Some folks can spoil it for all !

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simple Man":qi48faob said:
Ten years ago I would have responded MUCH differently, this morning as I read this thread, my thoughts are, "Y'all done right by just walking away." You gotta choose your fights wisely and this was not worth it. Bad things happen in fights, (ambulances, cops, hospitals, jail time, involuntary manslaughter), I've seen them all in my career in LE. It takes a bigger man sometimes to just walk away. It's one of the hardest things to do and just grates against us. I TOTALLY understand the John Wayne attitude, it just works out better in the movies than it does in real life.
So true. I have to force myself to walk away. Because I know I will do anything I can to win. Anything...

And I will still be pissed off months later. Okay...not months...years...

Slide":mkrqzrcy said:
Simple Man":mkrqzrcy said:
Ten years ago I would have responded MUCH differently, this morning as I read this thread, my thoughts are, "Y'all done right by just walking away." You gotta choose your fights wisely and this was not worth it. Bad things happen in fights, (ambulances, cops, hospitals, jail time, involuntary manslaughter), I've seen them all in my career in LE. It takes a bigger man sometimes to just walk away. It's one of the hardest things to do and just grates against us. I TOTALLY understand the John Wayne attitude, it just works out better in the movies than it does in real life.
So true. I have to force myself to walk away. Because I know I will do anything I can to win. Anything...

And I will still be pissed off months later. Okay...not months...years...
Yep, rage is a dangerous game.

sorry to hear about that. it's never fun to be harassed by idiots, but i fail to see how being cigar smokers could contribute to jerks being jerks. and i fail to see how being a jerk might lead someone to smoke cigars. i dig that some people suck and have no manners, but as pipe smokers, when we attribute an individual's or group of individuals' poor character to being "cigar culture" or some such thing, we are doing the same as someone harassing pipe smokers calling them "effeminate brainiacs" or whatever silly crap people say. it's all just narcissism of minor differences, or bad logic at best.

And yet I think that those 'types' make up a very small but perhaps visible percentage of the cigar smoking population. You can't control what you look like, only how you act. That being said, the latin origin of many of the cigar makers, the components, the workers, etc., etc., etc. do lend a certain macho 'look' to the market. And you really don't have to have any kind of knowledge or skill to smoke a cigar. Compare that to the 'pipe world' with all the makers in the UK, Scandanavia, Italy, the US, etc. and the blenders from the same georgraphic areas. The little old pipe maker, shuffling around his shop, benign smile on his face, warm, friendly, full of knowledge and the skills honed through a lifetime of artisanship...same for the blenders. Kind of like Gepetto.

I find it interesting that a craftsman with talent can become a known pipesmith, whereas cigars require an industry behind them to get out there. Blending is a little different, but many blenders have started off small and hooked up with larger houses for production and distribution. It all has such a different feel...and is so much more aligned to my ethic. That, and the fact that pipes, etc, are SO superior in every way. Just sayin'. 8)

sam a":tzwbjsou said:
sorry to hear about that. it's never fun to be harassed by idiots, but i fail to see how being cigar smokers could contribute to jerks being jerks. and i fail to see how being a jerk might lead someone to smoke cigars. i dig that some people suck and have no manners, but as pipe smokers, when we attribute an individual's or group of individuals' poor character to being "cigar culture" or some such thing, we are doing the same as someone harassing pipe smokers calling them "effeminate brainiacs" or whatever silly crap people say. it's all just narcissism of minor differences, or bad logic at best.
I did not infer that I was calling out a certain group of smokers for their behavior, I merely stated what happened and who the individuals were and what they were doing. I too have been a cigar smoker and still do enjoy a good one at times so all I can say is one can infer what they want ( as most of us do in truth) from what I related.

Sorry to hear about that Monbla. Good thing you showed some wisdom and restraint and didn't let those boys have it. Live to smoke another day.

I've tried smoking cigars, but find I can achieve the same results by just passing wind. Plus I save quite a bit of money.

Funny enough, and you all might think I'm lucky, but I have another B&M shop besides Tinder Box here in Reno. I never mention it because it doesn't cater to pipes very well, and the kind of crowd I typically have witnessed there is exactly as Monbla experienced. Plus, you have to spend a minimum of $20 on your visit to sit and enjoy the lounge (it is a beautiful building, too).

So, there's a reason why I go to Tinder Box. Learn to recognize conflict, and you can choose to either engage or avoid. Which would bring me to quite a crux in a situation like that. I'd have no problem with asking those boys if they were old enough to buy cigars, because they certainly weren't acting like it...having them nut-up to me, naturally resulting in them attempting to make me swallow my teeth (I've been hit plenty before, one more won't matter) and then suing them for all that fancy cigar money they have.

I'd also have to think I wouldn't be able to enjoy a pipe for at least a month, have to do a ton of paperwork, waste my time in court and all in the spirit of cowboying-up and showing someone the error of their ways.

Nowadays, I ask people sternly and nicely, "Please stop being rude." Much like a kindly teacher or uncle might do. It works 80% of the time, sometimes with a little explaining, and if it escalates from there, it has never gotten violent. I don't think anyone should fight over such bullsh*t, but allowing asshats to be asshats shouldn't be tolerated, either.

It's disconcerting the shop owner walks on eggshells around them because they spend money. That's a great way to have people "own" your shop and having no control over your business. Shame on him. There's ways to manage a situation like that and not lose customers.

Kyle Weiss":hlbknxuy said:
I'd have no problem with asking those boys if they were old enough to buy cigars, because they certainly weren't acting like it...having them nut-up to me, naturally resulting in them attempting to make me swallow my teeth (I've been hit plenty before, one more won't matter) and then suing them for all that fancy cigar money they have.

I'd also have to think I wouldn't be able to enjoy a pipe for at least a month, have to do a ton of paperwork, waste my time in court and all in the spirit of cowboying-up and showing someone the error of their ways.

Nowadays, I ask people sternly and nicely, "Please stop being rude." Much like a kindly teacher or uncle might do. It works 80% of the time, sometimes with a little explaining, and if it escalates from there, it has never gotten violent. I don't think anyone should fight over such bullsh*t, but allowing asshats to be asshats shouldn't be tolerated, either.
Well, that's all fine and well, but there are probably 2744 different personalities on here and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for everyone. Personally, I have never and will never take a punch without retaliating immediately, and I WOULD be the one being hauled off in handcuffs.

I never said you let them "get away with it"... there can very well be some "reckoning", but there are some very creative ways of paying back that would leave them scratching their heads and wondering why bad stuff always happens to them. :twisted:

Anyway, it is what it is and like I said, there would be a lot of different takes on this...

monbla256":rfeta59w said:
sam a":rfeta59w said:
I did not infer that I was calling out a certain group of smokers for their behavior, I merely stated what happened and who the individuals were and what they were doing. I too have been a cigar smoker and still do enjoy a good one at times so all I can say is one can infer what they want ( as most of us do in truth) from what I related.
my post wasn't a comment on the original post's intent... but a comment on the general tone that the thread as a whole took.

Nah, you misinterpret me, Jack. You're right, everyone has their way, this isn't a "the right thing to do" thread for me, because if you ask me, Monbla did exactly the right thing for him. I would have likely done the exact same thing, but perhaps talked a little sense into the B&M owner. :)

Taking a punch leaves a guy with many options, much like even before the punch happened, there were many options. I have the mindset that if some guy really wants to hit me, and hitting him back won't do much but make us both morons (or if it would be like me, a flea, punching a large dog), he is welcome to pay for his mistake. I could pocket a few lawyers to help me out. I've learned I heal pretty quickly, and I could use a few more pipes on such a generous donation. Pain never kept me in line, it was just another obstacle. :lol:

Revenge is never a test of strength. It's a test of will. Provided it is humble, I see it as "helping karma along" a little without forcing the issue too much.

We'll all deal with stuff like that the way we do. The only wrong answer might be putting a lead slug in the forehead of each of the guys systematically...no one learns from something like that. As mentioned, it looks great in the movies, though! :cheers:

8)

I've noticed how surly everyone got over this situation in the tread, too... :lol: "Pipe Smoker's Revenge." :twisted: (...don't eff with our kind...)

8)

Kyle Weiss":qo10g36a said:
Nah, you misinterpret me, Jack. You're right, everyone has their way, this isn't a "the right thing to do" thread for me, because if you ask me, Monbla did exactly the right thing for him. I would have likely done the exact same thing, but perhaps talked a little sense into the B&M owner. :)

Taking a punch leaves a guy with many options, much like even before the punch happened, there were many options. I have the mindset that if some guy really wants to hit me, and hitting him back won't do much but make us both morons (or if it would be like me, a flea, punching a large dog), he is welcome to pay for his mistake. I could pocket a few lawyers to help me out. I've learned I heal pretty quickly, and I could use a few more pipes on such a generous donation. Pain never kept me in line, it was just another obstacle. :lol:

Revenge is never a test of strength. It's a test of will. Provided it is humble, I see it as "helping karma along" a little without forcing the issue too much.

We'll all deal with stuff like that the way we do. The only wrong answer might be putting a lead slug in the forehead of each of the guys systematically...no one learns from something like that. As mentioned, it looks great in the movies, though! :cheers:

8)
Agreed.

:D

Kyle Weiss":twk4ix9t said:
The only wrong answer might be putting a lead slug in the forehead of each of the guys systematically...no one learns from something like that. As mentioned, it looks great in the movies, though! :cheers:

8)
It's a damn shame this is not an option... makes me want to get a Lee Van Cleef meer and a Josey Wales Colt Walker...

:lol!:

Simple Man":dhyyumld said:
It's a damn shame this is not an option... makes me want to get a Lee Van Cleef meer and a Josey Wales Colt Walker...

:lol!:
Speakin' my language, brother. :D I'd probably go with Richard Boone "Paladin" setup from Have Gun - Will Travel only because I'm pretty into that right now. My mash-up fictional character would have to be a Kwai Chang Caine mixed with Paladin, with a bit of LVC on the side. :lol:

8)

I don't like bullies, and with my past and training I tend to want to arch up. I don't believe violence is the right reaction, even to defend yourself, however, I doubt my ability to live out my convictions in certain situations.

It is a sad thing that people behave in this way, and I believe the shop owner is equally guilty. When money becomes more important than people there is a problem

rev

the rev":pshi0z98 said:
I don't like bullies, and with my past and training I tend to want to arch up. I don't believe violence is the right reaction, even to defend yourself, however, I doubt my ability to live out my convictions in certain situations.

It is a sad thing that people behave in this way, and I believe the shop owner is equally guilty. When money becomes more important than people there is a problem

rev
Word, Brother.

That's why the store's owner might want to reconsider his position, if at all possible. It won't be the last time jerks drive out other folks. Then again, that's why I'm studying Aikido right now after giving up six years of Tae Kwon Do. The mental game is far superior than the physical, and I ain't a kid any more. I have to pay for my mistakes if I make them. :lol: