Smoking Converts

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumbernater

Reaction score
Sense I started smoking a pipe, there has been 3 other folks that has taken up the pipe because of me smoking a pipe. One is my son who faded from cigars to the pipe because he took a intrest ain my pipes. Gave him a pipe let him try some tobacco and he was hooked. So I gave a couple of pipes away and the world gained a pipe smoker. My sister n law is gay and her companion is like a guy I guess, and took a liking to me smoking a pipe. So gave away a couple more pipes and a little tobacco and the world has another pipe smoker. Oh let me tell you this girl drives a big rig. and could woop a tough man. And just this thanks giving, my daughters boyfriend liked my pipes and took up a intrest in me smoking a pipe. So im out a couple of more pipes and a little more tobacco and the world has another pipe smoker. Any one have simular experiances since they started smoking the pipe and carrying the art and pleasure to the next generation?

Although I did pick up my love of pipes from my father and uncle. I have never “mentored” anyone.

Constantly spreading the good word. Perhaps it's my effervescent nature (or they're scared of my mood swings), but I have given two pipes to two separate friends. One is an old bandmate, the other is my Vespa scooter riding buddy. Both used to be pipe smokers in the sense they had cheap Grabow pipes and Prince Albert--so of course when I re-discovered piping again recently (being of that same ilk once myself) with proper briar and tobac in tow...they were intrigued. Ian (Vespa dude) has a nice 3/4 bent Charatan-style, Tom (bandmate) got an old Comoy's Tradition. Tom just texted me last night:

"Dude, just had a GREAT dinner with the folks, out smoking my pipe in bliss--thank you so much...Happy Thanksgiving!"

Needless to say, if you can't find piping friends, turn your current ones into pipesters. 8)

A fellow I work with has always smoked cigarettes. I let him pick a basket pipe, a pouch and a couple of ounces of bulk tobacco. He smokes the pipe before and after work but he says the cigs are still easier during the workday.

Figure the herd needs to get bigger; I've got some older pipes in the rack and given a couple away, maybe it'll take but it's always worth a shot.

I too have converted a few folks to the briar. I started smoking a pipe back in 2002 while attending ANCOC at Ft. Benning Ga while there many guys saw me smoking and ask a few questions which for the most part I had no answer but they liked they way it looked and smelled so about fifteen guys from my class went to the tobacco shop the next day we had off and all got a pipe and some tobacco.
As a Drill Sergeant many young men seeing me smoke my pipe and wanting to be like old Drill after completion of their training went to the same shope and bought pipes and tobacco.
Since I retired from the Army in 06 I held a few jobs and each job I worked at on my breaks I would go smoke my pipe again two or three folks would ask question and before you know it they too are smoking a pipe.
I went back too Iraq this time as a contractor and again took my pipes the first year here eight of my guys all started smoking a pipe.
I am back in Iraq with another company and again have converted a couple guys to the pipe. I am sure some of these is just a passing fad and some will smoke for just a short time and give it up but to my knowledge I know about twwenty of them have fell in love with the pipe as I have and we are true Brothers of the Briar.
Best Regards Richard

I have a couple of people ask me about pipes. My brother asked me about it a couple times. So I have him one of our grandfathers pipes to try out with some tobacco. About a week later he told me it just was not for him and he sat on the pipe and broke the shank. Oh well I tried. But since then he has gave up cigs and coppenhagen. But every once in awhile he stills asks for a good cigar. I guess OPC's (other peoples cigars) are good too.

73 kj4unx

One of my favorite things to do, is to fix up an "ebay pipe" or some other beat up pipe I've gathered, and give them to friends as "starter pipes." These are usually no-name briars, but were once loved by someone, so I figured why not give them a new home. I generally make sure they smoke well, and then gift them. I started cleaning and polishing old pipes as a way to learn how to make pipes. Believe you me, I still have a lot to learn. :)

But, I love sanitizing and bringing that old polish out in these well-loved pipes. It's so amazing to see them glint again, once you get all the oxidation and grime off them.

So, I hope to convert more friends to this wonderful hobby. After all, pipe men are intelligent, genteel, and generally easy going. What else can you ask for in a friend. :)

Martin

MartinH, you are so right. I have done that a couple times too. I have found that I like the older Dr. Grabow pipes once you strip that 1/2 inch thick red gunk of the outside. Then open the throat up a bit. They become some decent smokers. Full of fills but decent smokers. If I run across a couple Grabows at a yard sale or junk sale I'll pick them up. Just for something to play with and give away if anyone ever asks about a pipe. But I am nowhere a restorer like LL and others here.

Hmmm maybe I should give that a go. I've had a lot of other musicians over in my studio the last few days and I ban cigarettes inside, many seemed interested in the smell coming from the old pipe stand on my mixing desk, maybe I too should give away a few cobs and some Carter Hall.

Always trying to convert people to pipe smoking. Have a couple guys (brothers) that tried pipe smoking with their father, but could never get into it. He has since past, and they said it would be something they would like to try brought them some baccys on our annual camping trip and bam, two new pipe smokers!

I've tried to convert some cigarette-smoking friends and family; the big speedbump for them has been the difference in smoking time. Did successfully welcome back a prodigal son to the briar at one point, also a satisfying experience.

My father smokes cigarettes and expressed interest in pipes, so I'm making him one from a kit right now. Maybe he'll be converted