Smoking indoors . . .

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, thanks for mentioning that air purifier. I set up my studio with a fan by the window to suck the smoke out, but the smell remains. Maybe I'll see about getting one of those.

Thank you for the information, John. I have a similar situation here at the house and Michigan winters can be quite brutal for taking the briar for a walk outside on a regular basis. I will definitely be looking into one of these units. :cheers:

Coming from the Cigar side of the force, I too have faced 100 degree temps thru below freezing to preserve a quality of life indoors separate from my bad habits.

One night after staring on a pipe during the storm, I lite up inside the kitchen which has an exhaust fan to the outside (smart right?),

Well it caused a disturbance in the force as you may already know, and started a bad habit indoors I'm finding hard to control.

If this filter helps I can restore peace and balance to the force once again.

Great post, John.

Thank you for the additional information, John. I will probably be getting one of those units soon. It sounds like it really does the job.

I use an air purifier as well. When I purchased it I also checked out the cost of replacement filters. Some of the filters cost almost as much as the purifier itself! Also, filters can be hard to find for older models. I found a good price on replacement filters for my purifier online a few years ago, and bought about ten to stash away. Some purifiers have washable filters, and some have both a washable filter and a replaceable filter.

I'm an outside pipe smoker, and it has been a <<very>> hot summer.

I would mention that there was a Youtube video in which the presenter had gone to great lengths to keep his clothes, etc., totally separate from his indoor smoking so that they wouldn't pick up the aroma, and he only smoked in the evenings. He thought that this was working just fine. However, at work a female colleague won some award and it was hugs all around. When it came time to hug this gentlemen, she remarked, "You always smell like an old pipe, but I'll hug you anyway!" He was shocked.

I liken it to cigarette smoking. It seems (to me) you can almost always tell if someone has had a cigarette -- gum, perfume, cologne, etc., don't seem to make that much difference.

Obviously, this is not the case for you, and the Youtube guy did not specifically mention using an air purifier.

John,

I have a Honeywell QuietCare 17000 Purifier that I keep set between my chair and my Wife's. With the purifier set on a higher setting, she can hardly even smell the smoke from my pipe. I spray some Lysol and/or NeutrAir around the room at the end of the night to keep things fresh. I also sometimes burn an Air Wick lavender scented candle in the room as well, which helps too. We've got to keep SWMBO happy after all!

Thanks for the tip on the air purifier. Every time I smoke indoors I hear, "Are You Smoking that Pipe Again!!"... I doubt the purifier is more noisy than that....

the Mrs. hates the English blends by the way...I love the English blends for two reasons..1) I like the flavor and 2)It's a subtle way to get the last word in after a slight argument :D .. so, I'll turn the purifier (if I get one) off for those blends..

NeroWolfe":d7p1lycy said:
I use an air purifier as well. When I purchased it I also checked out the cost of replacement filters. Some of the filters cost almost as much as the purifier itself! Also, filters can be hard to find for older models. I found a good price on replacement filters for my purifier online a few years ago, and bought about ten to stash away. Some purifiers have washable filters, and some have both a washable filter and a replaceable filter.
Point taken, Nero. I have one of those washable filters but haven't needed to wash it yet so I hope it works out okay.

forsooth":ngft9ao5 said:
I'm an outside pipe smoker, and it has been a <<very>> hot summer.

I would mention that there was a Youtube video in which the presenter had gone to great lengths to keep his clothes, etc., totally separate from his indoor smoking so that they wouldn't pick up the aroma, and he only smoked in the evenings. He thought that this was working just fine. However, at work a female colleague won some award and it was hugs all around. When it came time to hug this gentlemen, she remarked, "You always smell like an old pipe, but I'll hug you anyway!" He was shocked.

I liken it to cigarette smoking. It seems (to me) you can almost always tell if someone has had a cigarette -- gum, perfume, cologne, etc., don't seem to make that much difference.

Obviously, this is not the case for you, and the Youtube guy did not specifically mention using an air purifier.
I suppose that's one issue you can't get around if you smoke a pipe. Your shirts will smell a bit. Maybe we should all get one of those smoking jackets as they had back in the day! :cheers:

choch":61au4ul2 said:
John,

I have a Honeywell QuietCare 17000 Purifier that I keep set between my chair and my Wife's. With the purifier set on a higher setting, she can hardly even smell the smoke from my pipe. I spray some Lysol and/or NeutrAir around the room at the end of the night to keep things fresh. I also sometimes burn an Air Wick lavender scented candle in the room as well, which helps too. We've got to keep SWMBO happy after all!
Good tip, Craig. Never thought of Air Wick. I wonder whether it's cheaper than the candle I bought. Yes, life is much easier when SWMBO is happy!

Airborne":rxvinz2p said:
forsooth":rxvinz2p said:
It seems (to me) you can almost always tell if someone has had a cigarette -- gum, perfume, cologne, etc., don't seem to make that much difference.

I suppose that's one issue you can't get around if you smoke a pipe. Your shirts will smell a bit. Maybe we should all get one of those smoking jackets as they had back in the day! :cheers:

I think I would look dapper in a silk jacket on my porch puffing away, (what do you say Heff olde boy?).

Boulder":x1gf5ae5 said:
Airborne":x1gf5ae5 said:
forsooth":x1gf5ae5 said:
It seems (to me) you can almost always tell if someone has had a cigarette -- gum, perfume, cologne, etc., don't seem to make that much difference.

I think I would look dapper in a silk jacket on my porch puffing away, (what do you say Heff olde boy?).
Go for it! Be sure to post a picture! :affraid: Hehehe!

Airborne":7x4i3l3k said:
Being in up state NY, do you ever go to Park Lane or Cup o' Joe's?
Hi! no I haven't been there yet. I do want to take a drive there one of these days. They're about 1-1.5 hours from me.
Cheers!

I'm just finishing up my basement as we speak...I have a raised ranch (split level). The downstairs (basement) (lower level) is now all finished with bathroom, laundry room, pellet stove, and even a jacuzzi. Now all I need is a new recliner (smoking chair) and I will be all set for the winter....I will post pics very soon.