Some re-impressions of an old fave.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monbla256

Reaction score
Over 15 years ago I was a CONFIRMED English/Balkan smoker. I had bought into the "real pipe smokers" smoke these blends BS that was floating around much of the pipe world, ( in some ways, it's still found) and only smoked two Va's as a change of pace, mainly for the sweet that we all like to experience once in awhile :twisted: They were Dunhill's Flake and the subject of this "re-impression", McClelland's Virginia Woods. I've gone from 5/6 English/Balkan's in my daily rotation to just two now and 5/6 Va's dominating my smoking preferences :twisted:
McC describes it as thus: "Formulated for a smooth, rich flavor with an incomparable woodsy aroma. Blended from matured Red Cake, Stoved Black Virginia, wide-cut Bright Virginia tobacco's". It is all this and MORE ! The Red Va's form a nice sweet base that is always present thru the smoke, with Stoved Black va's adding the always present background smokiness. The Bright Va's add just a hint of the nice citrusy spice to balance it all out! It comes in the tin in a nice dark red with bright gold specks ribbon/shag cut which packs easily and lights the same. And for the "ketchup" folks the smoky, acidic aroma is there, but try as I might I have not yet smelled a ketchup in the bottle that smelled like ANY McC 'bacs aroma :twisted:
It lights easily, one match to char, tamp, and then another to light. It will stay lit to the bottom if you continuously sip, but I'm forever setting a pipe down and it goes out so I re-light often which is ok by me. It does NOT bite, but that may be due more to my smoking style of "breath smoking" ie. sipping my Va's which I recommend to anyone smoking ANY Va anyway. No wetness during my smokes and it maintains it's flavor all the way to the dry bottom ash you end up with! As far as a room note, I like it, a nice all tobacco smoky sweetness similar to the taste element. All in all, I can see this one joining my fave Va's in the near future and I'm sure it would only get better as most Va's do with age and now I wish I could find it in bulk :twisted: Bottom line: I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT :cheers: :cheers:

Thanks for the really good and thorough review, Monbla. I will have to try this one. It sure sounds good!

Good stuff. I'm smoking some right now, by pure coincidence. Better even than McC's bulk 2000. or whatever it's called--and that's saying something. Don't know why anyone would want an aromatic when they can get this.

monbla" Your description denotes a smokey sweetness. Does this in any way resemble Latakia? I've read that Latakia has a smokey quality and I cannot tolerate Latakia at any level. If this tobacco doesn't have any Latakia qualities then is sounds like a tobacco that I'd like and will give it a try.
AJ

I think a lot of us older pipe smokers have heard the same tone coming from other experienced pipers. Until I met my old dear departed friend Tom Colwell, who used to smoke Virginias exclusively. He IMO was the epitome of an experienced and gentleman pipe smoker that was one of the most important figures in the collecting of vintage briars. He always used to joke around and say that heavy Latakia blends were for the younger crowd, and as you get on in years you acquire a liking for fine Virginia tobaccos with so much flavor and complexity. As I get older I still enjoy my favorite Balkan blends but find myself puffing on more excellent Virginia tobacco as well. Thanks for the info on your experiences Monbla, I have to agree with you. McClelland is tops for quality leaf and aged Virginia flavor. Of course I still rate the British Virginias tops in my book as well.

ajn27511":dd1u9dcf said:
monbla" Your description denotes a smokey sweetness. Does this in any way resemble Latakia? I've read that Latakia has a smokey quality and I cannot tolerate Latakia at any level. If this tobacco doesn't have any Latakia qualities then is sounds like a tobacco that I'd like and will give it a try.
AJ
Not ALL "smokiness" is the same. This has more of a "BBQ" sort of flavor, not the woody smokiness of Latakia. Give it a try, you find it to your liking :lol:

And on the flip side....

...I started out loving (and still do) Va's and Vapers. Dunhill Flake, Royal Yacht and Bull's Eye were my constant bowl-fillers, my love of the V was well renowned in my local B&M.
I have of late however discovered the absolute joy of the smokable-Valium that is Nightcap. To tame her slightly, I sometimes throw in a bit of Erinmore Balkan and only today I scored my first tin of London Mixture. I've had one bowl so far, in a large BC billiard and thoroughly enjoyed it.
I have no intention of turning my back on my beloved old favourites but I'm so pleased to have begun my journey along the paths marked 'Latakia and Oriental'.