Some of my photography

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zjgilbert

Reaction score
Some sky shots:
I'm unsure of how these came out. I can't decide if some of them look too unnatural, of if I actually like that they don't look natural. What do you all think?

img_4911.jpg

img_4912.jpg

img_4913.jpg

img_4914.jpg

img_4916.jpg

img_4917.jpg

img_4918.jpg

img_5410.jpg

Birds:

img_5110.jpg

img_5111.jpg

img_5112.jpg

Beach:
I tried to give these next two shots a kind of retro look by drowning out some of the color.

edit_c10.jpg

edit10.jpg

img_5113.jpg

img_5114.jpg

img_5115.jpg

img_5010.jpg

img_5116.jpg

img_5117.jpg

img_5118.jpg

img_5119.jpg

img_5120.jpg

img_5121.jpg

Buildings, statues, and other structures:

img_5011.jpg

img_5012.jpg

img_5013.jpg

img_5014.jpg

img_5015.jpg

img_5016.jpg

img_5411.jpg

img_5412.jpg

img_5413.jpg

Landscape:

img_4818.jpg

img_5310.jpg

img_5311.jpg

img_5312.jpg

img_5313.jpg

img_5414.jpg

img_5415.jpg

31056310.jpg

All of these photos are my personal property. If you choose to use them for a desktop you may. If you want to use them for anything different please ask me first.

Here's a link to more of my photography from a trip to Kentucky to visit a number of distilleries. https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t18672-chronicle-of-a-stay-in-kentucky#234203

Again, I like a lot of these, however this one struck me the most. I think the angle and the cropped framing draws the eye along the building frontage in a very interesting way. Lots of nice shots, this one is the one I like the best though.

zjgilbert":p3e5x96t said:

Thanks. I think that's probably one of my favorite ones in the bunch.

The city/building stuff is alright. I liked the osprey shots, too. Until I get a proper camera, there's no way I'm going to post my stuff, nor go into specific criticism. I'm not a photographer, just an art snob.

What camera do you use, Z?

8)

I shoot a Canon Rebel EOS XS. I din't have any really fancy lenses, just the one that came with it (Off the top of my head i think it's a 15mm-55mm and also have a telephoto 75mm-350mm. My goal is to get myself a better lap top then look into better lenses and eventually upgrade my camera itself. Right now i'm just doing this as a hobby for myself. In the future i want it to be a hobby that pays for itself. My plan is once i get my new lap top I'll offer free photoshoots, but accept donations. I want to help out friends an family and just bless people with something that is ordinarily a fairly expensive thing. My hope is that this will help get my name out enough to where I can charge a rate, but still help people out who can't afford it. This is somethin that I really enjoy doing, so matter how it works out it's a win-win.

Most of them in the upper half of the collection make me feel uncomfortable about contrast that seems in excess, or in some cases they remind me of how photos look when too much sharpening has been applied. The photos in the lower half of the collection seem less like that to me; they capture my interest better than the others.

Steve

Unless you get a handful of weddings or something, as a word of advice, don't expect to make money with your camera. Back in the day, when specialized equipment, know-how and developing all were required to be a "photographer," any old Joe can go to Costco, get a camera kit, and be a "professional." That said, the competition isn't just fierce, it's overrun with novices that think they have what it takes--especially with the software suites that are available to help them.

Do it for yourself. Spend money taking classes, learn how to mat and frame, maybe find a few small places willing to put up your stuff. Make a portfolio, both physical and digital. That way, you'll always have something to give people as gifts if they like them, you gain some enjoyment, learn something and once in a rare while--make a buck or two.

Photography these days (not yours, just in general) seems to lack subject matter, and suddenly it's who can photoshop the best, add the color that wasn't there, etc. Back in the day, when it mattered, film and developing being expensive and time-consuming, your shots mattered...every one. You got good quick or you went broke. People, places and things took on a new interest, rather than "whatever was around." Today, you just throw money at stuff and get better...Macs, lenses, camera bodies (the latest and greatest), auto-focus, programs...sky's the limit if you have the clams. Skill and even artistry is a distant thought to most.

I believe the easiness of today killed the subject matter of photography; very few are taking portraits or photographic accounts, just snapping any old thing (because they can).

8)

I agree, kyle. I actually took a basic photography course last semester and will be taking the advanced this semester. I'm thinking about taking a film photography class in the future where tey teach you how to develop your photos in a dark room. I know there's no market for that though. Like i said earlier though, I'm not expecting to make any money off of this. Maybe a little pocket change down the road, but nothin at the moment. I appreciate the feedback guys! 8)

I think that you have the knack for photography and that's far more important than the fancy lenses but I'd love to see what you could do with a fish eye or a good wide angle.

I believe lenses are really where the magic happens with DSLR and modern photography, if you ask me. Lens dynamics cannot be "digitized," and programs that adjust for lens capture look pretty off to me. You can find lenses for your camera's mount for cheap, and often in junk stores or on eBay. Adapters will allow even more choices. Learning manual focus and aperture can be rewarding, as well as discovering why some lenses (Hosa, for example) lend themselves an instant, visual advantage you can't get with software.

I agree, Z, take some film photography classes just for the experience. I haven't the cash to do so, but I have a handful of "art buddies" who go this route in their routine, there's even a for-rent darkroom/developing space here in town for those that want to take the road less traveled.j Plus, you might get this desired "vintage" look you apply with software, naturally, as a bonus. It's sad, few people even care or recognize a developed, film print versus a digital one--sometimes lint, weird exposures and simply mean people say "...oh, they forgot to photoshop that out," or even better, "...oh, they photoshopped that IN to make it look like film..." :lol: Technology is a curse, sometimes.

Though one thing about digital photography I find cool is this new thing where people can print directly to a canvas rather than photo paper, and give the print some definition, texture and robust medium for their images.

8)

You have some great shots here. I especially like the street lights and rural fields and roads.

DC in Texas