So much baccy, so few pipes!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipey McPiperson

Reaction score
So, I have this dilemma. I've only recently started to get into smoking a pipe, and am thus far enjoying it greatly. The issue I am currently facing after a few cocktails, too much time looking at the review forum, and some time spent on pipesandcigars.com is that I have about 8 different types of baccy, and only one pipe. After reading some posts I have become a little concerned about ghosting, and am not clear on which of my newly acquired tobaccos I can mix and match in my pipe, and still be able to enjoy the real flavors of a blend sans ghosting. Was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction as far as which I could smoke in the pipe, and which i should just wait till my next pipe purchase.

They are :
McClelland Blackwoods Flake, Anniversary 2005, Three Oaks Original
G.L. Pease Haddo's Delight, Union Square – Fog City Selection
P. Heinrichs Dark Strong
Orlick's Golden Slice

Thanks in advance,
Drew :afro:

I tend to jump around. I have a core group of pipes that I would smoke any of those listed in, simply because they are my better smoking pipes. That doesn't bother me. I have one pipe actually dedicated to the scented Gawith blends. Even so, I will smoke the "unscented" version in my core group from time to time.

I will smoke very mild blends in rather large bowls. Very potent blends in smaller bowls. That sort of groups some blends to some pipes.

I know that others dedicate pipes to certain blends and have dozens of such arrangements in their herd. They have better willpower than I apparently.

Another option you might consider is getting yourself a few corn cob pipes. They are cheap and smoke well enough.

You have a good selection of baccy there. I agree with Jhuggett on the cobs as the most cost effective way to go. This will also give you a chance to rest your briar pipe between smokes and give the cobs a good workout.

I agree on the cobs. I would try to keep the Virginia/Perique heavys, Virginia/Latakia heavys, and Virginia/Cavendish heavys in dedicated bowls. If pipe prices are a concern, it wouldn't hurt to get a Dr Grabow as well as a few cobs.

TY for the advice guys. I plan on having a small army, but this hobby is just in its infancy for me, so for the moment I just got that one.(Do have a Meer cob, and some old pipe I bought for a costume once from a b&m Torino I belive.) Plan on getting one every month or so, prolly in the $80-150 range till I achieve a nice selection of shapes and styles, before one day /drool a true high-end. :twisted:

Pipey McPiperson":jir2wzka said:
Plan on getting one every month or so, prolly in the $80-150 range till I achieve a nice selection of shapes and styles, before one day /drool a true high-end. :twisted:
I'm partial to Savinelli's for the $60-$100 price range. Quality and finish is very good, and all my Savs are good smokers.