Smoking In Parks

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puffy

Reaction score
When I was a good bit younger than I am these days my wife and I lived in an area that some folks refered to as down river.That being that we lived a ways down the Detroit river from Detroit.In those days we would sometimes get a bag of burgers,fries, a drink and sit on a park bench along the river side and have lunch.After we ate I would light my pipe and watch boats go up and down the river for a while.Some times we would wave at folks on the boats.Some of them even waved back at us.A simple not so expensive way of enjoying life with someone that I've loved being with for fifty years now.These days a bunch of nuts are trying to have it so that we can no longer smoke our pipes in parks.The Big Apple is one place that comes to mind.I moved back to Carolina fifteen years ago so I dont know if folks can still smoke pipes along the Detroit river.I hope they can.I have very fond memories of those times when I did..

Since you are in NC, you should know that Raleigh has made it illegal to smoke in city owned parks. The two exceptions are downtown where most of our "esteemed" legislators hang out

It's got to the stage where I just ignore such diktats here in GB. I smoke where I like, as long as it doesn't bother people, this includes baggage handling areas of airports for example.
Nobody has ever told me to stop! I also treat "No Smoking" signs as convenient places to tap the ashes from my pipe and used to put my cigs out on them.
If you let yourself be dominated by Idiocy, you deserve to be dominated by Idiots. I also occasionally walk around with my unlit pipe in my mouth just to wind them up.

Markx,
I like your approach to the smoking ban problem. I tend to ignore stupid rules such as you can't smoke walking downtown. I do anyway. I do try to be considerate of others, but I'm outdoors for crying out loud. If we don't stand up for our rights, the anti-smoking group may prevail. I was in a resturante recently that had a smoking section, however, they didn't allow pipes or cigars. Whats up with that? Smoke'em if you got'em guys.

Ken

Markx and NavyDad: I love to smoke my pipe as I approach a store from the parking lot. Then as I enter, I just hold the bowl cupped in my hand until the pipe is out and then I "wear it" in my mouth. I enjoy the looks I get from the sales people and security people such as at Walmart who don't really know what to say. Nobody ever bothers me. I honestly think people enjoy seeing a man with a pipe. There is a sense of nostalgia.

That sounds like fun, LIPIPE. I'm gonna start "wearing" my pipe in stores. Can't wait to see the looks I get.

Ken

Hehehe, know what you mean, LIPIPE ! I've even had comments that my tobacco smelled nice!
The compulsive non-smokers are so surprised they don't know what to do. In fact it's so much trouble for anyone to actually do anything about smokers, they invariably don't bother.
Trying to ban smoking *outdoors* FFS is beyond pisstake though, it's provocation. Plenty of overthrows of governments happening, they need to be careful not to overstep the mark.