Smoking at Work

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Casa

Reaction score
As I am headed off to work for the day, I am debating if I am going to bring my pipe with me or not. I am able to smoke on the job, but have yet to actually bring my pipe with me. I do landscaping, mowing lawns mostly with a few other things thrown in occasionally. I was wondering if any of my fellow pipe smokers are able to enjoy a good smoke while bringing home the bacon, and if you do what is your favorite pipe and tobacco to enjoy while at work?

I bring a pipe with me to work everyday. I spend some of my days in my car, so I smoke while I drive. I bring anyone of three of my pipes, preferably one I can clench in comfort so I can keep my hands free.

It's funny because in doing so, one of my co-workers has purchased two pipes and enjoys them several times a week.

With a labor related job, I say it depends on if you work for yourself or someone else. Don't let it hinder production if you are working for a company. That would give us pipe lovers a bad image.

Smoke in the truck in between properties if you are running a route.

Since I have to be an outdoor smoker, what I often do (time and weather permitting) is light up and drive home and then stroll around my apartment complex. So my 'cellar,' nearly all my pipes, and 3/4 of the open tobacco are at work. Every once in a while, I'll smoke here on campus in one of the 'designated smoking zones'

A lot of my work is outdoors, at my own pace, and usually in solitude. I have a few cobs I bring with me for the field.

Tobacco can range from light VAs to perky Lat mixtures, but I usually save the heavy stuff for after sunset. If you're going to chug around with a pipe in your mouth routinely, get a fairly light blend, one which is colloquially referred to as an "all-day smoke." Personally, it's really hard to climb steep hills and not get a lungful, so I prefer to make the top of the hill the rare reward for my time--plus the view is better. 8) I only like to sit and smoke.

Being of an age when smoking was allowed IN the workplace I can remember when by 3 pm there would be a blue haze of smoke about 4'-0" A.F.F. after a day of 3 cig smokers and 4 pipe smokers puffing away all day in our drafting office! By the time I retired last year of course all this had ended and frankly, I was glad :p I'm fortunate to be able now days to smoke anywhere I want in or out of my home which is where I now do most all of my smoking. Less hassle doing it this way in todays "anti smoking" world. I do it for MY enjoyment and dealing with folks who are "anti" is not what I consider enjoyable. :p

My lunch is a mandatory hour long, so when the weather permits i'm outside in the designated smoking area puffing away. I always have a Cob with me and tobacco selections vary from day to day.

At least I work at a place that Has a smoking area, seems these are becoming much more rare these days...

I too can smoke during my lunch hour I work at the U of A. And I have also smoked outside doing yard work and such. The one thing I notice is I don't enjoy it as much, especially during yard work. I find that I smoke to fast. Because I have to keep the pipe in my mouth, plus the physical exertion makes me breathe faster. It's still enjoyable but not as enjoyable as sitting on my porch at night or early in the morning, when you can truly relax appreciate the smoke.

I spend 3-4 days of the week in a no-smoking office, and not enough time to really get a way for a pipe. The other day or two is spent on the road, in my own vehicle, pipe a-goin'.

Im a field service tech and my home is also my office. Smoking is generally not an issue. I do have some customers that have a 100% no smoking policy on their property. When staying at hotels I get smoking rooms. I once stayed at a hotel that was smoke free for all rooms. At check in they told me that if I smoked in my room I would be charged an additional $200...........I threw $200 on the front desk an proceeded to destroy the room for the next 7 days with latakia.

Atwageman: I love it! For 200 bucks you probably should have gone down to the local B&M and invited about ten guys over for a smoke fest. :arrow:

Our brewery loading dock is the designated smoking area. The ciggie folks all go out there to get their fix.

Me, I have zero time for a pipe during the work day. Production requirements prohibit me from taking any more time than absolutely necessary for a lunch, and even then I sometimes have to interrupt it to attend to various matters. Taking the time for a pipe is just not even a consideration, much as I'd love to do it.

Such is the life of a brewer!

Cheers,

RR

LIPIPE":3x95mta0 said:
Atwageman: I love it! For 200 bucks you probably should have gone down to the local B&M and invited about ten guys over for a smoke fest. :arrow:
My brother has done that with poker games in hotel rooms. I know of at least two Holiday Inns he's no longer welcome at. He's done the same thing with rental cars. He's smart about it too.....when gives them a credit card, he uses one that has just enough on it to cover the stated penalties, that way they cant ding him for anything beyond what he signs off on.

On a side note, when your in hotel room with a bunch of cigar smokers, disconnect the smoke detector before you start the game.

I'm all for setting a bad example. I wish I could smoke at work but I now work on a nonsmoking site.

More and more, I get compliments on my pipe and I feel like I'm doing the pastime some good and maybe some recruiting.

atwageman":lg48yil4 said:
I threw $200 on the front desk an proceeded to destroy the room for the next 7 days with latakia.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

My home is also my office (or my office is my home). As I'm living alone since my wife passed away last year, I smoke where and when I want to.

I do not smoke in the bedrooms but that's it. The rest of the house is mine to do as I like.

I remember the good old days at work when a lot of us used to keep a 5-pipe rack on our desks. By the time I retired the cig smokers were standing outside -- in blizzards, in their shirt sleeves. They couldn't wear jackets, because theor bosses would notice they were away from their cubicles.

Next week we're due in Maine for a few days of watching the tides go in and out. Most of the hotels forbid smoking, and I think there's a town anti-smoking reg in public places.

Nevertheless, I'm packing a few cobs and some Revelation.

They must think I go up there just to give them $$$ and then turn around to go back home.

I'm in furniture sales. The vast majority of the time I'm running the store solo. On week days in particular, I may only see 3 to 7 customers all day. The building has a back door into a nice little back yard. You bet I bring a pipe!

I always bring what I consider my "knock around" pipes. A nice little old Willard apple with 8 big fills. It smokes like a champ, and has stood up a lot of rough treatment over many years. I am very fond of it. I also bring cobs.

I load up in the morning with whatever I feel like, and always keep a small mason jar of something on my desk.

I cannot express enough what a comfort it is to have my pipe and baccy near by during the work day. Even if I'm not smoking.

Sounds like a nice place to work!! And your lucky to have a nice sounding space avaialable for a smoke :p