Smoking with a Upper Respiratory Infection

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<hr />
Guy":t2dxz9mk said:
I would go one to two weeks or more if needed, smoking sooner could cause an URI to relapse and come back stronger or even with a deeper ear and Lower RI.
There are several ways to look at this.

First, is this limited to your head, or has it moved to your chest? Are you strictly a pipe smoker and if so, do you ever inhale? If the secretions are difficult to move, drink water until you are sick of it. I ask about the inhalation, because tobacco smoke paralyzes the ciliary escalator mechanism. Sometimes heavy smokers feel worse when they back off from smoking because the cilia become active again. Then you start hacking up some pretty foul stuff. Generally, these are cigarette smokers, pipe smokers fare much better. Another question is, what color is it and does it have a foul odor? Green, purple, and bloody/brown can be a good indicator to see the doctor. Most of us can fight off infections, but with something tenacious, take the easy way out and just go to the doctor. A gentle reminder, just because you might have some antibiotics on hand, try not to cave in to the temptation to use them. Antibiotics are species specific and also kill native fauna that are similar enough to the targeted organism. It's best to use the correct weapon. If all goes well, as stated in other posts, a week or two or more for your sense of taste to return. If it's in your chest, if you can resist smoking that is likely your best choice. If the infection gets worse, we have ways to help you...

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Zombie, actually been thinking of getting a snuff grinder & making some nasal snuff. Only problem is that most of the snuff grinders are actually designed as 'herb grinders', & don't really care to associate my credit card with head shops. Think I am going to order one from a culinary supply shop, get some bergamot oil, some menthol crystals, & make up a little batch of something that will clear me right up.

Lesath":tdv11u69 said:
Sometimes heavy smokers feel worse when they back off from smoking because the cilia become active again. Then you start hacking up some pretty foul stuff. Generally, these are cigarette smokers, pipe smokers fare much better. Another question is, what color is it and does it have a foul odor? Green, purple, and bloody/brown can be a good indicator to see the doctor. Most of us can fight off infections, but with something tenacious, take the easy way out and just go to the doctor. A gentle reminder, just because you might have some antibiotics on hand, try not to cave in to the temptation to use them. Antibiotics are species specific and also kill native fauna that are similar enough to the targeted organism. It's best to use the correct weapon. If all goes well, as stated in other posts, a week or two or more for your sense of taste to return. If it's in your chest, if you can resist smoking that is likely your best choice. If the infection gets worse, we have ways to help you...

Hope you get to feeling better soon.
Lesath, I smoke both pipe & cigarettes, although I have successfully cut back on the sticks to an almost non existant level. Probably why this URI is kicking my ass so bad though. I have a habit of overhydrating anyway, so that makes breathing a bit easier. Regarding the antibiotics, unfortunately, where I work is in one of the malaria hotzones of southeast asia, so we take broad spectrum antibiotics as a prophylactic measure, so I imagine that whatever I have probably wouldn't respond to a Zpack anyway.

im a fan of nasal snuff, i have a few tins of ozona spearmint, that WILL clear your sinuses. Add that to the antiseptic properties of snuff, it has helped me before.

That makes it tough on you, but the situation is what it is. One thing to consider is that the Z-pac is a heavy dose of Macrolides, which likely are not in the broad spectrum prophylactic dose you are on. If you have any connections in the medical field, see if they can acquire what is called an Accapella for you. By breathing through it, it helps vibrate the secretions and help you work them up. The good thing is it's portable and requires no gas connections. I think it's time to log onto Ovid and do a little research on your part of the world.

Lesath, I actually do have connections to the medical/surgical detachment here. One of the primary issues with minor ailments is that they [our medics] are extremely proficient at treating severe trauma here, they do amazing things for guys that get hit by RPG's, GSW, severe blunt trauma, kinetic shock, but not so great about day to day treatments.

I'll ask about the treatment you suggested though, you never know, they might have something similar.