Smoking habanos in my pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

innovador

Reaction score
Back in 1996 when I was much younger and audacious, I went to Cuba to get me some cigars. Among the acquisitions I made at that time, there were two boxes of Montecristo A. Monte A was the larger cigar shape that Cuba made at that time. When I tried some the Monte As, the draw was too tight for smoking. I kept the cigars well humidified until yesterday that I decided to do an experiment with them. I was going to open some Monte As and take apart the different type of leaves (volado,ligero,seco and the capa) and prepare them to steam them with Virginia pipe tobacco to make some new blends. You know different time of steaming for the different type of leaves.

When I was doing the classification of the leaves, I found a very special seco leaf that called my attention for its exquisite fragance. I was not going to steam that leaf!. So I decided to make small fragments and smoke it on top of some Virginia tobacco in my pipe.

After a frustrating morning at the work today, I took my lunch break and went to execute my elaborate plan and smoke the habano seco leaf in my pipe. At first, the intensity of the smoke was too high but the extraordinary aroma overcame it soon and made it very palatable and anjoyable. The only thing to complain about was that the smoke came to an end too soon. Really, a memorable smoke!!!

It is a shame that Cuba only produce a second rate pipe tobacco (picadura) named La Escepcion. They dont know
what they are missing.

I was younger and more audacious in 1996 too, but I never made it to Cuba!

I´ve done this with some Cohibas that were given to me a few years ago. Strong for sure.... but tasty nonetheless....

I've ground up some butts of Partagas Black Label Magnifico cigars that I smoke now and then and add the leaf to C&D Engine99. Makes a "seasoned" pipe tobacco and a rewarding smoke. I've also tried to smoke the cigar leaf straight and later decided that if I'm going to do that I might just as well smoke a great cigar. I always keep a box on hand.

Sounds like a lot of guys out there have played with this concept. Me too. Among several blends that I've been working on over the years is one I call "BATF Burley Blend". It's a mix of a number of known and revered Burley blends from different sources...many containing VA's as part of their make-up...then a fair amount of blenders like
Carolina Ribbon, Tennessee leaf, Dark Fired Kentucky...then some straight Red VA...with just a little Perique mixed in...no Latakia or Orientals to speak of. Notable in there are a couple of ISOM's - the obligatory Monte and a large Siglo as well...both of which were sent to me and arrived in semi-destroyed condition. I thought, let's not make this a total loss...I can add them to 'the blend'. They added a very notable undertone of mello cigar notes...an excellent addition. They don't totally define the blend, but add noticable dimension. Condimental.

Now I need to start in on a new blend. With all the hype surrounding GLP's new JackKnife Plug, and my newfound affinity to dark and strong blends such as Gawith's Dark Plug (etc.) I'm convicted to develop a blend that is rooted in America with Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia...and with my requisit level of Burley for base...but now with a STRONG and DARK focus. I'll have to think on this one.

As always, taking suggestions.

Havana tobacco is simply Divine, smoke it any way that you want and it always tastes Divine!!!