so.. What made you wanna smoke a pipe?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was but a young buck I somehow got in my head that a man 1) drank Scotch whisky, and 2) smoked a pipe. I'm happy to say that I achieved both goals.

When I was a Kid my dad smoke American spirits and the only place he could get them was the tobacconist a few towns over. I remember hanging on the 5 foot wooden Indian out front while he ran in. I never smoked before pipes but always remembered the smells from the shop. About 4 years ago I was going fishing and stopped in the convenience store to get some snacks to go fishing. Saw some mini cobs and otc pipe bac. I figured what the hell and off the hobby went. Indian is still out front and the tobacco shop is still open and I have spent way too much in their store. :D

For one thing, in the 1950s, guys smoking pipes were just part of the human landscape. In the house, outside, wherever. Normal. "Imprinting" may or may not have been a factor, but that's my "normal." This creates a tongue-biting situation when some of you guys are going on about how you have to smoke outside, because she-who-must-be-obeyed says so.

That's just so wrong on so many levels. But whatever works for you, I guess. You're the one putting up with it.

The beauty, history and tradition involved are factors that make pipes easy to like. As is the comfort of the taste a great tobacco has in a pipe that's been dedicated to it for years.

But the cool connection is because my great-grandmother smoked one. Mail Pouch. In a clay. Yep -- there were little bird-sized Appalachian mountain women (like Granny in Lil' Abner) in ankle-length dresses & aprons still doing that when I was coming up. Even have a picture of her holding me when I was a baby.

In the end, though, if you like smoking a pipe, cats, classical music, pizza or whatever, you just like it. Reasoning doesn't even enter the picture until after it's a done deal. Than it becomes rationalisation. Which, IMO, is kind of lame.

:face:

I wanna know who is sniveling so much about smoking outside. I smoke inside at the Tinder Box, let them vacuum and scrape the muck off the shiny stuff. :lol: Not around my electronics no way, no how. I didn't revive them from 30+ years of garage dust with 30 hours of work to contemplate them with smoke. :lol: Meanwhile, the great outdoors is a fine place to smoke. The actus uxor invito factus non est meus actus thing is another matter entirely, but one I'm inclined to also nod to certain wrongness.

I'm always amazed at how much my grandfather influenced me. And judging from many of the earlier posts, picking up a pipe due to one's grandfather is a recurrent theme. I started smoking at 20 (now creeping up to 54) with a purchase of a couple churchwarden clays.

I was Smoking far too many roll ups.
Tried a pipe to see if i could cut down on them, And it works,
Now i love smoking my pipes, and im down to about 10 cigs per day.
Compaired to 40 +
Ally.

allyby":ydosn0pn said:
I was Smoking far too many roll ups.
Tried a pipe to see if i could cut down on them, And it works,
Now i love smoking my pipes, and im down to about 10 cigs per day.
Compaired to 40 +
Ally.
Great job!

Smoked cigs for about 10 years... quit. In a couple of years I started to feel that it woudln't last, I missed the taste, sight, and moment of smoke way too much. It was on one camping trip last summer when I asked once again my brother, who smokes pipes (a tragic victim of both PAD and TAD for some time) if I could try one of his again. He was happy to offer. Unlike before when I had tried to smoke one with no success whatsoever, this time he taught me to pack the bowl myself, and offered me a pipe zippo instead of matches to light with. And, he told me that if it was about to go out, I could place a finger or two on top of the bowl and take a sip. Worked like magic! The pipe was a Northern Briars bent bulldog. The tobacco was something with a name that was a 2-digit number only, can't remember the brand.

I remember walking down to the shore that sunny night with a pipe in my hand, taking a couple of puffs and watching the roaring rapids somewhere further away, thinking damn, this has to continue. Rest is... obvious.