a Coast to Coast fan! :joker:
He and Yak are both regular callers. :lol:

But then - I'm from the same hometown as Rush Limbaugh, so I guess I have no room to talk... :scratch:

I used to listen to it a LOT when I was in my late teens... not too much to do sleeping in your car night after night. That was back in Art Bell days. These days, it's hard with my current adult/professional schedule to listen to it, but on a late night, nothing beats a comfy chair outside, a pipe, a big, ugly 1960s radio, and tuning in a station 1,000 miles away on AM and listening to the signal degradation and space alien talk.

If I actually did call in, I'd only ask Noory what his preferred pipe and blender was. I've emailed him a lot about it, but he's too Hollywood to write me back. :(

Kyle Weiss":g3yvs9pn said:
Moz: It's a little different than Michael Savage, much more variety and stuff all over the board--conspiracies to space aliens, politics and weirdos. It's damn entertaining, and there's been some pretty brilliant people on there. Savage gets a little needlessly melodramatic, but I can see why you east coast cats like him. :lol: Coast to Coast has to be on in your area, it's one of the highest syndicated/rated AM (and even FM) shows on.
I gotta find this show, Sounds like it's a riot. I like Savage for entertainment purposes. He does drone on and on about his own books though. Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah - us East Coast guys (I'm originally from NJ) love loud, sarcastic people - that's why I married my wife! :cheers: (Budda-Bing!)

I do agree about the "situational" smoke. Two weekends ago we ate dinner over a friends followed by a fire in his back yard pit. I smoked some SG FVF in my LAH Bead Blasted Brandy. It truly was one of the most enjoy able smokes I've ever had!