Snuff making

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huffelpuff

Reaction score
Ok so I've been bitten. I enjoyed the smell of HH ODF so much that I mixed up a small test batch to ferment with a pinch of washing soda, salt and a bit of water. It's cooking away and I'll let it go for a couple of weeks I think. I also mixed up a batch of medicated snuff from some very old CBW, Cherry Cavendish, salt, oil of bergamot, eucalyptus oil and almond oil. Holy interesting something there and boy does the scent linger! I mean I'm over a half hour out from a test pinch and I'm not detecting any loss of aroma yet.

I do believe I'm a lost cause brothers.
Jim

Very interesting Jim. I had never thought of making my own snuff.

John, I was amazed at how simple it can be. It can also take aturn towards an engineering degree if you choose, lol. The whole fermentation thing hasn't anything to do with fermentation at all. It's about adjusting the ph to freebase the nicotine levels. If you have any questions I'd be happy to share the stuff I've learned. Admittedly it's not much but wow what a world it opens up.

Jim

Toasted a spoonful of the ODF snuff. Wow! It's so barnyard it's amazing. Nice nic content and what smokey tobacco goodness. I can definitely see doing a large batch of this for real everyday use.

Put the finishing touches on about 50 ml of medicated snuff. It's got oil of bergamot, eucalyptus oil and a healthy dose of menthol crystals in it. When you snuff this one your lips get cold and numb lol.

Jim

I think desperate measures might be closer to the truth. What with the hole in my mouth open again I can't get enough draw to get a pipe lit much less smoke it right now. Hopefully the snuff will hold me over till I can smoke again. I gotta admit though making snuff is kinda fun.
Jim

I was greatly honored when HPuff asked me to be a test pilot for his recent Snuff items. Thanks HPuff!

I tried ODF tonight after receiving a batch of six items in today's mail.

Basically...this is extremely good stuff....er, Snuff! A very small pinch yielded a lovely slightly smokey barnyard-ish effect. Yes, easy to tell the parent is ODF. It reminds me of some of the Gawith snuffs. But it is obvious that it is a varient of ODF. Long lasting aroma. Very impressive. For a first effort this is truly amazing. It stands on a par or above any commercial Snuff with which I'm familiar.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

So there.

Ok I think I'm blushing. I am very glad you enjoyed it though. My relative lack of experience with snuff leaves me unsure of the items I've turned out. I think they are rather nice but unbiased opinions are what I was looking for. I can't wait to hear what you think of the others.

Jim

OMG! G&H TWIST!!!

Those of you that know me and my taste in blends know that I love Gawith twists, ropes, etc. that are based on the strong brown stuff. Well I just had an example of near absolute tobacco nirvana...HPuff's mind blowing Snuff... G&H Twist. This, for me, was even better than the ODF. Surprised that it is so mellow in character. The aroma is a big fat slice of tobacco heaven.

What I like most is that this (and the ODF) are totally straight tobacco-esque in profile. No flowers, no spices, no olde timey homage to some soapy sappy stuff. It's TOBACCO. An homage to its parent blend! Brilliant!

I need more of THIS stuff...LOTS more. How !much is it? Where can I get it? PLEASE!

It hits me in all my little "I love tobacco" places. Easy to sniff (off the back of my hand). Lovely "vial aroma". For me, an ideal grind and moisture level. I'm really clumsy re Snuff style, etc. and this (and the ODF) is very easy to work with. And while I honestly think this is one of the most appealing snuffs I've ever encountered (and I've likely tried over a hundred) I'm starting to think outside my usual box. What would Gawith Sweet Maple Twist be like. Or Sweet Rum. Or Brown Bogie. Or HEY...maybe there actually IS a bona fide use for Sweet Cherry Twist. This is just very, very exciting.

Hold on, I need another hit. See ya later.

Jim...wow...really!

You know, I've been thinking about taking some pipe blends through a grinder a few times and turning them into snuff.

I'll bet those GH flavored ropes would be awfully nice. BH, if you take them for a test drive, let me know how they go.

Go for it Ian, you might just find a winner. I know I've found a couple that I don't ever want to be without

LMAO BH!

Jim

Don't forget if you want to boost the nic content you'll need washing soda or sodium carbonate to "ferment" the tobacco. Also remember to add a small quantity of uniodized salt to improve the flavor.

Jim

PS sodium carbonate is easily made from sodium bicarbonate by putting a layer on a cookie sheet and baking at 400f for about an hour to give full conversion.

Yeah. Found a simple process for turning baking soda into the carbonate ... Oven set to 200 F for one hour. So you do 400 F, eh?

I guess it's just that simple. I also ordered a small mount of menthol crystals.

On the link I posted, from Juxtaposed:

Here is a basic recipe that can be used for making snuff.

ground and sieved tobacco flour                     1/4 cup
distilled water                                                  2 teaspoons                      
sodium carbonate (washing soda)                  1/8 teaspoon
table salt                                                          1/2 teaspoon    

Do you seive or screen your flour? What do you use?

I just run it through an old wire mesh tea strainer. So a spoonful at a time lol. I'm sure you probably have a larger version or can get one readily I'm just too lazy to look. But an old window screen would work too. Also the WalMart here actually carries washing soda so I haven't had to convert bicarbonate since the first trial or two.  Yeah 2 oz of menthol crystals will last me a really really long time.

Oh I also screen it after its ground and then again after the fermentation, while its still a bit damp. Which is why the ODF looks like gun powder granuals. The Briggs got the same treatment but then got run through the grinder again when I mixed in the unfermented stuff.