Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer that button shape/size as well. I guess that is personal preference. The ratio of shank to stem seems right to my admittedly unpracticed eye.

Here is a Group 5 Amber Root. I think this one is magnificent (at least in photos).

getImageVar.asp

http://www.alpascia.com/pipes/d/Dunhill-605-i24430x1.html

I don't think Dunhills were really known for grain, but that looks pretty good in my book. $471 doesn't seem outrageous.

Al,
You are certainly correct when you say that Dunhill pipes are not really known for grain but the photo really depicts a fine looking pipe. Straight Grain only surfaced in the DR series where prices steadily increased with each ascending grade. Some designations were letter grades i.e. DRE and later they used stars i.e. DR***
Prices on some of the Dunhill DR grades today is staggering.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: I love Dunhills. To me they are my favorite factory made pipe on the market. They still make wonderfully classic shapes (albeit a bit sloppily of late), and have a rich history. I just think people feel deceived when they buy a Dunhill, which are supposedly the best money can buy, and discover their Stanwell has a better polish on it ect.

I will NEVER pay retail for a Dunhill pipe. They're really selling a $150-$300 pipe for near three times that amount, and while I have no problem paying for quality, paying for a name is plain dumb.

I have no experience with their new pipes but I find this hard to believe. Now if you were talking about Peterson, no question, as I have seen first hand current high end Peterson's with fills both inside and outside the bowl.

I own one Dunhill, a 1960's 127 Shell Briar and it smokes incredibly well and it's built like a elegantly balanced tank. It's a beautiful specimen of a classic straight billiard.

Hell, if you think you got a dud, send it back. I hardly doubt you'd get another in return.

I'm pretty fond of Dunnies. I have several, in fact. Only one of the bunch is not like the rest. For some reason the draw is too open for my taste. Not a bad pipe, but just sits on the bench more than the others. I believe it was made in 2002 iirc.

I have one from 1987 that is misdrilled and a little lopsided. It works well so I've kept it.

In general, I find that the pre-1970 pipes are a little more consistent overall both as smokers and with workmanship. After that they tend to fall a little further from the tree.

sisyphus":ppsqngvi said:
monbla256":ppsqngvi said:
First off, "Dunhill: pipes are NO MORE. Anything made by the former firm of Dunhill after 2010 is now stamped "White Spot" no Dunhill stamping is found on them anywhere.
This is not true. The new nomenclature started in late 2012, and you'll find 2012s with both the old oval Dunhill stamp and the new White Spot stamp. Most 2012s will be the old stamp, with all 2013s having the new nomenclature.
Yup, my 2012 has the traditional Dunhill stamp. And it's a fantastic pipe, one of my favorites.

What I can't fathom is why they would remove the Dunhill name/logo when people pay for the Dunhill name for its perceived or actual quality.

Even if they've sold off the line, it still carries the Dunhill name at retail. It just doesn't say Dunhill any more? That is weird.

The corporate name Dunhill is owned by LVMH who bought the entire Dunhill line and (I believe) divested itself of the pipe making segment of Dunhill. They have the right to say "You may not use the name Dunhill on those pipes" as they own the name now. It is still unclear to me who actually owns "Alfred Dunhills The White Spot" pipe company now.

Well, I understand everyone has different tastes, and no problem if you like the new dunhills (or white spot or whatever) - However:

1.- When I pay 400+ for a new pipe, I expect quality control, either for a factory pipe or hand made.
2.- Grain or not, I do not expect pits and fills, there is no excuse for this. Seriously, wouldn't you be embarrased if you were a pipe maker?
3.- I can't trade it, as someone suggested. It was a gift from my wife and, unfortunately, I have to keep it.
4.- For those who think I should not dump a free melon: It was not free, it was a gift from my wife, so I actually kinda paid for it too.

I'm not coming here to dump on the brand just because. I'm speechless by the ethical standards of some companies out there. Think about it, the audacity to charge you that much for, essentially, a basket briar, just because they purchased the name.

For that amount of money I can commission a nice pipe from an artisan pipe maker, one that's properly drilled and uses a good block of high grade briar, made to my specifications.

Thomas Porculo":4sp4ljle said:
For that amount of money I can commission a nice pipe from an artisan pipe maker, one that's properly drilled and uses a good block of high grade briar, made to my specifications.
Then don't buy a Dunhill and get a pipe from an artisan maker. Sounds like you have "solved" your problem :twisted: :twisted: 

Thomas Porculo":a3b30unu said:
Well, I understand everyone has different tastes, and no problem if you like the new dunhills (or white spot or whatever) - However:

1.- When I pay 400+ for a new pipe, I expect quality control, either for a factory pipe or hand made.
2.- Grain or not, I do not expect pits and fills, there is no excuse for this. Seriously, wouldn't you be embarrased if you were a pipe maker?
3.- I can't trade it, as someone suggested. It was a gift from my wife and, unfortunately, I have to keep it.
4.- For those who think I should not dump a free melon: It was not free, it was a gift from my wife, so I actually kinda paid for it too.

I'm not coming here to dump on the brand just because. I'm speechless by the ethical standards of some companies out there. Think about it, the audacity to charge you that much for, essentially, a basket briar, just because they purchased the name.

after adding the above reply to your original post and considering your situation, the only thought I have is that if I ever display this kind of selfish, petulant, ungrateful reaction to a gift given to me by someone who loves me, I hope someone comes up and hits me right in the mouth. With any luck it'll jar me into seeing what a total jerk I am being, and I'll adjust my attitude and rightly be grateful that there is someone who loves me enough to buy me any pipe, much less a Dunhill. That is what I am going to take away from this thread.

sisyphus":0okuse4j said:
Thomas Porculo":0okuse4j said:

after adding the above reply to your original post and considering your situation, the only thought I have is that if I ever display this kind of selfish, petulant, ungrateful reaction to a gift given to me by someone who loves me, I hope someone comes up and hits me right in the mouth. With any luck it'll jar me into seeing what a total jerk I am being, and I'll adjust my attitude and rightly be grateful that there is someone who loves me enough to buy me any pipe, much less a Dunhill. That is what I am going to take away from this thread.
OK, I figure "fan boys" won't like to hear that Dunhills suck.

Sorry to hear no one loves you enough to buy you even a corn cob pipe

Thomas Porculo":1nub0ow8 said:
sisyphus":1nub0ow8 said:
Thomas Porculo":1nub0ow8 said:

C'mon, gents, don't drag the thread over that way....:pale: 

MisterE":7hvb74pg said:
Thomas Porculo":7hvb74pg said:
sisyphus":7hvb74pg said:
Thomas Porculo":7hvb74pg said:

Well, OK, as long as you attack the argument and not the person, I am more than happy to talk about the pipe, especially when you insult me without knowing a thing about me...

If you have nothing to say about THE ARGUMENT and resort to attacking the person, then you kinda lost respect and shows you have nothing to defend your point.

In this case you don't have to defend Dunhill pipes to anyone because it is all subjective. That response, however, shows that you get something because of the name and know nothing of it.

It also shows you need people to love you

MisterE":uhwolwdl said:
Thomas Porculo":uhwolwdl said:
sisyphus":uhwolwdl said:
Thomas Porculo":uhwolwdl said:

These kind of threads ALWAYS go this way. It's the ONLY way they can. Onward thru the fog :twisted: :twisted:

Thomas Porculo":d1twgfio said:
Well, OK, as long as you attack the argument and not the person, I am more than happy to talk about the pipe, especially when you insult me without knowing a thing about me...

If you have nothing to say about THE ARGUMENT and resort to attacking the person, then you kinda lost respect and shows you have nothing to defend your point.

In this case you don't have to defend Dunhill pipes to anyone because it is all subjective. That response, however, shows that you get something because of the name and know nothing of it.

It also shows you need people to love you
Ahh, the old "don't attack the person" then turn around to "attack the person" tactic.

Anyway, you came here and stated your opinion.  People disagree with you - how surprising.  

I note that you still haven't shown any pictures of this "basket pipe" quality Dunhill you received.  If you want to put forth the arguments that a) the finish is crap/Dr Grabow quality, b) the grain is mediocre, c) the fit is poor and made by a moron, d) the hole is not centered, and e) there are unacceptable pits and fills (I'm sure I missed some others), then the burden of proof for the claims lie with you - not with us to disprove your claim.  Where is the support of your argument beyond just words?  (You realize I can say the sky is purple but unless you can see it too it probably isn't that convincing, right?)

Btw, I'm not saying you're a liar.  I'd be interested to see the pipe and file it away under good information if your claims are convincing.

For my part, I've only ever see one Dunhill personally that had a fill and it was a Patent-era pipe.  I've also seen patent-era pipes where the drilling wasn't dead center.  Following your logic, therefore all Patent-era Dunhills are all crap?

I would be curious to see the pictures as well.

I don't know much at all about Dunhills or Dunhill-like pipes. I don't know much about Graybows either. I am pretty knowledgeable about marriage. I have been married to the same woman for 31+ years. I do marriage counseling.

If my wife had given me this pipe, it would be my new favorite. I would be smoking it right now with enthusiasm since we are both off today and home. It is not perfect and return on investment may be poor. When it comes right down to it, I have some imperfections too, and it is probably better not to bring up the ROI.

I bet it will be a good smoker if you give it a chance. It sounds like other options are off the table.

Fr_Tom":8jifryuq said:
If my wife had given me this pipe, it would be my new favorite. I would be smoking it right now with enthusiasm since we are both off today and home. It is not perfect and return on investment may be poor. When it comes right down to it, I have some imperfections too, and it is probably better not to bring up the ROI.
Hear, hear Fr_Tom! Well said. When something is given in love the value of the object itself become secondary.