So, I have the money to set up a small pipe making bench

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hater

Reaction score
What are the must haves? I have a vice and a drill and arbors for the 4 buffing wheels I have. I also have a dremel and some rasps, and a shitload of sandpaper. what other items would you advise a budding pipe maker to have?

I wrench on my harleys and if there is one thing I know is that the right tool makes a WORLD of difference, so what are those tools that I need?

One last question, say I wanted to do sandblasted briars as well as smooth, what are the specific tools I need for that. That Yuriy guy is a master at that . I wish I was a fly on the wall of that shop.

i'd say just try sending kurt another e-mail. it probably just got lost in the mix.

I'd just email Kurt again too.... they let ME in, they'll let you in!

I think the key thing to consider, the key element that you have to solve in order to make pipes, is how are you going to get the stem to fit the stummel. Solve that, solve your tooling and your method for that, and moving in a direction of simple pipe making is easy.

You have two basic choices - cutting tenons to size, or buying tenon material at a specific size and gluing it into the stem. Both are fine, both have advantages and disadvantages. But one requires a lathe and the other doesn't.

I was going to say they let me in over there at the pipemakers forum pretty quick, so reapplying might be your best bet, probably slipped through the cracks.

Here's something I picked up for my bench you might find handy for knocking away a lot of briar chaff in your shaping process. It's a Rotary Rasp, and can be mounted on a drill press or a lathe. Additionally they aren't that expensive, and will save you a ton of rough shaping sanding as well. About $5.00 a piece. I bought 6 of them to have spares, on hand.

http://www.amazon.com/Eazypower-Corp-Rotary-Drum-30089/dp/B000BQO7ZW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335686795&sr=8-1

They also have a Rotary Shaper that takes more of a bite out of the wood. You might think about this as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Microplane-2-Diameter-Rotary-Shaper/dp/B000CCYYVM/ref=pd_cp_hi_0