Solution to Stinky Pipe Cleaners!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernLights

Reaction score
Or possibly old news. Revelation for me anyhow!

Ash from a pipe doesn't stink, and I don't tend to have much dottle/wet unused tobacco. I'd imagine that would dry quickly and not stink, but I could be wrong.

WOW do those pipe cleaners REEK though. I find myself having to get up to dispose of them directly into the garbage in the garage to remove them from the vicinity.

But they are cotton. And now coated in tar. So I just lit the dirtied end on fire and it burnt up rapidly. Poof. Aroma COMPLETELY gone. I'm now happy to have them sit in the ashtray until I feel like emptying it. No more having to get up and run to the garage immediately after a smoke.

So! Good idea? Old news? Other solutions?

Cleaners don't bug me that much. Maybe my sense of smell is so deadened that I just don't notice?

You might keep a jar of some sort closeby and just drop the cleaner in there. You can put the lid back on and the smell stays inside. Beats getting up every time you use one.  :scratch:

An interesting discovery. But be warned, you may have merely exchanged the proximity of stinkiness with the proximity of a fire hazard. :no: 

Yeah, I like that idea of the jar, a tall mason with a lid should do the trick.
I hate the smell of the little buggers myself and by the end of the week I got a real reeking waste basket in my bedroom. (that's were my pipes and tobacco are along with my computer desk so I clean them in there and then put them in there rack).

MisterE said:
Cleaners don't bug me that much. Maybe my sense of smell is so deadened that I just don't notice?
quote]

I'm with Mister E on this one. I have a large Dunhill ashtray that I use and at the end of the day, when I pull the cleaners out of that days pipes I've smoked and put 'em in the ash tray with a any others I've used, I take the whole thing to the big trash in my kitchen and dump everything . Wipe and clean the tray and I'm ready for the morning. After a few years (40 for me) of smoking, you don't really notice :twisted: :twisted: 

monbla256":kf20jft3 said:
MisterE":kf20jft3 said:
quote]

I'm with Mister E on this one. I have a large Dunhill ashtray that I use and at the end of the day, when I pull the cleaners out of that days pipes I've smoked and put 'em in the ash tray with a any others I've used, I take the whole thing to the big trash in my kitchen and dump everything . Wipe and clean the tray and I'm ready for the morning. After a few years (40 for me) of smoking, you don't really notice  :twisted: :twisted: 
I too have been smoking for about 45 years and I have never liked the smell in the truck or the house. Granted it strange that being a smoker and I can't stand the smell. But, My ears and nose have always been sensitive. It's not fun most of the time because I can smell things most people can't and they should be happy they can't.

I'm there with you Cartaphilus. In a previous life I was a professional winemaker for commercial wineries. Not only is my sense of smell sensitive, I also cultivated the ability to identify aromas so well it became a reflex.

Scent is the sense most closely linked to memory. Most people often smell something and think "Geez, what is that? I KNOW I know that smell. It's on the tip of my tongue!" But at first it is hard to name it. With practice it becomes automatic.

What you said about "...they should be glad they can't." ?

So I'm on a tour of a police station, and they release a guy from the cells from overnight. He walks barefoot down the hall, filling it with one of the three worst, most gag inducing smells I've ever encountered. The smell was enough. But the fact that I automatically, to my terror and deep regret, knew that the smell months of accumulated skin oil and dander actually decomposing ON his body, nearly had me leaning for the garbage pail beside me.

It's a gift at times. A curse at others!

NorthernLights":yc7676v8 said:
I'm there with you Cartaphilus. In a previous life I was a professional winemaker for commercial wineries. Not only is my sense of smell sensitive, I also cultivated the ability to identify aromas so well it became a reflex.

Scent is the sense most closely linked to memory. Most people often smell something and think "Geez, what is that? I KNOW I know that smell. It's on the tip of my tongue!" But at first it is hard to name it. With practice it becomes automatic.

What you said about "...they should be glad they can't." ?

So I'm on a tour of a police station, and they release a guy from the cells from overnight. He walks barefoot down the hall, filling it with one of the three worst, most gag inducing smells I've ever encountered. The smell was enough. But the fact that I automatically, to my terror and deep regret, knew that the smell months of accumulated skin oil and dander actually decomposing ON his body, nearly had me leaning for the garbage pail beside me.

It's a gift at times. A curse at others!
I'm right there with ya NL! And the memory, I can't count the times I've smelled something so faint but, just enough to trigger some wonderful childhood memories. Sometimes it's just the scent of wet hay in the pasture, or the smell of a foggy morn. But, then there's the other as you know.:pale: 

One summer evening I was sitting out on my deck smoking a pipe and wondering whose black kitty that was waddling across the yard toward me. Then reality dawned. That was a SKUNK! who apparently was living under my deck. So I began dropping my used pipe cleaners between the boards of the deck. Then I extended the idea by folding used cleaners and stuffing them in the areas mice use to get in from the cold -- under siding at the corners and around little openings by the doors and in the garage. I figure it will work until the missus catches me and makes up a rule against it. She prefers conventional warfare on critters. I just want to discourage them and maintain coexistence at a distance.

LOL! Yeah, I can relate to that sir. We have a family of skunks around here also but, we keep everything plug and boarded up, not only because of them but, racoons and the like. It's great to be out here but, ya gotta keep things in shape and enclosed or you'll wined up with all sort of critter family's homesteading your buildings.
Had a family of Gecko's coming up through the hole were the gas pipe came up through the kitchen floor till I foamed it. Not necessarily pests in my eye but, the ole woman did like them scurrying around. LOL!

Pipe cleaners, when dirty, are horrid little things. I can tell it's time to take out the "project room" trash can when I can walk in and smell them. I have a keen, overly so, sense of smell. So sensitive, that eyes water when walking past the fu-fu girlie section of department stores (I avoid them), candle shops are a no-go so I can avoid a headache, and air fresheners/fake smell-good products are avoided at all costs.

Fortunately, pipe smoking has mellowed out my sensitive nose without killing the olfactory completely, which is great. I can still chef it up and taste with no issues, tobacco gives up nuances perfectly...but when I walk past some zealous gardener's yard with 1,000 wildflowers I'm not pinching my nostrils.

I guess burning the cleaners would work, but...burning cotton isn't exactly a good tradeoff for scent, either. :lol:

Whatever works for ya.

8)

Take a washed, mayo jar or such and drill a 1/4" hole in the lid. Drop the cleaners through the hole. Should hold a months worth of cleaners unless your Monbla -- then maybe a week. :)