Smokingpipes.com

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Burley

Reaction score
...just F'ed Up their website big time and called it "improved." Thought they were smarter than this. Al Pascia's site is where it's at, IMO. What's he know that no one else seems to?

I dont care for the new website. It takes a bit of time to get used to the layout and how to use the menu options.

To put it bluntly, the "new" site layout SUCKS JMHO you understand  :twisted: :twisted:

I agree whole hardheartedly, why must these Yahoo's keep trying to fix something when it aint broken.
That and it's like moving the furniture on a blind man, now ya can't find noth'en!

Saw the new layout yesterday when they sent the newsletter. Can't say I like it. The estate icon brought up only new pipes and even the home page didn't have a link there. Tried locating it through the search function but that only brought up 2 estate pipes! No way that's right.

Once again they're trying fix something that ain't broken. Leave well enough alone already!

:x 

No Cheers,

RR

I mailed 'em about what I thought about their "new" site and this what Mark replied with. Looks like we'll be stuck with some version of their "improvement" in the future. As they say, "... change is the only constant in the world"  :twisted:  :twisted:

"Hi Michael,

Nothing is etched in stone with the new design of the site and the IT department is working on making it easier to navigate. We have had mixed reviews on the new site and I will pass along your email to the appropriate people. We do appreciate your feedback and your business. Have a great weekend."

Mark Pluta
Customer Service Liaison

Customer Service

Smokingpipes.com

1-888-366-0345

Cartaphilus":hxunedhb said:
That and it's like moving the furniture on a blind man, now ya can't find noth'en!
Exactly.

Sometimes progress isn't forward.

I didn't like the last upgrade and told them as much months ago. But then I gradually got used to it. And they seemed to work out the gliches. Hopefully it'll be the same this time.

I feel they are sensitive to feedback, so keep those cards and letters coming in.

Still, I don't understand why they need to muck about with something that ain't broke!

:no: 

Cheers?

RR

Brewdude":5p12uhbn said:
I didn't like the last upgrade and told them as much months ago. But then I gradually got used to it. And they seemed to work out the gliches. Hopefully it'll be the same this time.

I feel they are sensitive to feedback, so keep those cards and letters coming in.

Still, I don't understand why they need to muck about with something that ain't broke!

Cheers?

RR
I talked to Mark also and in my opinion he is one of the best people they have working for them and has always treated me with the up most respect as I do him and went the extra mile for me countless times.
That said, as far as the website changing I think if they didn't change something ever so often that there IT and web designers would be out of a job. Of course that doesn't make it right either and I hate it as much if not more then many of you. :fpalm:

Guess I need to check it out, haven't been on their site for a while now...

Been kinda gun shy about online orders of late.......

In the church we have a joke. The two things people hate most are change and the way things are.

It looks like a web site to me. Not being the most discerning consumer, I would be hard pressed to identify specific changes. Content seems to be about the same. When P&C did the last update all the history and reviews were lost. I hope that is not the case here...

From an aesthetic standpoint, I always liked the clean look of their old site. Visually, this one is definitely more cluttered. It's like they're trying to balance the look of their Blog site with that of the web store.

Altogether, I admire what they do and their successful business model, but I have to agree with the consensus here. Someone threw the baby out with the bathwater on this one.

Oh well. At least it's not as confounded or as trashy as P&C.com's site.

Yep!! Agree with all the previous observations. I really and truly don't get the problem with the "Estate Pipes" icon. How in the hell could/would they "mess" that up?? I just don't see what was wrong with the previous setup :suspect: :cheers: FTRPLT

ftrplt":g4qja6f6 said:
Yep!! Agree with all the previous observations. I really and truly don't get the problem with the "Estate Pipes" icon. How in the hell could/would they "mess" that up?? I just don't see what was wrong with the previous setup :suspect: :cheers: FTRPLT
So I take it the estate icon doesn't work for you either? Using the home page search feature is less than helpful.

:roll:

Cheers,

RR

edit: Just found that using the home page and clicking on "pipes" and then "estates" I could get to the new estate offerings. But why wouldn't they have this feature automatic when using the newsletter icon for estates? That's the first thing I look at when I get the newsletter.

Speaking of "first thing I look at," the FTILA is the subset "Flame Grain" under the Peterson rubric. (I just happen to like 'em.) You can't do that now, or with any other subset, which is what prompted my original post. The column on the left listing pipe brands is redundant and takes up way too much space. I guess we could make a collective list of personal irritants (weird fonts, etc.), but to hell with it. Sykes is a smart lad, and I imagine this is temporary.

Richard Burley":w9el4tdj said:
Speaking of "first thing I look at," the FTILA is the subset "Flame Grain" under the Peterson rubric. (I just happen to like 'em.) You can't do that now, or with any other subset, which is what prompted my original post. The column on the left listing pipe brands is redundant and takes up way too much space. I guess we could make a collective list of personal irritants (weird fonts, etc.), but to hell with it. Sykes is a smart lad, and I imagine this is temporary.

Well said Richard. I wonder if SP.com looks at our little world here on BoB and can see some of the feedback? After all Shane Ireland was (and still is) a member, and he's a SP guy now.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude said:
ftrplt":fxt682ua said:
So I take it the estate icon doesn't work for you either? Using the home page search feature is less than helpful.

:roll:

Cheers,

RR

edit: Just found that using the home page and clicking on "pipes" and then "estates" I could get to the new estate offerings. But why wouldn't they have this feature automatic when using the newsletter icon for estates? That's the first thing I look at when I get the newsletter.

Yep, this method gets you to the "estates," finally!! But as pointed out above, all the good subsets seem to be missing. The whole setup is just a mess :suspect: Keep on telling them about it :twisted: :cheers: FTRPLT

Just heard back from SP.com CS. They acknowledge that the link on the newsletter is broken and that their IT guys are on it. Looks like it just wasn't something on my end (for once).

Cheers,

RR