Smoking in Heavy Wind

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinH

Reaction score
Does anyone have tips on how to smoke in heavy wind? This evening I spent about 20 minutes waiting for my wife. I was picking her up from work, and figured I'd tried to enjoy a little leaf. The wind was so bad that within a few minutes my bowl was hot to the touch, the smoke bit my tongue and it was a rather unpleasant experience. I figure there have to be ways to get this accomplished?

Should I use a deeper bowl? A larger bowl? I thought about a wind cap, but I'm afraid that will ruin the finish.

I guess I could just avoid smoking in wind, but since I only get to smoke outside, that isn't always possible. :)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

When it is really windy, I try to keep the bowl covered with a couple of fingers.

The wind doesn't bother me, unless it's blowing hard
from the east. Then it overpowers my window fan. :lol:

Pipe wind screens are cheap.

Sometimes you can even turn the pipe upside down. Sounds funny and all, but it works.

i saw somewhere very long time ago a Dunhill with a silver windscreen, a nice little silver(y) perforated contraption mounted on top of the bowl which apparently allows you to draw and yet prevent the wind of heating tobacco too much and burning too fast.
recently a read that it was an invention that made money and fame for Dunhills: it was created to enable pipe smokers to smoke while riding in the cars of the epoque: those beatiful large open creation like Bentleys 3-litre etc etc.

back to more practical solutions: i live in Holland, a lot of wind, always, so i use my fingers.... :lol!:

I usually just pay a couple of illegal aliens 50 cents apiece to follow me around and block the wind. It's cheap, effective and gets them out of Home Depot. :lol!:

MartinH, the city where I live is very windy and I usually smoke outside (like most of we brothers, we dont have a choice there ;) ).

I use a small straight Marxman for smokes at the park and I have to light the pipe behind a wall to cover from the wind. But after the tobacco is burning well, I have not problem at all. So, I would recommend using a small straigth pipe for control of the smoke rather that big bend one.

I could be wrong, but I have found packing a little tighter helps. it makes sense to me, anyway--combat the abundance of oxygen with less surface for it to hit between the pieces. Anyone else found this to be true?

Hold the bowl with the butt of your hand, pinky and ring fingers. Cover the pipe with the rest of your hand, and better to do this in conjunction with a windcap. Caeful with your draw. Takes practice to master burn control in the wind, but it can be done well enough.

If burnout or any pipe damage is a concern, carry backup cob. Tall pipes do work better.

I've recently bought a "heavy guage windcap." Much better quality than the standard cap, but pricey and I've only seen them at vegassmokes.com Truthfully, I've not given it enough use for a decent review, but they are superior. Will post my evaluation in the proper forum once I get to know it better.