Something seems wrong here

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
puros_bran":daq8r6zo said:
Pipetongue is getting his medicine from th Evil Health Care industry..
I've never had problems getting treated...
Where are these millions that cant get treated??????????????????????

When the cost of the care to the individual who requires it becomes prohibitive or requires an inordinate sacrifice to obtain it, that not only borders on extorsion but effectively prevents that person from obtaining treatment.

I don't know about millions, but here are 12:

http://www.billshrink.com/blog/5596/health-care/

I'm not saying these people don't have any responsibility for what happened to them, but I am saying that stories like these are just plain wrong and should not happen. It comes down to whether you think compassion or capitalism is more important.

Frost":35ez7j87 said:
puros_bran":35ez7j87 said:

When the cost of the care to the individual who requires it becomes prohibitive or requires an inordinate sacrifice to obtain it, that not only borders on extorsion, but effectively prevents that person from obtaining treatment.

I'm not saying these people don't have any responsibility for what happened to them, but I am saying that stories like these are just plain wrong and should not happen. It comes down to whether you think compassion or capitalism is more important.
for the majority of people who work in the industry, it's compassion, even at for profit hospitals. we do want to help people. cancer comes out of nowhere. disease devastates a previously healthy person. it's horrible. there shouldn't a super hospital for michael douglas, but is out of reach for my brother who developed colon cancer in his late 20's. question is, how do you pay for it. how do you pay for innovation, world class surgeons, technology. i don't have the answer to this. right now the japanese have what is considered by many to be the best universal healthcare in the world. you know how they do it? their doctors are middle class. it ain't happening in the us of a.

Since when does the clinic down the street not charge based on your income???
I'm not saying its Bethsada by anymeans... what I'm saying is there is health care offered... on top of that the ER CANT turn you away..
There never has (in modern times) been people that couldn't get medical treatment if they sought it.. your to stupid to seek care I can't help you..

My point about the hospital eating the bill is just the point you made... The people that seem to want to 'stick it to the rich' 'screw the evil corporations' etc etc etc are the loudest protesters to hanging the hospital with the bill... seems like by the logic presented by that 'side' hanging the private business would be the goal.. Thats who your bitching about as unfair while at the same time saying hanging them with the bill is unfair...

Last edited by Frost on Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : too many commas)

Commas ,are,our,friend,Frost.

The last comment that I'll make on it....

HCR didn't help you.. It didn't help me... It didn't help your boss(unless you work for insurance or government).. It didn't help the medical field..

All it did was increase the big business power of insurance to a near death grip and allocate more finage/taxation/oversight/control of your life by the government.

bruins":josrf8qt said:
Frost":josrf8qt said:
puros_bran":josrf8qt said:

When the cost of the care to the individual who requires it becomes prohibitive or requires an inordinate sacrifice to obtain it, that not only borders on extorsion, but effectively prevents that person from obtaining treatment.

for the majority of people who work in the industry, it's compassion, even at for profit hospitals. we do want to help people. cancer comes out of nowhere. disease devastates a previously healthy person. it's horrible. there shouldn't a super hospital for michael douglas, but is out of reach for my brother who developed colon cancer in his late 20's. question is, how do you pay for it. how do you pay for innovation, world class surgeons, technology. i don't have the answer to this. right now the japanese have what is considered by many to be the best universal healthcare in the world. you know how they do it? their doctors are middle class. it ain't happening in the us of a.
They're doing the same thing at the hospital I'm working at. It's getting old going into work wondering if my position is going to be eliminated. I think you touched on an important part of the problem. There are folks that are getting rich off of other's poor health and it ain't you and me bruins. When CEO's and MD's are pulling in well over a quarter million in salary each year what do they do to cut cost? They start hacking away at the sharp edge of healthcare. They'll still get rich. Universal healthcare as it's been proposed isn't going to solve much. In fact it will make it worse. You'll likely see a sharp decline in the quality of care in the very near future if not already. I would agree that healthcare needs to be made more affordable but it won't happen the way it needs to without regulating the greed. I say that even though I'm not a huge fan of government regulation.

Wayne_Teipen":zctt76t3 said:
They're doing the same thing at the hospital I'm working at. It's getting old going into work wondering if my position is going to be eliminated. I think you touched on an important part of the problem. There are folks that are getting rich off of other's poor health and it ain't you and me bruins. When CEO's and MD's are pulling in well over a quarter million in salary each year what do they do to cut cost? They start hacking away at the sharp edge of healthcare. They'll still get rich. Universal healthcare as it's been proposed isn't going to solve much. In fact it will make it worse. You'll likely see a sharp decline in the quality of care in the very near future if not already. I would agree that healthcare needs to be made more affordable but it won't happen the way it needs to without regulating the greed. I say that even though I'm not a huge fan of government regulation.
was hoping you'd chime in. you're right in the thick of it. yeah, i was floored when they announced the layoffs yesterday. luckily it was just a handful of people, (not for them of course), but it's got us all pretty nervous.

ah, one other cut they announced, thought it was interesting...no more microsoft products. with something like 500+ computers throughout the complex, the license fees are a big wasted expense. they're moving to open office type programs.

bruins":m19q376d said:
ah, one other cut they announced, thought it was interesting...no more microsoft products. with something like 500+ computers throughout the complex, the license fees are a big wasted expense. they're moving to open office type programs.
Now that's what I'm talking about. Huge cost saving right there!
smiley-money-mouth.gif

bluedigital":m78ho6uh said:
bruins":m78ho6uh said:
Now that's what I'm talking about. Huge cost saving right there!
smiley-money-mouth.gif
yeah, if we need a coordinator i'm going to suggest you, BD!!! pack your bags! (but with all the budget cuts, they'll probably have you come over in a canoe.) :D

bruins":2vexm4q0 said:
yeah, if we need a coordinator i'm going to suggest you, BD!!! pack your bags! (but with all the budget cuts, they'll probably have you come over in a canoe.) :D
Gonna have to bring Piet and Mudd along as well, for support ya know!
SmileyHalloween02.gif

you're all bunkin' at my house! the fire department will come out there'll be so much smoke!!! :D

Frost":i2wad5f2 said:
Wow, it took like 5 whole posts to turn the thread in to RR material. You guys are slackin' :lol:

puros_bran":i2wad5f2 said:
And Hospitals aren't non profit, well most of them aren't anyway... but there are tons and tons and tons of clinics that are.. Of course the guiltladen fearful imagine that its far inferior care... Whatever...

I wish they'd just put the damn shackles on us and be done with it.. Of course then the libbys and psuedo-conservatives would just cuss the evilness of the system instead of admitting the people they backed Fucked us!
When is the last time somebody didn't fuck us? Lol. Sure wasn't as long as I have been alive...admittedly I am somewhat of a youngin' by BoB standards, but my butt has definately been sore for many years.

I still can't comprehend anyone who belives that capitalism can still work as a moral guide, and when applied to healthcare that is exactly what it becomes. It contains within it the seeds of it's own destruction just like every other political ideology.

Some things just shouldn't be about money, and in my opinion caring for the sick/injured is one of them. Actually in my opinion most things shouldn't be about money. If that makes me a flaming lib in somone's eyes then so be it, but when the pursuit of wealth and capital becomes more important than the health, happiness and safety of your fellow human beings then it is fairly obvious (to me) that we are on a steep and slippery slope to hell.

Don't get my wrong PB, I agree that the whole obamacare thing is massively screwed and I am sure it will just replace our old problems with new ones to bitch about...I just think it's pretty low on the priority list as far as what needs fixin' is all.
Thank God... People forget that- this country is more than wealthy enough that no one should suffer and/or die because of a lack of money. Before the usual BS comes, no one makes their money on their own. It's all a social process. We pay taxes for our own and others' betterment. If you don't like it, go live by yourself in a cave and see how you like that.