Something for the cold winter months

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobostro61

Reaction score
Got a new handy dandy little toy today for those cold winter days when its too cold to work in the garage. Jaws are rubber so the wood won't get marked up.

That is a very cool small vice! I have one that is similar, however it doesn't have the rubber jaws, which is ideal for working on delicate items. Now I've got to get one of those for myself! :cheers:

Bobostro61":c2wna30w said:
$12 at Menards.
Pro'lly less at Harbor Freight. ;-) Serioulsy, I love my rubber jawed vise. An inexpensive gift is also those helping-hands things like this one.

Here's what came out of the hunk of wood in the vice above. It's not briar. A wood I bought to try out called Jobillo.
I have officially lost my "making a bent pipe" virginity. :roll:

Need to polish up the stem to get rid of those sanding marks.

:cyclops: beautiful pipe - you're about to make me get some wood and get my carving tools out :cheers:

Thanks. I know I could have done better on it, but it was a practice pipe. Lots of "firsts" on it. First bent pipe I've made, first time I've drilled my own airway and tobacco chamber, first time I've bent a stem, first time with wood other than briar. The airway hole I drilled a little off center. Although you can't tell from the pic, the stem is just a little bit crooked. Also, this wood is softer than I expected. They advertised it as very hard and great for turning. You can dent the wood by running your fingernail across it. The real test I guess will be to put some tobacco in it and give it a smoke. Hopefully it won't taste like a camp fire!