Smoking pipes now charging sales tax when shipping to NC

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swhipple

Reaction score
I just got an order from Smoking pipes.com and I noticed on the invoice that I was charged sales tax. I sent them an email quizzing them about it and I was told that since they merged with Cordell and Diehl, they now have to charge sales tax when shipping to NC.

It's not the tobaccopocolypse but it is something to consider if you reside in the old North state. It makes me sad since they were my go to E-tailer. Their customer service is top notch but adding 7% to the each bill will probably drive me somewhere else.

I find more and more of this happening when you purchase something online within the state you reside. I reckon it aint too bad but, I try to purchase outside my state to avoid it. Besides, it doesn't seem to get to me any quicker or be cheaper shipping when ordering in my state.

H'mm, they had been one of my two main suppliers; I'll have to take that extra 7% into consideration when making orders

Guess I missed the merger news!!! C&D and SP have merged? Or did one buy the other? And...When did this happen? Thanx in advance, FTRPLT

Isn't SP already in NC? (and if so, they should have been charging sales tax anyway, right?) Personally I'm not sure that I'd want to pay both sales tax and shipping. In fact, no, I wouldn't. (too many places to chose from that wouldn't charge a sales tax.)

As far as I know, most retailers Have to charge sales tax to customers who live in the states they have B&M's in. An example is , when I order something from the Cabelas's sporting goods catalog, because they have B&M's in Texas, I have to pay Texas sales tax on my order. This will become more prevelant in more states as time goes on. Get used to it  :twisted: :twisted:

Isn't SP already in NC? (and if so, they should have been charging sales tax anyway, right?) Personally I'm not sure that I'd want to pay both sales tax and shipping. In fact, no, I wouldn't. (too many places to chose from that wouldn't charge a sales tax.)
Their offices and B&M location is in Myrtle beach SC.

I'm with you on the shipping and taxes.

Ah,SC.

I read something the other day about the South, and it read the only thing good about the North, was North Carolina....

swhipple":vc3z2luh said:
Their offices and B&M location is in Myrtle beach SC.

I'm with you on the shipping and taxes.

Here's why, since C&D and SP merged they have some retail and sales in NC as this is  C&D's address:  
Cornell & Diehl, Inc.
P.O. Box 475
Morganton NC, 28680
The tax man SHALL BE PAID   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:

riff raff":h450evvi said:
Isn't SP already in NC?  (and if so, they should have been charging sales tax anyway, right?)  Personally I'm not sure that I'd want to pay both sales tax and shipping.  In fact, no, I wouldn't.  (too many places to chose from that wouldn't charge a sales tax.)
Even with the sales tax, they could at times be cheaper than other places. It just makes comparative shopping a bit tougher

Carlos":kiqiai4i said:
I always take advantage of the free shipping offer.
+1

All my tobacco orders ship free, except the occasional proprietary blends I can only get from the source (P&W, Peretti, Uhle, McCranie, etc.)

7%??? Hell, you should see what we have to pay in New York! :affraid:

Yeah, no big deal. If the vendor is in one's home state,we all pay the state sales tax -- sorry, suck it up  8) 

DoverPipes":bnptgmay said:
7%??? Hell, you should see what we have to pay in New York! :affraid:
We pay 8 3/4% up here in the DFW Metroplex !! The tax man shall get his  :twisted: :twisted:  Now ya know why the Brits smoke grp 1 and 2 sized pipes so much !!  :twisted: 

I have been pretty critical of Laudisi over on pipesmagazine.com forum but they are really just adhering to the law. It's hard to be peeved about that.
Anyway, I may be unique as I always pay my PA Sales tax for out-of-state mail order/internet purchases with my tax returns. Avoiding a tax is one thing; evading is quite another.