Sorry, but the new dunhills are junk

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read no petulance in his remarks about how he got the pipe. He seemed quite aware of the situation and considerate of his wife's feeling.

Not wanting to direct any head slapping anywhere. But the author would be at the bottom of any head slapping list I might come up with.

Lets not go overboard over chunks of wood with a couple of holes drilled in them. The best come and go or rotate. Everything cycles.

We've seen similar cycling. Barling is a fine example. Time will tell.

Bluefisher":2jx0quhj said:
When something is given in love the value of the object itself become secondary.
Or even, dare I say it, irrelevant.
LOL

OK, I will figure out how to post pictures here and will do so. No later than tomorrow night you will have pictures.

To clarify another topic: My wife has no clue what I think of the pipe. To her knowledge, it is the best pipe in my collection. The gesture is worth a lot, and I would never dare tell her the pipe was junk.

With that said, why can't I have an opinion about the pipe??? If it's junk it's junk. The Queen of England can go in with Obama and the pope and buy me a a Walmart watch made in China. I would be honored to receive such attention from such people, but the item itself is still garbage and no amount of love will change that.

I can make a pipe, with love, out of aluminum foil and give it to you, my love isn't going to make it smoke well, is it?

Ahhhh, love

Fr_Tom":i68r3n6n said:
I would be curious to see the pictures as well.

I don't know much at all about Dunhills or Dunhill-like pipes. I don't know much about Graybows either. I am pretty knowledgeable about marriage. I have been married to the same woman for 31+ years. I do marriage counseling.

If my wife had given me this pipe, it would be my new favorite. I would be smoking it right now with enthusiasm since we are both off today and home. It is not perfect and return on investment may be poor. When it comes right down to it, I have some imperfections too, and it is probably better not to bring up the ROI.

I bet it will be a good smoker if you give it a chance. It sounds like other options are off the table.
I've been married for thirty-four years.
She doesn't buy me pipes; I don't buy her jewelry.
We both know better.     :twisted:

Hermit":hwnz0n8y said:
Hermit, so how long did it take you to figure it out?

I got lucky and got 33 years in the pool.  Had to fight for it though. :D  :lol:

Ok, so, I'm looking at instructions on how to post pictures and it looks like I have to create some account with some public hosting site.

Images can indeed be shown in your posts. However, there is no facility at present for uploading images directly to this board. Therefore you must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. http://www.some-unknown-place.net/my-picture.gif. You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor to images stored behind authentication mechanisms such as Hotmail or Yahoo mailboxes, password-protected sites, etc. To display the image use either the BBCode tag or appropriate HTML (if allowed).[/i]

If I have to spend the pain in the butt time taking the pictures AND creating some account somewhere then I would rather give all the fan boys an apologetic *** ([i]deleted by moderator[/i]) and say you are right

Unless there is another way for me to send you a picture.

Thomas Porculo":hvhrnypo said:
With that said, why can't I have an opinion about the pipe??? If it's junk it's junk.
You can, and you do!  Just like other people have their opinions.  It's a beautiful thing.

Thomas Porculo":hvhrnypo said:
I would rather give all the fan boys an apologetic ********and say you are right
Why call those who disagree with you fan boys? I thought we wanted to get past that attacking persons thing.  You have no reason to apologize for your original post(s), and no one is saying you're wrong (erm, well, at least I'm not).  But people do disagree with you.  If you led a revolution against Dunhill pipes I'd salute you for standing by your opinions, even if I keep buying those pipes.  Still, if we're going to debate the merits of current production Dunhill pipes it would be good to have more to go on.  I suppose you could have thought you'd post this and just get a couple of "I agree" posts back, and no debate, but I hope not...  :>

Thomas Porculo":ioylcj5f said:
Ok, so, I'm looking at instructions on how to post pictures and it looks like I have to create some account with some public hosting site.
There is a built-in thingy for the "post to forum" that lets you upload a picture to be hosted. It takes some head scratching initially because you have to copy/paste the link into the post, and that is not the most intuitive. It seems to work ok though.

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t3090-how-to-post-pictures-in-the-forum?highlight=posting+pictures

Geoff":2aprt8rd said:
Hermit":2aprt8rd said:
Hermit, so how long did it take you to figure it out?

I got lucky and got 33 years in the pool.  Had to fight for it though. :D  :lol:
I knew from the start that I was unqualified to pick out clothing, jewelry, etc.  :twisted:

RonA3597":j31f2c2u said:
Brewdude":j31f2c2u said:
This thread will not end well...........
Congrats Brewdude, you called this one early!  :cheers:
Maybe, but I claim no victory here.

My hope is that all contentious parties can go chill out, have a bowl of their favorite pipe weed in whatever pipe they choose, and continue in the spirit of BoB.

Ooommmm...

yoga021.jpg

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":pxvbiiui said:
RonA3597":pxvbiiui said:
Brewdude":pxvbiiui said:
This thread will not end well...........
Congrats Brewdude, you called this one early!  :cheers:
Maybe, but I claim no victory here.

My hope is that all contentious parties can go chill out, have a bowl of their favorite pipe weed in whatever pipe they choose, and continue in the spirit of BoB.

Ooommmm...

yoga021.jpg

Cheers,

RR
Hmmmmm See. Have faith in humanity. I new this thread couldn't be all bad.

Y'know. this summer I bought a "hardly smoked" refurbed Parker from a well-known purveyor of such items When it arrived it looked nearly new and very nicely done in every particular. It's the Jockey Club (lowest rung on the Parker ladder) model #97 blast, and was described as a "slightly bent Apple, but looks like a Prince to me. I've had chances to visually compare with Dunhill blasts, and I can't see the point of craftsmanly superiority for the Dunhill. Plus it smokes dry, delivers plenty of taste, has a nice, open draw with no whistles, everything is centered and lined up properly. Maybe I'm missing some Dunny mojo, but I paid $60 for the Parker. Maybe I'll add a DIY little white dot:)

Thomas:
I think we would all love to see pictures of your problem Dunhill. If you are unable to host online yourself, feel free to email me the pipe pictures and I can put them in my Photobucket album and display here for you. Just PM me if you need an assist.
As long as you are willing to have the pipe evaluated, it would be a good exercise to give the pipe an honest critique, as much as can be done online.

Been following this thread the past few days and it reminds me of a friends experience with his new Lexus this past year. On the experience and advice of some mutual friends who are owners of this brand of car, he bought a new one in 2011. Beautiful car,drove and rode nice but it began to have some drive train problems a few mo's after he bought it. Dealer fixed things but problems kept happening as more time went on. Bottom line, the dealer took the car back and gave him a new 2012 model and he's had NO problems since. EVERY manufacturer of ANY type of goods has LEMONS that make it past QC. To judge the WHOLE product line on one experience with one "bad apple" is childish and somewhat to be expected in todays consumer driven world. JMHO :twisted: 

Mr. Monbla,
Hopefully, you hope will be correct.  However, there is a history of makers changing hands and going down.  There are so many examples of:
  • Pre-transition
  • Transition
  • Today

For those who love the Dunhill's, I hope that which they cherish proves out for them.  If not, they can at least feel better with the way their pre-transition collection will likely increase in value and respect.

KevinM":6y3iq81m said:
Y'know. this summer I bought a "hardly smoked" refurbed Parker from a well-known purveyor of such items When it arrived it looked nearly new and very nicely done in every particular. It's the Jockey Club (lowest rung on the Parker ladder) model #97 blast, and was described as a "slightly bent Apple, but looks like a Prince to me.  I've had chances to visually compare with Dunhill blasts, and I can't see the point of craftsmanly superiority for the Dunhill. Plus it smokes dry, delivers plenty of taste, has a nice, open draw with no whistles, everything is centered and lined up properly. Maybe I'm missing some Dunny mojo, but I paid $60 for the Parker. Maybe I'll add a DIY little white dot:)
I have two top end Parkers (Super Bruyere 24/F and a Super Bruyere 73, both with the 4 in a circle). Hard for me to believe that any pipe can smoke BETTER than anyone of them. Yes, I believe there will be pipes, just as good but.....not better. I just can't imagine what a pipe will be like if it does indeed smoke better than the two Parkers (no, it can't be true, never!!!!) I can't believe it. :oops: :oops: 

It's interesting how the original poster of this thread has not responded to anyone here whose posted in response. Seems this is the way with a brand of pipe haters when they post , stir the pot with lot's of unsubstantiated "facts" then go away and not engage in any form of constructive discussion with others. Almost Troll like to my mind  :twisted:

monbla256":b34zos8d said:
It's interesting how the original poster of this thread has not responded to anyone here whose posted in response. Seems this is the way with a brand of pipe haters when they post , stir the pot with lot's of unsubstantiated "facts" then go away and not engage in any form of constructive discussion with others. Almost Troll like to my mind  :twisted:
I gathered he is anything but a troll.  I'm think he didn't care for the tenor of the conversation and didn't figure continuing a benefit.

As to "unsubstantiated", pipe smoking isn't scientific or consistent in almost any respect. How someone would think to make it personal to boot boggles my mind.