Smoking in the cold

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob the coldblooded

Reaction score
First i wasn't sure where to post this, so here it is. i know for meer pipes it can be risky to smoke in the cold. but what about briar or corncobb pipes? Will they be at risk for anything?
I'm going ice fishing tomorrow, it'll be about 20 degrees with some winds. i also smoke cigars so i wondered if it would just be safer for me to do that.

Thanks, Jacob

I'd be more concerned with the wind. Having never been ice fishing before I need to ask: will you be in a shed?

Anytime there is possibility to drop your pipe in the water, I'd take multiple cobs.

Cigars are something I'm dabbling in a little more than I used to. When I smoke them in the cold, something about the wrapper warping and even splitting happens. Being a noob in that department, I have no idea if it was me or not. *shrug* Tasted good, though!

Smoking meers in the cold is a contentious subject. I recently had a brand-new meer crack the other evening, and so there's that. Interestingly, I had a conversation with a brother that had the same thing happen in 90'F weather. So, it's one of those things. My other meer I've been smoking in the cold for months now, and it's actually colored BETTER in that time. *shrug* It's a risk we assume, and sometimes is out of our control as they're natural products that can contain hidden, natural flaws. Cobs and briar can subject to this as well.

The flexibility and forgiveness of briar and cob alike seem to be anything-goes kind of pipes for any condition. Cobs tend to suck up moisture, both ambient and via smoke, and dry areas like where I live are very favorable for cobs to that end. Briar, then, becomes a pretty universal choice, because they have a pleasant taste to the smoke and there's been no weather condition (other than wind) that causes them ill performance. Wind just...blows...no matter what pipe you take outside, though.

8)

i wont be in a shed, but i wont be near the holes while i'm smoking. Rather by the fire.

I read your thread about the meer crack, that's too bad. I'm not sure if there is a right / wrong way to smoke a cigar, as i am a noob as well. to both pipes and cigars haha.

I cant help ya on the cigars but I know that Briars can handle the cold pretty good.

I.E.: I leave my pipe (whatever Im smoking that day) in my Jeep when I get to work (from smoking it on the way there), and light it up when I get done. Keep in mind that it has been in the "balmy" 20's for a high here in South Jersey the past week so it has been properly "chilled" by the time relight has occurred.

So far, "knock on wood" everything has been ok :D

As far as you go and the wind: could be a problem lighting and not getting the bellows affect (the wind will actually act like a bellows on the ash in the bowl) but a little cupping the bowl and such should do the trick with that

i was on the ice today, no wind with about 22 degrees as a high and smoked my cheap corncobb. all was well.

:D thanks for the help guys

I've never had a problem with a Cob in cold weather. Another plus is that if something does happen, your not out much if something happens to the Cob while your out.

Rob_In_MO":lpsqztif said:
I've never had a problem with a Cob in cold weather. Another plus is that if something does happen, your not out much if something happens to the Cob while your out.
This.

I would be more concerned with the other actvities that ice fishing entails. I have never made it back from a fishing trip without dipping into to the "antifreeze." Cob is the way to go here.

I was Running the grill and keeping the fire stoked up than hovering over the holes haha. Brought my cobb just in case though, everything turned out fine :D

Those janky fire pits are a true joy when smoking outside. My apartment complex would be pissed if I had one, though. On a 5' x 8' porch, I'm lucky to have a chair for my feet and one for me. Works okay. Next step: a place with a yard with a wind break and a fire pit. :D

Meh, pipe failure happens. Look at Dr T's thread about his brand-new Pete burning out after a half dozen bowls. Pipes are tougher than they look, mostly.

I'll always remember my first cob, a kayak, a fish landing, the cob going ker-plunk in the lake, stringing a gorgeous trout, and paddling back to a floating pipe--dried out in 24 hours, smoked it the next day (and I still have it). Cobs amaze the hell out of me beyond just a good smoke.

8)