Sometimes the fates are kind.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Lowry

Reaction score
I stumbled upon a pipe on Ebay that seemed to good to be true. I bid anyway, figuring that if it was all a lie, I could send it back and get refunded. It arrived today. Here's a photo from the auction:

wova.jpg

It's a Wiley Ovation, unsmoked, undented, unscratched, in perfect condition. The grain you see in the photo goes all the way around. It's a large pipe (the squares are inches), but surprisingly light. The first bowl smoked like it was an old pipe that had been broken in for years, which I guess I have to attribute to the very thick walls on the bowl, and maybe the way Randy treats the wood, I dunno for sure. Big open draw, as is common with his stuff.

I've had some semi-scores on Ebay over the years, and a couple of oopsies, but this one really takes the cake. I've always wondered what a high-end pipe smoked like, and now I can know.

I was going to say that I don't mean to brag, but that would be a lie. I'm tickled as can be, and feel a bit smirky.  8) I'm going to start keeping my eyes peeled for an S. Bang that starts at ten dollars and is titled "SBANG pipe, used, don't know what it's worth, picked it up at a yard sale."

$145, brothers and sisters. I have mediocre Petersons that cost that much. Of course, I also have some absolutely fabulous Petersons that cost less than that, but no need to bring up relative values and all that.

Edit to add: Jeez, I'm sorry for the size of that photo. I thought the site would automatically downsize it. My apologies to you!

Beautiful pipe! Great grain and great styling on the stem, I think the bowl shaping and stem style compliment each other well.

Great to hear it smokes as well as it looks. I've been eyeing Wiley pipes for a while.

AFIC there is no reason to apologize for the size of the pic. The better to show that beautiful grain! Congrats on your new pipe. It sure is a beaut and I'm happy for you. I'm glad it's a good smoker. Enjoy!

Is that as big as you could make that photo? I can hardly see the dadburn little thing.
Beautiful pipe though anyway.

I was just reading about how Wileys are under-rated and sneak under the radar, it looks like you found a winner!

riff raff":sn1ju4z3 said:
I was just reading about how Wileys are under-rated and sneak under the radar, it looks like you found a winner!
Maybe "underated" today, but back in the early eighties when he first came out they were rated as BETTER than many of the famous Danish freehand makers. Especially the early pipes that were made by Randy. Not being a big fan of the "Danish Style" of freehands back then I never got one. BTW THAT is one phenomenally grained and shaped pipe ! Ya done GOOD guy !!  :twisted: :twisted: 

Ah yes, now I remember. It was in an old issue of the Empheris. Wiley and David Jones were both highly celebrated as artisan pipe makers.

monbla256":wd2xvi2j said:
riff raff":wd2xvi2j said:
Maybe "underated" today, but back in the early eighties when he first came out they were rated as BETTER than many of the famous Danish freehand makers. Especially the early pipes that were made by Randy. Not being a big fan of the "Danish Style" of freehands back then I never got one. BTW THAT is one phenomenally grained and shaped pipe ! Ya done GOOD guy !!  :twisted: :twisted: 

Outstanding! :shock:  I've always wanted one of those but have never been able to find the Ovation. That pipe will smoke like a dream due to the way Wiley cures his pipes. I have a couple of Wileys and I love them. Congrats on that one.