Solani ABF

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldmike

Reaction score
I am amazed that after a lifetime of pipe smoking I have never tried Solani 656 Aged Burley Flake. Probably because it is SO expensive! 50 gram tins bring it to around $90 a pound!!! Can't be an all day smoke for retirees! I have seen posts about 100gram tins but can't seem to find a supplier that sells them in the USA.

On the other hand ABF is so damned satisfying that I don't tent to have to "chain smoke" bowl after bowl to get my fix.

I absolutely LOVE this tobacco. For me it has everything I could desire in a good Burley with absolutely no negatives.... except the price.

Any clues to where I can get some 100gram tins would be greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas to all...
Mike

ABF is a great smoke, full bodied and creamy! I agree that it is not an all day smoke, but more of a treat than anything else.

As for the price, one 50 gram tin would cost me $50 at my local B&M, so don't get brought down by the $90 per pound. It is still very affordable :)

I absolutely love ABF. It's the first burley I ever fell in love with and it's a fine, fine smoke.

That's said, I have never in my travels seen a 100g tin of it. Given the price of their 660 and 633, I doubt you'd get that much of a price break on ABF if you did find it in that size.

I say buy an occasional tin and savor it.

I love Solani 660 and Reiner Long Golden Flake. Both of those would also break the bank if they were my everyday smoke, so I enjoy them in carefully planned moderation..

Wow! I guess it's really cheap here in the States compared to Canada! I get a 50 gram tin for around $11. I'm trying to fill a quart size Mason jar and ration it out. Is it the tobacco tax that make it so high there?

I love Canada and have spent a lot of time there but that price is outrageous!

Merry Christmas...Mike

Get thee to PipesandCigars!!!! You'll have to back order it....but it's $9.41 each or $46.60 for 5!!!!!!! Merry Christmas :santa: FTRPLT

Thats about the average price for most 50gram tins in my area

Yeah I know! I ordered 5 tins from P and C yesterday! Turns out Niko is shipping me the last three tins. He kindly cancelled the other 2 tins and refunded the balance to Paypal because I don't do back orders. He also said it would probably be "several weeks" before they get more, Damn it!!!

Well 3 tins is better than nothing. Plus the 3 tins I ordered from Rich at 4 noggins arrived today. Slowly filling that quart size Mason jar. Yeehaw!

Merry Christmas and Happy Smoking all!
Mike

Right! And after I set that quart jar back I'm going to work on another half pint. I know smarter folks that me say Barley doesn't age if you cellar it but I have some pretty well aged stuff and to me it just gets better!

Did I mention I really love Solani ABF. :santa:

Mike

If you cellar it in smaller quantities you can keep aging some of your tobacco with out disturbing it, is all I meant

Right. I agree. That's why I also going to start a pint jar and let the quart just sit.