Smoking Rope w/o Rubbing Out?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernLights

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been overdone already. I really did search. Found one thread, but 100% of the advice pertained to rubbing out.

Can anyone give instructions, or link to a video on how to smoke rope as coins, or preferably as a solid section of rope?

Does anyone know what the "traditional" way of smoking rope was, back in the day? Was it intended to be smoked as a cut section, coins rolled and stuffed, or fully rubbed?

My guess it that is was largely smoked rubbed out. I think this because it was a dual use product. It could be chewed or smoked. And often the bit that was chewed was saved and dried out to smoke later. I think that later smoke would have worked out better rubbed out.

I typically slice mine thin and rub it out. I have smoked them as coins. Then I rub out a small amount for the bottom of the bowl, slice the remainder then and fold and fill.

I get a better smoke when I rub it out. And with the strength of the tobacco with the density of the rope it takes too much tobacco to fill a bowl in coins versus rubbed out.

I would be interested in hearing how others smoke theirs as coins if they are getting a good smoke from it.

I don't think you have a chance in heaven to smoke rope as is. You'll be hard-pressed to light it and to keep it lit. I wouldn't even try it as coins, but then again every attempt I made to smoke pressed tobacco intact failed. I don't even try anymore. A consolation is that even rubbed out, pressed tobacco yields a longer smoke, and I like that.:)

williamcharles is the only one I remember who has written about smoking intact flake, but if I remember correctly only one in three tries was successful. Don't recall the thread.

FWIW, my usual attack on plug and rope tobacco has been to dice it. You can leave some pieces bigger than the others, and this would result in smoking the pressed tobacco more intact.

My first introduction to "rope" style of plug tobacco was with some British sailors I met in Hong Kong back in '69 and they cut off slices, rubbed it out in their palms and loaded it in their pipes and lit it. Everyone I've encountered since who smokes this stuff rubs it out as I don't think you can even light it without breaking it up some way. Hey cut a chunk off, put it in your pipe and put a match to it and you'll soon enough have an answer to your question :twisted: 

Thank you for your information and help. I guess I have no option other than to invent a way to do so. Will post when accomplished.

NorthernLights":dzvg2y6y said:
Thank you for your information and help. I guess I have no option other than to invent a way to do so. Will post when accomplished.
Good luck :twisted: 

I think that rope intended for the pipe is meant to be rubbed. The only time to leave it un-rubbed would be in the case of slicing off a bit to chew, rather than putting it in the pipe. And yes, the whole-leaf ropes made by Gawith and such work quite well for chewing.

My assumption has always been that rope, being extremely tightly twisted whole leaf tobacco with a wrapper leaf (much unlike long-filler cigars, where the filler is bunched and separate from the binder, and rolled much looser and layered in such a way so as to allow for air to easily pass through when drawing on one end) is very much a "convenience" preparation for tobacco, nothing more nothing less.

That is due to its density, it is easy to carry a small bit on your person, it retains its moisture, and can be sliced as needed.

I recall in one of his speeches, Twain said something about how he became popular with other young boys once he finally learned how to properly prepare plug tobacco for the pipe (the idea being this form was both smoked and chewed).

Can't even envision smoking a rope without first cutting it into coins, perhaps quartering them, and then rubbing out to dry. It comes so moist that this should be fundamental.

:silent: 

Cheers,

RR

The few times I've smoked rope, I sliced it into coins, quartered most of them, and rubbed out a few for the top and bottom. There would be at least a little drying time as well. I don't know if they would burn well enough if left any 'chunkier', but it could be fun to experiment!

...there's always biting off a chunk of rope, breaking it up with the teeth a little and putting it in your cheek... :twisted: :lol:

8)

Thanks for all the great info.

First, I'm a novice piper. I've never actually even held a piece of rope, but one is on it's way to me now, and I want to know what to do with it.

Kapnismologist, what you said makes sense. Perhaps it is true that it's structure was created purely as a storage and transport method, that allowed a blender to create a blend which would remain true proportionally, provided it was sliced transversely and then rubbed out. Perhaps it was never meant to be smoked as a section. But I like to play. Perhaps that is true for many pipers. After all, if we didn't, we'd likely be cigar smokers instead. :)

I understand it is far too wet to be smoked. Seems likely I won't be successful. But I'll still try.

What I envision is cutting a section, and making dozens of holes length wise all the way through it, with my poker. Wiggling/leveraging if necessary to legitimately open the holes to create at least a small passageway where air can be drawn through. I'll then cut a section out of it, like a pie slice, if it is too wide to fit into my bowl, and push/fold the two sides of the open gap created by the missing pie piece, to close it. Fit lightly but slightly snug into the pipe, and apply some rubbed out over top to help ignite. Thoughts?

Also, why is tobacco kept so moist, just so we have to dry it out to smoke it?

Kapnismologist":cic6p680 said:
I think that rope intended for the pipe is meant to be rubbed. The only time to leave it un-rubbed would be in the case of slicing off a bit to chew, rather than putting it in the pipe. And yes, the whole-leaf ropes made by Gawith and such work quite well for chewing.
This.

I've given it a shot a few times, and it just isn't for me...I usually stick to cutting it into coins and rubbing out.

alfredo_buscatti":ttfgv7rt said:
I don't think you have a chance in heaven to smoke rope as is. You'll be hard-pressed to light it and to keep it lit. I wouldn't even try it as coins, but then again every attempt I made to smoke pressed tobacco intact failed. I don't even try anymore. A consolation is that even rubbed out, pressed tobacco yields a longer smoke, and I like that.:)

williamcharles is the only one I remember who has written about smoking intact flake, but if I remember correctly only one in three tries was successful. Don't recall the thread.

FWIW, my usual attack on plug and rope tobacco has been to dice it. You can leave some pieces bigger than the others, and this would result in smoking the pressed tobacco more intact.
I use a bastardized fold and stuff for thin cut Danish flakes and it works well but for British flakes I rub'em  out now. I have never found anything in old British prose or poetry that claims the old timers smoked intact flake. I have found some references to rubbing out flake, thinly slicing and rubbing out twist/rope and slicing off thin shavings from plugs and loading the bowl. Keep in mind that rope and plug are two different forms of tobacco.

NorthernLights":73e4i3qd said:
Also, why is tobacco kept so moist, just so we have to dry it out to smoke it?
That topic is the subject of great debate. One of the guys who I would consider to be a mentor likes his tobacco "crispy", far too dry for my tastes. I actually find that moister tobacco is more flavorful. As a matter of fact, I find that certain tobacco when dried out will give me wicked tongue bite, but are harmless right out of the tin. Its a balance that you can only learn by trying and finding out what works best for you.

As far as your plug concept, even if you get the moisture level just right, unless you have a perfectly sized bowl I imagine you are going to have air flow issues and a really tough time getting to stay lit, if you can get it to light in the first place. I am interested to see how your attempts turn out.

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the info on the moisture thing.

On the rope packing thing, let me be very clear that I totally understand the challenges ahead, and that it is not the right/accepted way to do it. But I love to experiment, and it's only through doing so that we find new methods, techniques, even technologies. I will, for sure, post my results. If less than successful I may just post here. If successful, and I feel I am onto something, I'll create a new thread to get some more attention.

I appreciate your insight on the airflow issue. I believe that the drying (after hole making), will take longer. But the flow will be the major challenge. Homogenizing it over the cross sectional area of the tobacco as it descends in the bowl will be tough. I feel the make or break will be the pie slice cut, how seamlessly the edges fit together, and the fit in the pipe along the outside edge. I agree. It will be a significant challenge. Should be a fun project. FTR I envision doing this with an air pocket below the tobacco, but may change that to as light as possible gravity filled, rubbed out tobacco below.

Sir! Will report back with results, Sir! :)

I have used a coin whole. I used to make parfaits. Fill the pipe part way with some milder blend, then lay in a coin and finish filling the pipe with the milder blend. As you smoke down to it, the heat will cause the coin to expand a bit and unravel some. Then you get the kick from the rope and change in flavor for a time. Now days I just slice and rub out. Or take scissors and cut around the rope in little snips which makes small football shaped pieces that really do not need to be rubbed out.

When I smoke ropes I cut coins about the thickness of a nickel. I take one and roll it around in my palms to make a fluffy ball and drop that in to the bottom of the bowl. The rest I usually cut into pie shaped wedges and give them a quick roll across my palm and drop in the chunks. I usually save a few pieces and rub those to fine bits and drop those on top to ease lighting. I have just kind of folded and stuffed as well but find I get more flavor from the first method. I see no reason that poking holes in a chunk wouldn't work it should cause the burn to follow straight down the holes. Of course rope tends to expand when lit though which might cause the holes to seal themselves shut. Given my tendency to injure myself I'll leave that to braver souls. Definitely let us know how it works for you.

Jim

NorthernLights":30vdf6sy said:
Thanks for all the great info.
Perhaps it is true that it's structure was created purely as a storage and transport method, that allowed a blender to create a blend which would remain true proportionally, provided it was sliced transversely and then rubbed out.
This is good food for thought and good insight.

But I like to play. Perhaps that is true for many pipers. After all, if we didn't, we'd likely be cigar smokers instead. :)
Yeh! Have fun with your pipe and tobacco! I enjoy trying new things, new tobacco, and different ways of accomplishing a task.

What I envision is cutting a section, and making dozens of holes length wise all the way through it, with my poker. Wiggling/leveraging if necessary to legitimately open the holes to create at least a small passageway where air can be drawn through. I'll then cut a section out of it, like a pie slice, if it is too wide to fit into my bowl, and push/fold the two sides of the open gap created by the missing pie piece, to close it. Fit lightly but slightly snug into the pipe, and apply some rubbed out over top to help ignite. Thoughts?
My only thought is good luck and let us know how your experiments turn out!

Last but not least...
Slide":30vdf6sy said:
I think this because it was a dual use product. It could be chewed or smoked. And often the bit that was chewed was saved and dried out to smoke later.
EEWWWW :pale: :cyclops: :pale: :confused: :affraid: :shock:

leftover421":4yckt29e said:
Last but not least...
Slide":4yckt29e said:
I think this because it was a dual use product. It could be chewed or smoked. And often the bit that was chewed was saved and dried out to smoke later.
EEWWWW :pale: :cyclops: :pale: :confused: :affraid: :shock:
:lol: 

Ropes were used a lot by sailors and miners. In both of those occupations the smoking lamp is not always lit. But the nicotine craving doesn't care about that!