So this is why Virginias can cause such a kerfuffle

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lesepfeife

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago my middle daughter was cleaning out her brother-in-law's (known here as Crusader Pipes) old storage trailer and came across a few small zip-lock bags of tobacco samples. After supper that evening we went out to enjoy the evening air and each selected one to try. Tim thinks these have to be at least 10 years old. Being a "flakey" kind of guy I went for the one that looked like a VaPer flake, labeled Limerick. Wow, never in my brief experience have I enjoyed a smoke so much. The taste was wonderful and the room note sublime. I was thrilled when Tim gifted me the remainder of the bag. Not to mess with a good combination I used the same pipe (Mauro Armellini churchwarden) tonight when I lit up for the second go-round. No disappointment here.

A search on Tobacco Reviews revealed the content (VA's with 5% perique) and that it is still available, at least by the same name. I'm guessing that there's a good chance I'll be disappointed with a newly purchased lot but probably will give it a try on one of my future orders. One of the amazing things to me was at how effective the little baggies had been in preserving and aging the leaf. It seemed to be at a perfect moisture content, as were the others in the lot. Must be something to this aging thing. ;)

Carlos":hddwktc3 said:
Treasures of Ireland, Limerick. Good stuff! :sunny:
I have only done a quick search on a couple of suppliers' sites. Both had it in bulk, I think it was a pre-packaged pound for in the ballpark of $70. It's also listed in tins but both were oos for that quantity.

SmokingPipes has 16oz packages for $38. I just ordered one for the heck of it. Reviews make it sound similar to PS Luxury Navy Flake, which is one of my favorites.

Dave_In_Philly":t4r7jm7k said:
SmokingPipes has 16oz packages for $38. I just ordered one for the heck of it. Reviews make it sound similar to PS Luxury Navy Flake, which is one of my favorites.

I've got a few tins in the cellar.

It's been a few years since I've smoked Limerick but I don't remember it being similar to luxury Navy flake... It has a topping that makes me think of the Lakelands. Not the same, but Dan tobaccos take on that style. It is fairly subtle if memory serves...

A good smoke, all and all. Maybe I'll dig through my stash and pull a tin out to enjoy.

s.ireland":kqo2pj0q said:
Dave_In_Philly":kqo2pj0q said:

It's been a few years since I've smoked Limerick but I don't remember it being similar to luxury Navy flake... It has a topping that makes me think of the Lakelands. Not the same, but Dan tobaccos take on that style. It is fairly subtle if memory serves...

A good smoke, all and all. Maybe I'll dig through my stash and pull a tin out to enjoy.
Now, I'm even more anxious to try it.

Dave_In_Philly":r1ua5je8 said:
s.ireland":r1ua5je8 said:
Dave_In_Philly":r1ua5je8 said:

Now, I'm even more anxious to try it.
Dave, you definitely have a broad range of taste and I know you dig the Lakelands so I'm certain that you'll enjoy the Limerick. You might love it!

Dave_In_Philly":drjbw82c said:
Thanks for the tip on the source. PSNF is coincidentally what I selected for this evening's smoke. It's pretty high on my list but can't compete with the 10 year old Limerick. I didn't detect any Lakeland or soapiness in the Limerick but that my be due to my lack of discernment or a result of the aging. I guess if I think about it I do detect just a hint of it from the NF but I would agree that it's pretty subtle. I look forward to your comparison of the 2.

Was soon as this arrives, I intend to carve off two or three ounces and stuff them into a little jar labeled "Do not smoke until 2022, under penalty of death" and hide it in the back of my closet. :D

Finally placed my order for a bag of Limerick. I think it was the evening when P&C had Penzance, I did find somebody that had tins but in the end decided that the bulk would be the better option and besides when I went to order this week I think the tins were all gone.

I smoked the last of my aged sample a week or 2 ago. I tried it in a different pipe this time and it seemed not to be as good as in the big churchwarden. I'm curious, Dave have you had a chance to give the fresh leaf a try?

Lesepfeife":nhrlpjy1 said:
Finally placed my order for a bag of Limerick. I think it was the evening when P&C had Penzance, I did find somebody that had tins but in the end decided that the bulk would be the better option and besides when I went to order this week I think the tins were all gone.

I smoked the last of my aged sample a week or 2 ago. I tried it in a different pipe this time and it seemed not to be as good as in the big churchwarden. I'm curious, Dave have you had a chance to give the fresh leaf a try?
Yeah, its definitely solid. Nothing to mind blowing just yet. We'll see what a little time does for it.

I got my bag of Limerick this week. I opened it up last night to put it up in some jars. When I stuck my nose in the bag to partake of the tin note I was hit with the most unique sensation I've ever smelled coming from tobacco. It was at the same time off-putting and pleasant. I seem to recall some tobacco(s) being described as citrusy but I can't recall if Limerick was among them. There does seem to be some note of orange in the aroma but I can't put my finger on everything that's going on. I haven't yet put any in a bowl and put fire to it but I now have 4 large jars in my cellar and a small one for use. I was surprised at how long the flakes are, (+/- 8"?). It does seem to be a little moist for immediate use but I'm used to setting out my baccy a while before loading so I'm ready for it when the time comes.

I have a pound of it from earlier this year, aging in jars. I won't touch them for some time.

gravel":2f4t66qd said:
I have a pound of it from earlier this year, aging in jars. I won't touch them for some time.
Of course the Limerick that spawned this thread was 10 years old, maybe more so I know the effects of aging on this leaf, and the sample I had was only stored in the zip-lock bag in which it came. I am curious how different a fresh sample will be and thus the smaller jar for the rotation shelf. With the numerous other samples I have on the shelf I can wait a bit even for that. I liked the idea of multiple jars too so that they can be successively opened in the years to come without disturbing the whole batch.

Lesepfeife":19237vd7 said:
I got my bag of Limerick this week. I opened it up last night to put it up in some jars. When I stuck my nose in the bag to partake of the tin note I was hit with the most unique sensation I've ever smelled coming from tobacco. It was at the same time off-putting and pleasant.
My daughter solved this mystery. I opened the jar for Tim (Crusader Pipes) tonight to see what his reaction was and he too was mystified. Then his wife smelled it, closed her eyes and blanked her thoughts to see what reaction it would give her...fig newtons.

Tonight I decided to have a try at some of this fresh. The tin note in the little spice container in which I transported it was much more mellow than in the jar. I rubbed some out and let it dry for about 1.5 hrs before loading it in my MA churchwarden, which is the pipe in which I've had the best results with the aged sample. The char light was almost like puffing on sugar. I think it could have dried longer but was still a satisfying smoke. It certainly doesn't approach the sublime experience of the stuff with 10 years on it but then I didn't expect it would. I think I'll finish the little jar and then move on to some of the other tobaccos I have lounging in the cellar before coming back to it in a year or so. Maybe I should even take some out of one of the large jars and put it in a small one so as to have a sample to try and not have to break open a big jar to see how it's progressing.