Something rancid...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishMonk

Reaction score
Not sure what this is, but I'm learning a few key lessons early on in this new 'hobby' of mine.
I have no idea what I'm smoking because I'm pretty sure the Tobacconist changed the name. They call it 'Cool Aromatic', an all black cavendish which smelled great. However, when smoked it tastes like what I assume burning notebook paper would taste like.
If you're ever in Rockwall, TX stop in at En Fuego... just don't buy the "cool aromatic" !

Valuable lessons you are learning. We are all constantly learning them no matter how long we have been in the hobby.

Seven yrs or so ago the proprietor of Trinity Smoke Shop, my local B&M now out of business sadly, urged me to stop being so hung up on those fancy tins I'd been buying and try something from his tobacco bar. I really had no interest in anything he had there but he was a very nice man and had treated me well for a number of years. He recommended the same sort of black cav you are now cursed with. I bought 2oz just out of politeness. Yes you are right! It's tasted like burnt notebook paper. To which I will add, had been mixed with imitation maple syrup and rat poop.

I tried adding small amounts of it to other blends I didn't like only to render them totally un-smokeable!

My advise: Ditch the stuff!

Regards, Rich

yep... well, sadly I bought 3 oz just to fill one of my jars. I have yet to taste a tinned tobacco, but I do have one on the way. 1888 Early Day, hopefully that will be a decent intro into the tinned stuff...

Villiger 1888 Early Day is a wonderfully mild English blend. Great for those who only want a little Latakia. The other Villiger blends are also excellent.

Ocelot55":eouw7t5r said:
Villiger 1888 Early Day is a wonderfully mild English blend. Great for those who only want a little Latakia. The other Villiger blends are also excellent.
I like the 1888 After Dinner when I want something mild. Burley, virginia and perique. You'd think it would be just another OGS or PSLNF knockoff but it isn't. It's milder in flavor.

williamcharles":ae6yywgg said:
Ocelot55":ae6yywgg said:
I like the 1888 After Dinner when I want something mild. Burley, virginia and perique. You'd think it would be just another OGS or PSLNF knockoff but it isn't. It's milder in flavor.
After Dinner is my favorite! I usually can't smoke Burley, but this flake is mild with almost no bite to my palate. Cocktail Hour is also good, but is nothing like the description on the tin.

You got the description right. Cheap flavored cavendish pretty much just tastes like burned paper. You live and learn.

Hm, guess I got lucky, or need to develop my palate. I have a black cavendish from a local tobacconist and it's pretty good. Smooth and long-burning.

But I'm in LOVE with Squadron Leader right now and developing a taste for Mac Baren's Dark Twist Roll Cake. The taste isn't quite there (I need to try different ways of packing it), but there is a strong sense of chocolate I get when I smoke it that I love....

number_seven":5rajp3f4 said:
Hm, guess I got lucky, or need to develop my palate. I have a black cavendish from a local tobacconist and it's pretty good. Smooth and long-burning.
Probably Lane's BCA - not that it's bad or anything. Actually, BCA is a great mixer for those blends that just need a little 'something' to make them more interesting.