Smoking while reading

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenleaf

Reaction score
Nothing pairs with a good book like a good smoke, don't you think? Tobacco helps with concentration, contemplation, and flat out enriches the experience. Dropping the cigarettes has been simple enough ... finally. But, it seems that pipes are less practical for reading. With the pipe, reading can verge on multitasking, an idea I find loathsome in any situation. I've been reading Chomsky and an information-packed book on domestic surveillance after 9-11, so I really need to pay attention.

So, do you smoke while reading (duh) and what is your technique, if any?

I find that reading enhances the smoke. Often when reading I literally forget about the pipe on a conscious level, merely sipping as I read.
This does lead to more relights, but as my regular tobacco of choice tends to Virginia flakes, it really isn't a problem for me and the sipping, rather than puffing produces a nice cool smoke.
Often I find myself realizing a more subtle nuance to the smoke that had earlier escaped me.
Add a fine single malt or smooth bourbon and it's damn near heaven :lol!:

I love smoking a pipe while reading. I think the two go hand in hand. Although I think you need to look at the smoking aspect as more of a relaxation \ enjoyment venture rather than an investigative reviewing experience.

I too fall into the sipping while reading mode and often need to relight, which then takes away from the reading. But overall I like the combination.

Bent pipes are great for reading, or sitters, IMHO. Not a lot of effort or thought is needed to keep it in your mouth.

Sipping is exactly what I do while reading, now that y'all mention it. Yeah, I probably am overthinking it on more levels than one ( to my detriment). Thanks, this is reassuring. Guess I'll read and smoke more while "reviewing" less. I'll admit, Chomsky is a bit above my reading level at times, I'll have to re-read here and there, maybe consult my dictionary. That and in this book of his I'm on, Necessary Illusions, there are all these really long "commad up" sentences that I may get lost in for just a second. Not a good time to draw on my pipe and find I need a relight. I like his style, though, and his common sense way of thinking.

Shootist, I love to drink bourbon and smoke while doing virtually anything, but for me some strong ass coffee is best with reading. Now, for writing, I just might be three-quarters shitfaced.

I tried smoking while reading but with no hands fee I kept veering off the road. :arrow:

I like my Church Warden for reading, that is probably why it is sometimes called a reading pipe, that way the smoke does not get in my face which it does sometimes with my regular pipes.

Falconer":phizyj4c said:
I tried smoking while reading but with no hands fee I kept veering off the road. :arrow:
:cheers:

i don't even need the book...i'm not texting, damn it! just trying to relight my pipe. i gave up, now i just wait for a stop sign.

Give me a decent day outside. I found by using my Kindle e-book I can read with one hand holding the pipe and turn the page with a button. I have about 100 books stored to read on it. The old classics before 1927 are as a rule free to download and read and keep. I am reading the Life Of Abe Lincoln right now. Oh you never loose a page it bookmarks where you left off no matter how many books you read at a time. No page turning and if you wish it will play music of your choice using the MP3 Player while you read. Two joys in one... :cheers:

velveteagle":74z17nd6 said:
Give me a decent day outside. I found by using my Kindle e-book I can read with one hand holding the pipe and turn the page with a button. I have about 100 books stored to read on it. The old classics before 1927 are as a rule free to download and read and keep. I am reading the Life Of Abe Lincoln right now. Oh you never loose a page it bookmarks where you left off no matter how many books you read at a time. No page turning and if you wish it will play music of your choice using the MP3 Player while you read. Two joys in one... :cheers:

Yeah, but does it work without electricity? :lol!:

shootist51":96jquni2 said:
I find that reading enhances the smoke. Often when reading I literally forget about the pipe on a conscious level, merely sipping as I read.
This does lead to more relights, but as my regular tobacco of choice tends to Virginia flakes, it really isn't a problem for me and the sipping, rather than puffing produces a nice cool smoke.
Often I find myself realizing a more subtle nuance to the smoke that had earlier escaped me.
Add a fine single malt or smooth bourbon and it's damn near heaven :lol!:
No more to add than shootist did! :cheers: :cheers:

I love doing this, too. A recent book I've read (while smoking, of course) is How to Read a Book, by Addler and Van Doren. According to the aforementioned authors, a book should be over your reading level, or reading it won't really do you any good. If it isn't hard to comprehend, it will not likely expand your horizons much. Puff on and read on, gentlemen!

Actually, smoking helps me contemplate, not concentrate. I don't really feel like reading anything when I smoke. I just sit in my chair outside and observe while mother nature works its magic...

Note: who said pipe smoking was unhealthy? I never used to spend so much time outdoors, getting some fresh air, before I started smoking the pipe! ;)

The kindle may not work without electricity but since you only have to charge it one time a month I don't think it would die while you are reading and smoking on a pipe. I have yet to kill the battery on mine. The only problem is there are not many pipe related books on kindle yet. I have only came across a couple. :(

I smoke while I read almost always. Pipe tool on the right arm of the chair, matches on the left. You have to lean over the book and use your forearm to keep it open and continue reading while you jimmy the pipe tool or relight. Straight pipes keep the smoke out of your eyes more, but full bents rest nicely on your chest when your head is turned own toward the book. Take your pick.

I've never tried reading a book while toking on the pipe, I just like to think about " stuff " while smoking.

I just cleaned my kitchen while smoking. Doesn't feel anything like multitasking, which I hate to see and won't do.

Got another one loaded, now I've gotta select my book for the night, this is getting easier. Smoking is second-nature.

PipePuffer":levtu5t6 said:
I just sit in my chair outside and observe while mother nature works its magic...
I agree that this is the best way to enjoy a pipe! Doesn't get more luxurious than this. I wish I could do it more often.

But I love reading with a pipe, too. Bookstands are good since you'll have your hands free and can sit up straight should you wish to. Makes it much more relaxed since you don't have to worry about pages flipping and whatnot.

Novels and poetry more so than academic stuff, mind you. But wouldn't turn down either to accompany a good bowl or two!

Greenleaf":ukask73b said:
I just cleaned my kitchen while smoking. Doesn't feel anything like multitasking, which I hate to see and won't do.

Got another one loaded, now I've gotta select my book for the night, this is getting easier. Smoking is second-nature.
Talking about multitasking, I love pipe smoking, reading and listening some classical musical at very low volume. The only thing, I can do this only very seldomly when the wife and kids are not home. Pipe smoking truly allow you to read very complicated texts. Yes, I could dare reading semiotics with a heavy load of some english mixture in my pipe. ;)

I find that the pipe gives me a little time for reading which I didn't seem to have before. I smoke on my porch and it gives me a chance to be alone, away from the fam and noise. I often smoke with my Nording churchwarden.

And amen to everything Thomas said. Reading ability is like a muscle. If you don't do it, it atrophies. If you read above your level, your ability increases. We, as a culture, have become intellectually lazy. As to HOW to read books above your level, How To Read a Book has not been surpassed.