Smoking Room Redux

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Manhattan

Reaction score
My wonderful lady and I renovated my office/smoking room. Totally demo'ed a horrible 70s wood-panel closet, patched the plaster where it once stood, replaced moldings, and painted. Slow going as this is as humid/rainy as it's been.

She is very handy and did 90% of the non-painting work, and what's more, found this amazing thrfit-store hutch for all my pipes & tobacco.

More pics of the new-old desk, and me looking bummy in this Flickr set. I am a lucky and entirely underserving SOB.

Ceiling still needs a new color, and the curtain rods are "on order" (they're second-hand from her mother and we'll get 'em when next we truck up to Maine. The price is right!) Might paint the radiator, too. My leather club chair will join the room out of storage soon. We're getting there!

Really nice job. Love the hutch idea. Super job :D

Question... where's the picture of the wonderful lady?

Honest to goodness planks in the wall !!!!,,,,looks like you two have things under control,,,,sharp cabinet, lots of room,,,

okay what are the four tins over the door?

SP, The lady was working the camera, and quite refused to be photographed covered in paint, primer, and plaster dust as she was. 8)

Mark, that's backing the original 1920 horsehair plaster! It was pretty close to the point where we were going to have to wreck the whole thing and hang drywall, but we used the saws-all and crowbar veeerry gently.

Those tins are American Scotch snuff tins, freebies from NictotineRush--I love the design on them, straight out of early 20th c. industrial.

Sweet job Doc.
Thanks for the invite into your home bro, Excellent!
Love your pipe setup, and the choice of wall color.
Say Doc, I really dig the PA and CH tubs in the bottom shelf!............. dang bro, off for a bowl of PA on you!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Nnice, but where's the stereo system...gotta have tunes. :tongue:

hobie1dog":3i1iv77g said:
Nnice, but where's the stereo system...gotta have tunes. :tongue:
I need to figure out where to position the cumpture speakers. Times like these, I'm grateful I'm not an audiophile--I'd have no $$$ left for pipes!

time to upgrade those flimsey PC speakers.....those aren't real speakers anyway. ;)

Your lady let's you smoke IN the house??????
I'm lucky if I can even smoke out on the deck!!!! :x

Well done. That kind of work is no small feat, especially in August. I am sure you will much enjoy the fruits of your labor!

DoverPipes":jackw5so said:
Your lady let's you smoke IN the house??????
I'm lucky if I can even smoke out on the deck!!!! :x
Diito Dover, I feel your pain brother!!

Very Nice Doc! Great looking Den. I posted some pics of my den in the "Wanted Pics of your smoking den" thread, but I figured out later that the thread was like a year old. I'll post some pics in my own thread.

I still don't get the 'my wife won't let me smoke in the house' nonsense.. You a man or a 12 yr old????

Nice Doc. Mrs PB is far handier at crap like that than I am, I get lost trying to figure out what side of the screw driver to use..
God bless a handywoman.. :lol:

puros_bran":kody2hca said:
INice Doc. Mrs PB is far handier at crap like that than I am, I get lost trying to figure out what side of the screw driver to use..
Exactly! Mrs. Manhattan is a wood and product shop tech, so she runs the handywork for the house. Hell, she built the bed I'm sitting in.

Doc Manhattan":yzzto00j said:
puros_bran":yzzto00j said:
INice Doc. Mrs PB is far handier at crap like that than I am, I get lost trying to figure out what side of the screw driver to use..
Exactly! Mrs. Manhattan is a wood and product shop tech, so she runs the handywork for the house. Hell, she built the bed I'm sitting in.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Bringing back this thread because at long last, my smoking room is finished! Coat of paint on the ceiling, curtains, some art (including a print by Valky!) and we're in business.

Click on the photo to go to the gallery and see more of the new digs.

Very nice! That looks like a great place to work or relax. It's scorching in L.A. right now, I would trade for that view of fall leaves and rain in a heartbeat!

Cool pics Doc, I too like the wall color but Valky's prints could enliven any space. :D