Solani Silver Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

31z40

Reaction score
Solani Silver Flake; I have had four bowls of this tobacco in the past few days in a Radice TB Oiled Bark Rhodesians, Bulldog, Prince and Bjarne Straight Grain Brandy. When first opening the 100 gram tin The aroma was Red Virginia in a flake about 2" wide two stacks side by side, the flakes were rather long but easily to shred apart. I did not rub the flakes out just folded and packed in the bowls. The color is a rich brown with streaks of light golden tobaccos.

The first light of the bowl was more than I first expected as the taste was a full rich Red Virginia with a spicy taste of darkened Kentucky and to my surprise this lasted throughout the bowl as it just got better towards the end of the bowl. This is not recommended on an empty stomach as it does have a full Virginia strength,

I will keep this is my rotation as a great tobacco, although this is not the same as Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky it does have a taste of its own. The Silver Flake will leave you with a great satisfaction of well rounded Red Virginia:bing:

Strength: Full

Flavoring: Medium to Full

Taste: Full

Room Note: Tolerable

Recommendation: 5 of 5

Nice review! Out of curiosity, what was the age like on your Silver Flake?

My review: "Mmmm, Silver Flake..."

When I reordered some Solani 633 several months ago, I added some Solani Silver Flake to the order. As the official description reads: 'An incredible blend of premium dark red and sweet virginias from the "border belt", light yellow Virginia from South Carolina and dark-fired, spicy Kentucky.' Since light Virginias and dark Kentuckies are among my favorite tobaccos, it's not surprising that SSF shot up to the top of the list of my favorite blends, up there with BBF and OGS. Thanks for the excellent five-star review - my own experience with SSF mirrors yours to a T.

Doc Manhattan":jbp9k2fo said:
Nice review! Out of curiosity, what was the age like on your Silver Flake?

My review: "Mmmm, Silver Flake..."
Do not quite understand your question, although, it was a smooth smoking tobacco blend, not wet not dry just a little moist.

Sorry I wasn't clear--I meant, was it aged for a substantial amount of time before smoking, or was it smoked soon after purchase?

Doc Manhattan":w6can520 said:
Sorry I wasn't clear--I meant, was it aged for a substantial amount of time before smoking, or was it smoked soon after purchase?
I opened this tin about a month after I received it in the mail. I wanted to finish another tin of tobacco up prior to opening this tin.

Quite a different taste experience for me, Solani Silver Flake seems an unbalanced bitter blend on each annual bowl. I prefer G&H Kendal Kentucky when I want Kentucky and any of several Red Virginias when I want Red Virginia.

grumpy1":xc8etarw said:
Quite a different taste experience for me, Solani Silver Flake seems an unbalanced bitter blend on each annual bowl. I prefer G&H Kendal Kentucky when I want Kentucky and any of several Red Virginias when I want Red Virginia.
Have you written a review on G&H Kendal? If so I would like to read it, if not, could you write a review. I'm a lover of Red Virginia blends

31z40, there are several G&H "Kendal" tobaccos and I've not written a review of any of them. Since you asked, I can say I like Kendal Kentucky and it is not what I'd call a Red Virginia. I'd just rather smoke Kendal Kentucky than Solani Silver Flake as the Kentucky in the Solani seems dissonant rather than synergistic, detracting or interfering with any Red Virginia flavor for me. For some reason the taste of Kendal Kentucky reminds me that I'm running low on Semois. :idea:

Even', I just don't see how anyone smoking 3-4 of a tabac can write a review on it :shock: , Ah well maybe it's just me getting old, Ken :tongue:
Pacem en Pondering! :tongue: