So what age exactly is a Senior Citizen?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must say though, an organized SHAG for seniors doesn't sound like a bad idea, Rande. That's not to say that the timing in one's life would be set at a certain age, just that it's not necessarily a thing to dodge indefinitely. From what I can tell about you, there's plenty of time to worry about other adventures ahead of you before signing on the dotted line for a good SHAG....

Brewdude — I know what you mean. My wife and I still live in our single family suburban home on a one-acre lot. Doctors dentists, town hall and restaurants are all right down the hill. Our neighbors are mostly okay. The closest restaurant, one mile away, has changed formats several times, but includes on its computer an offering of Kevin’s Lemon Pepper Cod, because years ago I complained they were too heavily slanted toward pasta dishes for an old dude counting carbs. So they kindly kept the meal on the computer for me at a very good price, even though it doesn’t show up on the menu. I’m sure I wouldn’t get that consideration elsewhere. Drive another half mile and there’s a restaurant where the owner often joins our table and generously comps desserts. I asked my brother, who lives in a retirement community, If pretty girls out walking their dogs ever wave to him and say hello. “No,” he replied. Plus three or four holes of golf on an “executive course” (I.e short and easy) once a month is plenty for me.

Blackhorse":76myww60 said:
Don’t worry BD...you’re a Senior.  :lol:
Ya, you're probably right.

A few weeks ago I was in the local Ace Hardware and couldn't find what I was looking for, so tried to find an employee to ask.

Eventually I found some youngster who looked to be about 16 yrs old (about the age of a grandchild, if I had one) with an Ace shirt on, and without even thinking I blurted out "Say there young fella, can you tell me where to find such-and-such"?

Never in my life have I ever hailed anyone like that, but it rolled of my tongue like water off a duck's back........

Guess that prolly seals my fate, or at least the beginning of the slippery slope to geezerdom!  :roll:

Oh, and the youngster was helpful in an "I'm too busy to be bothered" sort of way. Guess he thought he was being kind to some old git. Oh, and he never smiled either, yet I found the item all the same............

:bom:

Cheers,

RR

Ozark Wizard":v9ecf0a6 said:
I must say though, an organized SHAG for seniors doesn't sound like a bad idea, Rande. That's not to say that the timing in one's life would be set at a certain age, just that it's not necessarily a thing to dodge indefinitely. From what I can tell about you, there's plenty of time to worry about other adventures ahead of you before signing on the dotted line for a good SHAG....
Yes, of course. For those which are at that point of life that this concept appeals for whatever reasons I say go for it. It's just not for me now, or attractive going forward. I'm an independent SOB, ya know?

Even if I was interested in this concept (and I'm patently not), it doesn't seem to exist in AZ where I'll be heading. Or at least in that abbreviation, as it seems to be a WA state thing.

Now, OTOH - what does appeal to me is an age restricted community. Say 60 yrs minimum, gated community, composed of smallish single family units. No central planning of events or activities. Just relatively the same age group who retain enough of their independence to command control over their lives in a way that looks different from the SHAG concept. That, I could get comfortable with.

One thing I want to conspicuously avoid is the dreaded HOA with restrictive rules and regs. So that right there effectively rules out Condos, who would most certainly ban all smoking on premise. Plus, very probably loud music (I still like to crank up the stereo and rock out on guitar when the mood strikes).

Of course, a gated community with age restrictions could also have a HOA with restrictive covenants. Those I'll have to evaluate on a case-by-case basis and determine if they're compatible.

In any event, my relocation choice will be carefully considered based on all my needs. Not just the ones I listed.

TMI......

:silent:

Cheers,

RR

You know, Codgersville is the capitol of Geezerdom. They have a couple of nice brewpubs in the Old Quarter....

Ozark Wizard":v05x32pr said:
You know, Codgersville is the capitol of Geezerdom. They have a couple of nice brewpubs in the Old Quarter....
Good brewpubs will certainly be an added bonus, provided they are available by foot or public transport. No way am I drinking and driving anymore. Did plenty of that in my misspent youth and lived to tell about it. No, I'm not proud of it.

It seems likely that I'll get back into homebrewing, but will have to start from scratch, as I sold off all my gear many years ago.

However, it seems I'm hijacking my own thread, as it's devolving into my retirement issues. Let's correct that and get back into the issue of when one is considered a Senior Citizen.

As far as what I truly feel is the right age for this distinction - frankly it's too hard to put down to a particular number. I always thought of my grandparents as elderly when I was a kid, and by extension Senior Citizens (although I never classified them as Senior Citizens, only that they were elderly and very probably in their 80's when I was a young'un. Guess it equates to the same thing).

So perhaps my sentiments are that the classification of Senior Citizens should begin somewhere around 80? And of course this should be a moving target and not a fixed number. After all, there are plenty of vibrant and active older folks in their 70's and 80's (and indeed beyond)  who defy the stigma of "Seniors". I wish to be one of that group going forward, into my 80's.

My own Pap lived to 88, and his several brothers around that. So I have those genetics going for me, provided I take care of myself properly.

Am I a Senior Citizen now at 65? Perhaps, in the view of those in their 20's or younger. But I clearly don't feel like it. Just a guy who has been around the block a couple times!

;)

Cheers,

RR

Well, I recently got Medicare, so I guess I qualify.  :|
Some days I feel old, some days I don't.
I feel that I've earned "Senior Citizen" status by managing to live this long.  :twisted:

One is only as old as they feel. With that in mind I've been a senior citizen for almost twenty years. :roll:

AJ

AJ":exphooih said:
One is only as old as they feel. With that in mind I've been a senior citizen for almost twenty years. :roll:

AJ
I second that comment. This morning my wife and I went out with our chain saws and
cut up some felled trees for firewood. After a good day of lumberjacking, we both had to relax with a nap! Now, I'm feeling it, every bone in my body aches! I guess, tonight I am a senior citizen!!!

There's a lot of people who worked physically hard their whole life, and 60 years old should be Senior Citizens age. Death rapidly approaches after that.

Beats me. When I hear that someone is 65, I think that is old until realize that it is just five years away.  

All relative.  It's not the years; it's the miles.

And if it will get me a discount, I'm a senior! (And a cheap one...)

I voted for 75 only because it was the highest on the list, if there'd 90 I would have voted for that.
I believe your as old as you feel or want to be.
Looking over my shoulder at the time that has passed me by I cringe and wish I had the sense then
to make better of it. Not feeling as old as I think I look or what my age in years dictates I should look like, I feel within much younger. Although my groans and pains say otherwise I choose to ignore them.
Wished the younger women I've chased or dream of chasing (which is nearer the truth most the time) thought the same. ;)
Though I'll never complain about getting a discount no matter how old or young I get in age.

Now at 65 and feeling good, I voted for 62 as senior citizen age. If you can, 62 is a good age to retire. I retired at 62 to gardening, day trips, a winter vacation in the south. Blessed to live in the USA in these days and times.

DrT999":orfvxs80 said:
Under fifty, anyone more than 20 years older than you! ;)
I've been offered the seniors discount a few times in the last year - somewhat understandable, I suppose, as I've been dealing with medical problems so I tend to walk carefully, and my beard has gone almost completely white.

Both times, the cashier was under 20 so I'm sure I looked positively ANCIENT at 46 :affraid: :D :D

So far, the poll results weigh in that 45% of the respondents consider 65 to be the age where one is considered a "Senior Citizen". After that it drops to 18% for 62. And the rest below that.

So..... while this is far from being any kind of comprehensive survey or even "officially" indicative of that designation I find it interesting, including and especially the posts.

I appreciate all your responses, and by all means keep them coming.

:)

Cheers,

RR