Smoking your own Latakia

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timbo

Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just wondering as I was smoking some bacon, has anyone here tried smoking your own Latakia and no not in your pipe, in a smoker.

Was thinking about getting some Smyrna and smoking it over pine chips. This train of thought was sparked as we can't get Syrian Latakia anymore and Cypriot could go the way of the dodo too heaven forfend.

Anybody tried this? I'm looking at you here Oz. :)

Cheers

Tim

I could feel your gaze Sir...........

Sure. I smoked some Burley a while back and came up with a 'Kentucky' thing going on. So then I thought, why not try a 'Latakia', of sorts? So I got some Izmir and already had Yenidji leaf and had a go...

Not entirely successful. Actually, I wasted the whole two pounds. It was terrible.

I think I worked out the issue however. When I did the thing with the burley, I grew it, and hung it and smoked it while it cured. The Orientals however, were already cured. Like Virginia tobaccos, they didn't accept the smoke curing attributes as well as Burley. Sure, the batch smelled like smoke, but the flavor profile was vile. (In my opinion, and compared side to side with purchased Latakia). So it seemed the next step was to grow some Oriental plants and try again next year. Of course, the Ozarks aren't quite the same environment as the coast of the Mediterranean, but I have already created a raised bed of rather sandy/poor soil to try to match the ground conditions. I have on hand seeds from The Tobacco Seed Company. List as follows.....

Bafra
Basma
Izmir
Samsun
Sherazi

I was hoping to get some Shek-el-bint seeds, but alas, my associate who lived near the town of Latakia has been displaced and I have not heard from him in a great while.

At any rate, I believe that if the leaves are smoked while cured the result will be more to our liking.

There's my Tuppence....

Seems to me that the biggest problem you might encounter is acquiring sufficient camel dung to build the fire from here in the US :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Kinda like finding thighs of virgins to roll the cigars on if you wanted to make good cigars :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":a94xn814 said:
Seems to me that the biggest problem you might encounter is acquiring sufficient camel dung to build the fire from here in the US :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Kinda like finding thighs of virgins to roll the cigars on if you wanted to make good cigars  :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I have llamas, which are technically mini camels, and it's been so long that my wife has had sex that she may technically be a virgin.............

At least as far as I know............

Back to the asylum, I know........

Thanks for the response Wiz. Sad to hear it didn't work out but at least you've served as a warning to others :)

Did you hot or cold smoke it if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks

Tim

Well, as far as hot or cold, I'll say.........

Ambient temp was 85 degrees F.
Relative humidity was 30(surrounding air)
Confined temp was 180 degrees F. Just less than stoving Virginia.
Oak from Utah mountain highlands(closest thing to what is used in the Med), sage, etc......

My mix may have been off too. Just relying what I tried........

I have nothing to contribute but am thoroughly enjoying this thread. Juan.

Cheers for the info Wiz. I may have a play with some Izmyr and VA leaf I've got. Will give this a crack when I've got some time up my sleeve. Enquiring minds want to know. At least I've a purpose in life, even if it's as a warning to others. :)

Cheers

Tim

I encourage you to go easy on sage or anything like sage, or to omit it entirely. But just intuition. De gustibus etc.

Was just thinking of using pine chips with maybe some gin for the juniper flavour. Any particular reason for not using sage?

Thanks,

Tim

No special reason, just a feeling. The musing of a vicarious cook.

I'm trying to get my head around a Latakia with juniper notes before I say anything else.

check the Leffingwell article. you may need pistacia instead of pine.