Some thoughts on a current Dunhill blend/mixture

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monbla256

Reaction score
As many here know I've been a confirmed English/Balkan smoker who has smoked VA's off and on along with them for many years now ( I won't say how many, it bothers some Brothers :twisted: ) Iv'e smoked both the Murray and Orlik blended Dunhill bacs and believe that Orlik has done a creditable job of continueing the flavor/aroma and smoking qualities of the previous itterations.
With this said, I've recently begun smoking one which I'm finding to be one of the BEST blends/mixtures of just about ANY made today. Many of us who enjoy st.va's acclaim the virtues of this one over that, and I have done the same many times. But I have found ONE blend which I have to say may be THE definition of the genus ST. VA - Dunhill Flake!! It is a superbly produced flake va, light golden/brown in color, the flakes packed evenly and meticulously cut in size in the tin. The aroma when the tin is opened is a light fruity tobacco scent, very appealing and not over-powering in any way. The flakes rub out easily ( my fave way to smoke flakes) and loading was easy and it lights well with just a re-ligt after char and tamp and burns evenly and smoothly for the whole bowl ( yes it will go out when the pipe is put down for a bit but re-light is effortless and the flavor just picks up where it left off) It can bite, as any VA will, if not sipped nice and easy.The room note is one of a good honest tobacco, not sweet, not sour. It smokes to a fine grey ash with no dottle and no wetness at all. The flavor is one of clean dry tobacco with a bit of sweet/tang in the background, a taste which would alow it to be a constant all day smoke IMHO.
All in all, it is STILL as good as it was back when Murray blended it and it will become one of my "go-to" Va's in my "cellar" It's what i would call a "benchmark" St. Va, one Mr. Pease and the "ketchup" folks up in KC still should aspire to. JMHO :p

It's one on my list, has been for a while. I guess it's a "contentious tobacco" that some like and others wrinkle their nose. Perfect fodder for my tastebuds...

...four score and seven years ago, Monbla picked up a humble pipe... :lol!: :p :p :p

8)

That's funny. I'm smoking Dunhill Flake as I read this post! :p

I agree. It's a nice light, sweet Virginia flake. I never got the opportunity to try Light Flake, but the new iteration is good enough for me. I popped an 18 month old tin yeaterday and just can't get tired of it. I hope I have the discipline to leave a tin or two on the shelf for at least 5 years. That'll be good to try.

I have a tin or two in the cellar, and looking to get a hold of some more. How much age do you suggest putting on it before smoking?

I agree, it's a v nice VA flake. If I smoked several pipes a day, every day, it would be a great 'change of pace' tobacco for me. Since I don't, it was a bit on the boring side for me.

Yes, it's a nice VA flake. If you like it, try Orlik Golden Sliced: costs half as much and is twice as good. :)

Been thinking of getting a tin or two. One of course to sock away. How does it compare to McConnell's SF? I love that stuff even though my tin was opened not by coin or knife, but by bare hand (bad seal, but tobak was ok), or are they two different beasts entirely?

and OGS is very good, even better with a few years on it. Got a 7 year old tin in my mancave I was looking at earlier. But Ive got too many open, of which 2 (Balkan Sobranie, H&H Virginia Night) I am smoking and donating the rest.

Wet Dottle":fdal2r7m said:
Yes, it's a nice VA flake. If you like it, try Orlik Golden Sliced: costs half as much and is twice as good. :)
It's NOT a VaPer as OGS is, just straight virginias which is what I prefer and as far as "aging", I'm sure it would do well as most Va's do, I just am from that era when we smoked our 'bac "fresh" . Works for me and I don't have as much disposable income as you guys to allow me to get ahead 'bac wise. When I buy it, I smoke it :p

I've been looking at the Dunhill and the Orlik. As soon as my can of MacBaren Virginia Flake is done I'll oder both of these to compare. Thanks for sharing.

monbla256":me18m2vp said:
and the "ketchup" folks up in KC still should aspire to. JMHO :p
I've read and based some of my own purchase's on your praise of the McC Mature Virginia's. Are saying DF makes them second class citizens compared to it? I without a doubt smoke and cellar DF but to hear you call it the "BENCHMARK" makes me wonder what other VA's you would consider equal or close to DF?

OGS is good stuff... and this is coming from the anti-Periqueness of the Weiss Tongue. :lol:

8)

Wet Dottle":psho6k1d said:
Two different animals. OGS is a VaPer, and DH Flake a straight Virginia blend. Both being Orlik creations, I wouldn't be surprised if the Virginia tobacco used is the same for both blends. That might account for any taste similarities. Just a guess on my part though.

IMO DH Flake would get the nod within their respective genres. :cat:

Joeluka":lsp372ro said:
monbla256":lsp372ro said:
and the "ketchup" folks up in KC still should aspire to. JMHO :p
I've read and based some of my own purchase's on your praise of the McC Mature Virginia's. Are saying DF makes them second class citizens compared to it? I without a doubt smoke and cellar DF but to hear you call it the "BENCHMARK" makes me wonder what other VA's you would consider equal or close to DF?
My statement about Dunhill being a "benchmark" blender is in relation to it's length of time in the blending business and the style and quality of the products they produced for all those years. They've been known to produce a product with a consistancy through three blenders who have produced their tobaccos. In my mind that establishes a "benchmark" of sorts.
DF is probably one of the few solely VA flakes still produced today by just about anyone. That doesn't take away from any of the FINE Va blends that are made by McC. or G.L.P. as they both produce VA blends I smoke on a daily basis. DF just does not taste nor smell as if it has much if any additives added though G.L.P. has stated that ALL blends have SOME additives even his. As far as what I THINK would be close or equal,I'd have to say Pease's Union Square and Newminister's #400 Superior Navy Flake and McC's bulk #2010 which are all tobacco's I have and currently smoke( not much of the Union Sq. as the DF has sort of taken it's place for me now.)
As far as VaPers go they are not really on my list as Perique has much the same effect on me as Burley so I try and stay away from a lot of it if I can :p

How long should any blend be aged?

It depends on the amount of change that an amount of aging will produce. I haven't smoked enough aged tobacco(s) of different age nor have I smoked any one tobacco at 2, 5, 10 or 20 years. But I do know tobaccos change with age, some more, some less.

You'd have to do taste tests so as to know whether 1 year, 5 years or more is most to your liking; moreover you'd have to do this with each tobacco or each tobacco class, and take notes.

Of course over the course of time your tobacco preferences and your taster will also change.

Heck, I'd age tobaccos that you really like that benefit the most from age, and if you want to see what some age will do, age 2 years. If you want the most change in the smallest amount of time, taste again at five years; and for VAs, put some to bed for 10 years or more. But remember, although you can be buried with your best pipe, you can't smoke that great aged tobacco in the grave.

So just age some VA and when the spirit moves you, smoke it.

MisterE":c0gsa9va said:
Perique ist der weiße Zunge verboten! :pale:
Well, perhaps not verboten, but whatever German is for "very scant amounts." :lol:

8)