Smokin' Rope

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growley

Reaction score
Well, this is my first time smoking tobacco from rope or twist form. I'm not sure what it is exactly as it was given to me in a nice sampler from a brother here, but I really like the experience...not so much the smoking of it, but the preparation. There's something about the rope that makes me want to bite a chunk off and chaw on it a while. However, I think I'll pass on that approach for now.

To date, this is the most "cigar-like" smoke I've gotten out of pipe tobacco. It kind of has that taste of the last bit of a good mild cigar, a bit too wet and a bit too hot. I'll admit, I didn't dry it out, and probably should have. I just cut it into coins, broke those up, and packed my pipe.

I'm not a great judge of strength, but I'd say this is quite strong.

So the best review I can give it is, strong, wet and cigar-ish. How's that for a crappy review of an unknown tobacco?:no: 

It's brown pigtail. Needs to be dried a bit and then it smokes sweeter. Still cigary, but sweet too!

I smoke Black Irish X from time to time. I never really liked it in the past, so I'm smoking it now to learn how to like it.:shock: There is a stark, uncompromising, in your face strain to the flavor; as if to say, hey, I'm rope! I'm not going to change my ways for anyone!

Sounds like a GH product, they use a lot of strong African and Indian tobacco, which is quite cigarish, moreso the Indian.

UPDATE:

I just tried this again and fought it like a bear in the wild. ...The bear won.:(  I just can't get this stuff to play nice. I tried cutting it into coins, drying it and had no luck.

Then as I was about to give up, I unrolled it to it's leaf state, rolled it up loosely, kind of like a rose with petals, and stuck it back in and lit it again. This method worked better, but still it burned hot.

I really want to like it too because of the natural state of it, but I'm not sure it's going to work for me.

Some of the reviews state that it's a strong smoke...I'd tend to agree. Oh well. I'm glad that it was a sample and not a full buy:D 

Sounds like you were smoking brown rope; if you think it's a tough customer, try black.

I smoked black rope with 3 others on a lark at our local B&M - 2 of the staff participated, the other guy was from another nearby B&M (an insular lot). None of us finished our bowl. Comments ranged from "entrails" to "like cleaning the grill." Because it tasted like a rancid pig roast to me, I figured it could be mixed with some equally nasty tropical aromatic baccy (pineapple or coconut) and create a blend called "Evil Luau."

I've tried the black rope, but I didn't smoke it long enough to get too messed up by it. I guess I'll come back to it in a year or so and see what I think of it then.

I smoked a bowl of black Saturday, and this time the burnt rubber/creosote taste had gone, and what remained was very dark and very good. It's about 6 months old now; maybe that's the point where these tastes die down. I've smoked black before and tasted it and didn't taste it, but the absence would seem to have occurred when it had some age.

I can't help to wonder why any of you continue to do something you dislike?
Kind like sticking your hand in the fire time after time hoping it will quit burning.

I hear what you're saying, but. . .

some of us like the challenge
smoking rope proves virility; well, maybe not, but it could be said to be a pipe smoking ritual of manhood. When I was new I stayed away from it, but then got curious and probably smoked my first rope 3 or 4 in. I liked it and have had some around since.
regarding flavor, I've found nothing else that tastes like rope, particularly the brown
I continue with the black because I had some great smokes in spring 2012

I can see it would be an experience to try it but, if I were to find it distasteful, it's gone sir.
Like the old saying goes, "Life too short to date ugly women!"

mimefrog":skhawc30 said:
I smoked black rope with 3 others on a lark at our local B&M - 2 of the staff participated, the other guy was from another nearby B&M (an insular lot).  None of us finished our bowl.  Comments ranged from "entrails" to "like cleaning the grill."  Because it tasted like a rancid pig roast to me, I figured it could be mixed with some equally nasty tropical aromatic baccy (pineapple or coconut) and create a blend called "Evil Luau."
I have to agree with the comment on black xx tasting like 'cleaning the grill'. While the N in brown rope #4 is still too strong for my tastes, I do like the taste. Mixed about 50/50 with PA, though, it's still pretty tasty.

Some ropes are good some not so good, I usually have to Slice them and let them sit for a day. That helps them get to a moisture content that is lightable. With that being said most of em are strong use in moderation and for goodness sakes if after you smoke you wish yourself a lion in the zoo that can lick it's ass to get the bad taste out of its mouth then don't smoke it again!!!!

DrumsAndBeer":llzg9bkf said:
I have been smoking a bit of the G&H Sweet Coconut rope. Weird stuff.
That sums it up pretty well!

Sometimes I smoke it and it presses all the right buttons. And I think I need to get a couple of punds of it.

Other times it presses the wrong ones.

Slide":ijsrylpo said:
DrumsAndBeer":ijsrylpo said:

Sometimes I smoke it and it presses all the right buttons. And I think I need to get a couple of punds of it.

I agree, but I do think I like it. It has a bit of a Hawaiian Tropic kind of thing going on. Perhaps that sounds disgusting but it does work for me more often than not. :twisted: 

Perhaps it would make an even better snuff?

DrumsAndBeer":3v2u7mri said:
Slide":3v2u7mri said:
DrumsAndBeer":3v2u7mri said:

I agree, but I do think I like it. It has a bit of a Hawaiian Tropic kind of thing going on. Perhaps that sounds disgusting but it does work for me more often than not. :twisted: 

Perhaps it would make an even better snuff?
Yes, I like more times than not.

It might make a good snuff! I like coconut scented snuff:D 

I like ropes, twists and plugs but admittedly they aren't as well mannered in every pipe I've smoked them in. I find a pipe lacking much in the way of cake to produce the harshness they can tend to impart but get some in a Morta or a well seasoned pipe with a good cake that's a different story. Another thing I've found is if you think the coins, or however you have prepared it, are ready to smoke let them sit another 1/2 a day a bit drier is usually better IMO. Don't disregard a good old cob either, corn seems to lend a nice touch to the smoke.

I'm curious if anyone has tried the various GH pigtails (sold for both chewing & pipes), flavored or not?