Something wicked this way comes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psmith

Reaction score
I really have my father-in-law to thank for helping me get into the world of pipes. He had a collection of about 7 different pipes that he collected back in the 80's when he smoked pipes that he graciously gifted to me. It was a score: BBB's, a GBD, a Peterson XL306, and few Dr. Plumbs and a few others like a leather clad French made pipe. Thank you dear father-in-law. The one thing I managed to avoid was the large tub of tobacco that he's kept on his shelf for 3 decades now.

Last weekend I found out he likes the ocasional cigar so I cut and gave him a few Partagas Aristocrats and a Jose Piedra Cazadore from my tupperdore. He was excited to get back to the countryside and smoke those down.

Well, in typical Korean fashion, no gift can be accepted at just face value. Wanting to reciprocate my giving of cigars, he has just sent a parcel to me in the post and it should be arriving tomorrow or the next day.

What is it? The big tub that time forgot. A big white and brown plastic bucket of (miraculously still moist and very aromatic)....

Mixture 79

Is the leather-clad French pipe a "Longchamp" by chance?? If so, that should be one great smoking pipe. Dang good Algerian briar, not putty-filled wood covered up in cheap leather. Please don't put Mixture 79 in it :evil: I put that stuff up next to Paladin's Black Cherry on FTRPLT's most despised 'baccy's ever smoked list :p :p :p :cheers: FTRPLT

Psmith":uzzkd1km said:
I really have my father-in-law to thank for helping me get into the world of pipes.  He had a collection of about 7 different pipes that he collected back in the 80's when he smoked pipes that he graciously gifted to me.  It was a score: BBB's, a GBD, a Peterson XL306, and few Dr. Plumbs and a few others like a leather clad French made pipe.  Thank you dear father-in-law.  The one thing I managed to avoid was the large tub of tobacco that he's kept on his shelf for 3 decades now.

Last weekend I found out he likes the ocasional cigar so I cut and gave him a few Partagas Aristocrats and a Jose Piedra Cazadore from my tupperdore.  He was excited to get back to the countryside and smoke those down.

Well, in typical Korean fashion, no gift can be accepted at just face value.  Wanting to reciprocate my giving of cigars, he has just sent a parcel to me in the post and it should be arriving tomorrow or the next day.

What is it? The big tub that time forgot.  A big white and brown plastic bucket of (miraculously still moist and very aromatic)....

Mixture 79
As you know, it's the thought that counts!
And it's just goes to show ya, No good deed goes unpunished. :lol!:

Your FIL sounds very generous. Wonderful that he bequeathed those pipes to you. What a great story each one could tell.

I've never had the pleasure(?) of old 79 Mixture. Yet from what I gather on the boards it's not exactly a go-to is it? At least from today's standpoint.

It must've been popular back in the day, and hey, if it's what your FIL smoked perhaps you should pay him a bit of honor by inaugurating those pipes with it........

....or not as the case may be!

:silent:

Cheers,

RR

BD, It's sorta a Licorice flavored blend and without expanding on it further, it's Ghastly!

Cartaphilus":yhzzubpp said:
BD, It's sorta a Licorice flavored blend and without expanding on it further, it's Ghastly!
I'll take you at your word Ron.

I cut my pipe teeth on Unhe's 255, which has a light licorice topping. And as I've stated many time here before, it was what my Pap smoked. And I figured if it was good enough for Pap it was good enough for me. Still enjoy it occasionally.

Not terribly familiar with other licorice blends since they don't appeal as a general rule. Tried out some of the G&H offerings and they were completely OTT for me.

I'm rambling now, but guess I'd probably try 79 out of curiosity more than anything. But don't be in a hurry to send me any please.

;)

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":cz20z94w said:
Cartaphilus":cz20z94w said:

I cut my pipe teeth on Unhe's 255, which has a light licorice topping. And as I've stated many time here before, it was what my Pap smoked. And I figured if it was good enough for Pap it was good enough for me. Still enjoy it occasionally.

Not terribly familiar with other licorice blends since they don't appeal as a general rule. Tried out some of the G&H offerings and they were completely OTT for me.

I'm rambling now, but guess I'd probably try 79 out of curiosity more than anything. But don't be in a hurry to send me any please.

;)

Cheers,

RR
Do me a favor and please don't smoke it in that Bulldog sir. :fpalm:

Cartaphilus":osopwclp said:
Brewdude":osopwclp said:
Cartaphilus":osopwclp said:

;)

Cheers,

RR
Do me a favor and please don't smoke it in that Bulldog sir. :fpalm:
No worries there my friend!

:sunny:

Cheers,

RR

Mixture No. 79 was OK--but I always had to cut it 50:50 with Prince Albert or something. (Actually, on reflection, I think it was Mac Baren's Golden Extra.) It wouldn't stink up your car or or den or whatever like Paladin BC would, no matter how much you diluted the latter.

The reviews of No. 79 on TR are mostly negative (though not all), but the interesting thing is the hilarious heights of negativity reached by the reviewers. Few settled for "I don't care for this." They're inspired, though not in the usual way.

smoker13":hsd75p7s said:
The thing to remember is, if you're going to be smoking Mixture 79, be sure to complement it by wearing Brut cologne!
Yep. Hugh Hefner's tobacco of choice.

playbo10.jpg
" />

So it arrived.

I did the honorable thing and gave it a whirl in a bent Dr.Plumb that I rarely ever use (because it has this rather long stem that prevents it from fitting in my pipe case...was worried about ghosting a pipe).

I had read the scathing reviews of it on TR as well so of course I was expecting the worst. Someone on there compared to a urinal puck which made the notion of smoking it a bit daunting. Here we go. It was pretty gross.

Definitely whatever perfume its doused in comes through in the smoke. It was pretty offensive at first, kind of like walking into a small room where someone has just sprayed air-freshener. Or smoking potpourri. But as I powered on it became less pronounced and then it just took on a more sour burley flavor.

Once is enough for me. If anyone knows Hugh Hefner's mailing address let me know...I will send it to him.

Unfortunately I was out of Brut cologne to wear while smoking it. I had to settle for Aqua Velva instead which went well with my red velvet smoking jacket and silk pajamas.