Smoking inside

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briarbabe

Reaction score
Not really sure where I am going with this thread, it's just something that's been bouncing around my head for the last few days and to honest, I'd just like to hear some thoughts on this. I started smoking my pipe a few weeks ago in this glorious summer weather. I smoke outside exclusively for now. My sweetie is a summer time pipe smoker because he just doesn't want to smoke in his house. I on the other hand have a fireplace at my house and a rocking chair near it that are just begging to be smoked by this winter. My father did most of his pipe smoking in the winter and I quite enjoyed being around when he did. I am the head of my household and don't have to answer to anyone as far as smoking inside (yussssssssss!) However, I also have three children and run a daycare in my home. Needless to say I don't smoke around my kids unless we are all outside and they aren't forced to be standing/sitting right next to me. So even if I do smoke in my home, it would only be in the evenings. That still leaves the fact that my home is also my place of business and while I love the smell of pipe tobacco, stale smoke is another thing altogether. Unfortunately I do not have a room that I can use strictly to smoke in (one more year until my daughter goes to college) and so I'm left wondering...what to do, what to do?

Thoughts, suggestions, commiserations?

I've never had a problem with stale pipe smoke. I routinely smoke in the house in the evenings and there's no trace of smoke (stale or otherwise) in the morning, provided it's a pipe or two (and not a all day, nonstop marathon kinda smoke). YMMV, but for my part, pipe smoke doesn't seem to have the same lingering power that cigars or cigarettes do.

i keep hearing this can't smell the smoke thing, but you can smell it. if you are running daycare, i wouldn't risk it. we can't smell it because generally, we smoke.

I think stale smoke smell comes more from dirty ashtrays than anything else. Just dump and wash your ashtray before bed and maybe some airfreshener if needed.

somedumbjerk":w4g2fxzu said:
i keep hearing this can't smell the smoke thing, but you can smell it. if you are running daycare, i wouldn't risk it. we can't smell it because generally, we smoke.
I dunno...my wife has a pretty good nose and as far as she knows I only smoke in the basement. She works out of town, and I smoke in the house all week when she's gone - she hasn't smelled it yet (and she's NOT the type that would pretend not to notice...I kinda fear for my life if she ever notices :pale: ).

But I also don't run a daycare, so there's that.

I use to smoke in the house but after the first 25 -30 years of having  to clean walls ceilings and everything else from the gunk it leaves on everything, not to mention I hate the smell (smells like a dirty wet ash tray) I stopped. For the last 10 -15 years I've been smoking outside on my front porch rain or shine heat or cold. I've got a nice old rocker I can relax in and Carharts for the winter and a old post mounted oscillating fan for summer.

DSC01265.jpg

I smoke in front of a kitchen window with a fan that sucks out the smoke.
Works great.
And If I need to spit something out, I just spit in the sink!!

Fatman":tzbwuowp said:
I have an Ozone generating air cleaner. They are a bit pricy, but very effective.

http://www.alpineairpurifiersdirect.com/hepa-air-purifier/prod_4.html
I have looked into those and maybe when I get rich and famous I'll get a couple but, for now I'll spend the money on PAD & TAD.
Being outside on the porch in my rocker is quite and tranquil and the view of the pasture and the forest behind it is soothing.
Besides I get a real hoot out of watching the squirrels and calves play.

Non-smokers can smell the slightest trace of smoke. Taking into consideration some people's loathing of ANY tobacco, I'd smoke outside.

Welcome to the porch/patio/garage/shed/outhouse. :D

Cartaphilus":p0ni4scl said:
Being outside on the porch in my rocker is quite and tranquil and the view of the pasture and the forest behind it is soothing.
Besides I get a real hoot out of watching the squirrels and calves play.
This!!

i smoke like a chimney, and I smoke in the house and in the '98 GMC Suburban I drive. The house is large and well ventilated (the Suburban too!). I have a man cave in the basement of the house. There is a patio outside my new office, and I may take a break out there for a smoke and some reflection. My father smoked like two chimneys and smoked his pipes in the house, the car and the office.

When I was in college some professors still smoked during class. A bunch of them smoked in offices. Lots of us smoked in dorm rooms, frat houses, and common rooms in dorms. This was just what people did.

Having said all this, times have changed in general. In the minds of some modern, health-obsessed people, second hand smoke is now placed in the same category as open sores or active TB.

I think if you have a daycare in the home, you are probably not going to be able to smoke inside.

Fr_Tom":7av7fcra said:
Having said all this, times have changed in general. In the minds of some modern, health-obsessed people, second hand smoke is now placed in the same category as open sores or active TB.

I think if you have a daycare in the home, you are probably not going to be able to smoke inside.
^This. The parents will find out. It's just not worth it. :no:

I would think your major problem would be with whatever bureaucracy controls day care centers in your locality. With the general hue and cry against so-called third hand smoke these days, I suspect your home would be classified as a place of business since you conduct a presumably profit-making enterprise there. All the reams of regulations on businesses militate against you being able to smoke in the house.

Terry292":o1nlyckv said:
I would think your major problem would be with whatever bureaucracy controls day care centers in your locality.  With the general hue and cry against so-called third hand smoke these days, I suspect your home would be classified as a place of business since you conduct a presumably profit-making enterprise there.  All the reams of regulations on businesses militate against you being able to smoke in the house.
Nope, it's a home first, not an actual daycare center, so I'm fine. Besides which I'd never smoke my pipe during daycare hours anyway.

OK, so you don't intend to smoke indoors among your young charges, but you have a nice fireplace complete with rocking chair.

I would be hard to convince that occasionally smoking a bowl of pipe tobak indoors on a winter's eve would pose more of a hazard to residents and visitors than burning twenty pounds of kindling in the fireplace. After all, a pipeful of tobacco is about the amount that would fit into one of those wee plastic creamer containers you get with coffee at diners.

I have half a dozen smoking spots strategically placed and suitably "furnished" on my property, but New England winters can make even the sturdiest of pipers move indoors. And, since you have a fireplace, why not?

Just a basic Ioniser will do the job, causes smoke particles to bond (too much info and my head did a Homer 'BORING' so not sure on the Science rubbish there), they become too heavy and literally fall to the ground is the idea, no more smell just nice clean air, better for the kiddies as well as the bonding is not restricted to just smoke particles. ;)

I almost always smoke inside unless it's a non-aromatic or cigar(even though sometimes when I'm alone, I love laying on the couch smoking a good stogie and watchin a game or a movie. :twisted: )

Me and my fiance use smoke odor eliminator candles/sprays and an ionizer. I don't smell it because I'm an all day smoker, but everyone else says it just smells like incense and candles. I'm not sure the brand of candles we have, but they were picked up at the local B&M so they may have them at yours, too.