So Let's Say Your State Bans Tobacco Shipment...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To Greg/The Fuller Brush Man: Answer to your question....

They don't. Not at that tax rate, period!

I've noticed several sites that will no longer ship pipe 'baccy to WA state. One of them - Lil' Brown - in our own state is one of these, despite them being on an Indian Rez. And they will ship cigars!

Also tried to order from "justforhim.com" and they wouldn't ship here either! WTF!!

:suspect:

Smoke Nazies are everywhere.

Natch":2c1czzc3 said:
I've got more cellared than I can smoke in my remaining years. So, either I've got a lot tucked away or I'm really old?!? It's a bit of both.

But as tastes change, I'll always want more/new blends. Then I'll trade if I have to.

Natch
I'm also in a similar position. I cellared up because I was convinced that either this would occur, or Federal Taxes on pipe tobacco would become so high as to drive many blends off the market. I still think that will happen.

I think I would try to make some fun out of it by saving money for an annual "tobacco run" to one of the bigger shops or pipe/tobacco shows in a good location.

Greg-TheFullerBrushMan":8c9973nq said:
And to this point, I noticed on pipesandcigars that any orders from within NY would have upwards of a 75% tax added onto the order. How on earth do they get any walk-in retail business?

-Greg
I am traveling near their store tomorrow and I always want to make the stop but rarely do. I've bought a few pipes there at the regular NYS Tax rate, but buying a tin of tobacco or a house blend is crazy. It's too bad --- I really like a few of the house blends. HPCS Trout Stream and their Sunjammer (965-ish clone).

Right now I am pretty sure that UPS won't knowingly ship tobacco person to person.

Speaking of shipping hassles, I went to USPS to ship some wine to a friend as a gift and when I told them what was in the package the clerk looked at me like I just escaped the looney bin. Apparently shipping wine via USPS can lead to a felony. Yeah, that's not cool.

I don't know, freedoms aren't what they used to be. :(

Nightmare !!!

By the way, if you need to set up an out-of-state mailing address, do not use a USPS P. O. Box (for the reason stated: UPS and FEDEX will not ship to a P. O. Box).....But, you can go to a UPS Store, or one of the many Mail Centers, and they have boxes available that will provide an actual address, so that you can have UPS and FEDEX delivered.

The downside to an out-of-state mailing address is that your billing address is still in your home state... If it was from NY, a brother would need to purchase the tobacco, have it shipped to them, then - ahem - gift it to their friend in NY somehow.

What a pain.

This thread has provoked thoughts to be self-evident:

* Constitutionally, we're entitled to happiness, dammit. :lol: So say we all!

* This shipping ban on tobacco is a revenue generator, not a preventative measure.

* Romantic notions of my brothers here hootin' and hollerin', racing through the dark making tobacco deliveries illicitly.

* Our brotherhood may just be the way to go, as we work out a way to help each other out--under the radar.

Things I'd like to point out:

* Nevada is a wonderful place to do business, and is a great place to live (with the exception of Las Vegas and Clark County, which aren't Nevada, they're a suburb of L.A.--little known fact), and also will not adopt such rules, if at all, for a very long, long time.

* Wondering these two things:

A) How easy is it to get a license to distribute/sell tobacco legitimately for us individuals? Reason being, tobacco stores obviously need to ship and receive, or else the local stores would be effected, too. Moving tobacco around suddenly becoming illegal is the way to make it all illegal, rather than directly making the tobacco illegal. Similar tactic to making ammunition illegal but letting you have every gun you want. Unfortunately there's no 2nd Amendment for tobacco.

B) If such a license is acquirable, and easily, B&M tobacco stores might just pop up all over the place out of necessity...never a bad thing. Could/would any of us do that?

C) Tobacco shows just might become the next big way to get things done on all angles--more of them would happen more often, as they don't have to be huge--there's your outlet, just bring in the folks for private enterprise. 8)

WingRider":e47bs8da said:
or Federal Taxes on pipe tobacco would become so high as to drive many blends off the market. I still think that will happen.
This is my biggest fear, high taxes causing businesses to shut down. My cigar and pipe smoking is a choice I make as an adult. This used to be the land of the free...

Sorry to say; if my State Bans Tobacco Shipments... if an astronomical fed tax is levied against pipe tobacco … currently here in fun city a fine for smoking in certain outdoor areas … for me the pleasure of my 2 bowls a day will have faded and will be a thing of the past.
:(

Guy":zp203axh said:
Sorry to say; if my State Bans Tobacco Shipments... if an astronomical fed tax is levied against pipe tobacco … currently here in fun city a fine for smoking in certain outdoor areas … for me the pleasure of my 2 bowls a day will have faded and will be a thing of the past.
:(
I agree, it is just a shame that we as a society allow these things to happen.