Smoking with a Upper Respiratory Infection

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stackle2

Reaction score
First I'd like to appologize if this is the wrong spot for this thread, didn't know what to catagorize it as.

For the past 5+ days I've been fighting a upper respiratory infection (lot of my coworkers have strep right now, but I don't think that what I have is as bad as all that) so I haven't been smoking at all (with the exception of an occasional newport to open up my bronci & help me cough). After reading Kyle's post regarding the correlation between tobacco quality & dottle quantity, I really began to crave a bowl of Anniversary Kake, so against my better judgement, I packed a rather skimpy bowl & very quickly decided that was a very poor idea. I couldn't taste ANYTHING, with the exception of a tiny hint of the sweetness of the virginia against the tip of my tongue. I smoked the whole bowl, but it was such a dissapointing gesture. Not being able to smell/taste the smoke really killed it for me, & considering I don't smoke the pipe for the nicotine, it was nearly pointless. I say nearly because the ritual of brewing my customary pot of tea, & packing my bowl & sitting outside for half an hour was very relaxing & after having a rather dismal week at work, it was exactly what I needed.

Have any of you guys been afflicted with a respiratory infection lately, & if so, how long did it take you to get the sense of taste/smell back? I just received a box full of some lovely blends I have yet to try, so I am very anxious to get my sniffer back & get smoking.

A week to beat the infection,,,a week or so after that for taste/smell to return

Yup...about a week. Some bourbon with lots of honey stirred in helps !

Unfortunately, due to the nature of my work, & the country I am working in, I can't get the bourbon. But I am drinking a lot of tea with honey & lemon, so that helps.

Well, another week then until my sniffer works well enough to appreciate good tobacco, not the end of the world, but does seem like a long time right now.

Amazing how much you miss the simple pleasures once they are gone!

"Kyle made me do it!" ...I haven't heard that one in a while; at least I didn't head to the Principal's Office this time. :p

I was sick very recently, and like you, Stack, was yearning for some smoky peace and respite from the pain and nastiness from a head cold (that then turned into an upper respiratory infection...)--bad idea. Everything tasted horrid, and I even thought it would be a good idea to try a new tobacco. Bleh!

Stick with your tea, though, a spot of strong Bo Nay or Oolong usually goes a LONG way...mint tea doesn't hurt either, in the evening. Let nature take its course, you'll be back to the ritual in no time. Get better! :)

I had a very nice oolong this evening, really cleared me up for a bit.

Lol, I wish blaming you for a little alcoholic respite would be enough to get me off the hook, but alas, its actually illegal to drink here....

Ahh...just 29 more days until I am back in the good ole' U.S. Can't wait.

Stackle2":54zeepdh said:
I had a very nice oolong this evening, really cleared me up for a bit.

Lol, I wish blaming you for a little alcoholic respite would be enough to get me off the hook, but alas, its actually illegal to drink here....

Ahh...just 29 more days until I am back in the good ole' U.S. Can't wait.
...not that I'd push you to drink or anything... :p :drunken:
drinktequilasmiley-1.gif
...well then, get home AND get better soon!

Ah, you don't have to push me kyle, I miss my booze dearly.

Have had the wife stock up on my favorites since I've been gone: Balvenie, Blantons, Laphroig, & all 4 types of patron. Might have to add a little fonsecca 29, then I'll be ready to sit on the back porch with the dogs, a stout blend, & just relax & let the stress of the last 12 months of being away just seep right out of my bones.

Stackle2":5g97j2ge said:
Ah, you don't have to push me kyle, I miss my booze dearly.

Have had the wife stock up on my favorites since I've been gone: Balvenie, Blantons, Laphroig, & all 4 types of patron. Might have to add a little fonsecca 29, then I'll be ready to sit on the back porch with the dogs, a stout blend, & just relax & let the stress of the last 12 months of being away just seep right out of my bones.
*raises glass* I've always said, "Scotch is the most patient, loyal and honest friend a man can have. It changes little, always waits for you, and when you've been hanging out too much, he'll tell you to leave." :) Gotta love it. 8)

Sounds like you've earned a looooong break, sir! :)

I found it best usually to not try for a week or more. Sometimes it takes a month before things start tasting good again. Even coffee.

alfredo_buscatti":8mq1sdsl said:
I am never ill as I am immortal.
Thank goodness. Please send this message to the future:

"I hate you, future, because I can't fly in a starship as we are now. Sincerely, Kyle."

I had a slight cold almost a fortnight ago, and now have a sore throat - only mild, but hard to shake off. I suppose I ought to stop smoking my pipes to give it a chance to clear up - I did for a couple of days, but it made no noticeable difference, so I started again. My taste isn't affected.

If it be your wish to fly in a starship, and of course, first achieve immortality, there are two avenues open to you.

The first is to become a fiendish bloodsucker of the first order; journey to New Orleans and secure an interview with Anne Rice. She seems to know a great deal about such matters. Your second avenue is to meditate yourself off the planet. Find a raja yogi, sit at his feet and when the time comes, kiss them. It is only by the tenacity of our thought, amplified by the energy of meditation, that we echo into the universe our deepest desires.

Once you are immortal, and I'd suggest the second avenue as as a vampire your life would not be long traveling by starship, bodies accreting in the hallways, the universe is open to you.

Boogie on!

I had the respritory infection as well, for almost 2 months!

I think since Im a pipe maker and had no choice but to make a few pipes these past few months just to be able to pay a few bills and get some medicine, so the dust really took a toll on any kind of recovery that was quick.

I just now started to cough up stuff. It isnt gone, but atleast I see that it could be gone in a few weeks or so, hopefully!!

I didnt smoke but maybe a few times during these past few months. There was no point I couldnt taste anything.

Brian
www.briarart.com

Theraflu!!

I swear by the stuff. I make my living playing trumpet so when upper respiritory crap hits I use it. Clears me up and I can play just fine. I live in one of the most polluted cities on earth so I'm no stranger to the sniffles. The sense of taste and smell will come back but never as soon as you'd like. If you can abstain meantime you'll be better for it.

My favorite "I'm Stuffy" tea is (for 32oz pot) 2 teaspoons of Rooibos, 1/2 teaspoon each of skullcaps(may cause drowsiness), eucalyptus, mullein, and if time for sleep a teaspoon of Camomile. Use boiling water, while it's brewing inhale the steam, it'll open you up pretty good.

I had something this past week. It took me about nine days and I still feel a little off. I've only smoked a couple bowls the past couple weeks. I hope you feel better soon.
Health,
Milan

I would go one to two weeks or more if needed, smoking sooner could cause an URI to relapse and come back stronger or even with a deeper ear and Lower RI.