source of vintage tobaccos gone

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U-235

Reaction score
The other day, I listed a vintage tin (early 80's) of Dunhill Elizabethan mixture on eBay. Shortly thereafter, eBay removed my posting. eBay sent me a message stating that, regardless of the collectability of a tin, it can not be sold on eBay if the brand is still in production. Now looking at eBay, the number of sealed & unopened tins, especially Dunhill, are no longer available. I understand that these tins posted to eBay must be regarded as collectable items - not for smoking purposes - and I should not complain. It is just sad to lose a great source of vintage tobaccos. :cry:

Too many folks selling "collectible tins" full of 'baccy which e-prey is not licensed to do !! Onward Thru the Fog! :twisted: :twisted:

People have been skirting the rules there for some time. It's amazing how current some of those "collectible" tins are. Honestly, a lot of the truly collectible tins I picked up there with the intention of smoking anyways. I get it, it's still sad to see a venue go away. On the bright side, maybe those @$$es that scoop up unobtainium with the express purpose of selling it on ebay at insanely inflated prices will have a harder time. We can hope.

Never bought tobacco on eBay and never will.
I see it as a place to shove the price of scarce tobacco skyward
instead of just selling it for what it is truly worth.
After about 20 years of being a active Buyer & Seller I've found
myself getting further and further from eBay mostly because of
senseless nimrod bidders with obviously more money then brains. :fpalm:

I agree with you guys about the price the excessive price gauging. It became a going trend. Years back, I bought a tin of Balkan Sobranie from the early 70's for $110. In my mind, I debated whether or not to spend this money for a small tin of tobacco. With all the hype surrounding Balkan Sobranie, I decided to purchase it. I thought it was a good smoke, but not for $110. Recently, I have seen the same tins sold for over $400! No tobacco is worth that in my opinion - not with all the good blends currently on the market. Following suit, the prices of all vintage tobacco tins surged. Maybe it's better that eBay cracked down - I don't have the means to blow that kind of money anyway.

Last year I noticed the price of vintage Elizabethan was edging skyward, which interested me since I had an uncracked log of five and an additional three loose tins all with Murray markings from year 2000 in a box under my bed. I even had the receipts in my "pipe stuff" file. (Okay, I can be a little OCD.) All seals were intact, and the tins were bought new by me. I'd opened a tin and wasn't that crazy about it. So I phoned a respected consigner of vintage pipeweed and we agreed to a price -- $80 per tin. Couple evenings later I checked, and they were posted already. Couple days later I checked again, and my tins were gone. I called the consigner who said he'd put them up in an afternoon and the next morning they were gone in two phone calls. And guess where both calls were from? (hint: anihc) So in my mind there's no such thing as "actual worth" if you're dealing with wealthy nouveau riche fascist capitalists. We shoulda tested the market for $125, starting with one of the single tins. No, this wasn't eBay. And to get top price you need to have a tin that's something of a legend. (Say, this might be post 1000 for me. I guess I've said everything I know about pipery fifty times over.)

Have you looked for pipestud? He's been doing consignment sales on tobacco (mostly vintage) for quite a while and has a big following. The eBay changes will probably push a fair a bit of additional business his way - you might want to check him out if you haven't already.

Pipestud (or Steve) is awesome. I think his pricing is really reasonable too. If it's a museum piece you're going to pay for it. If it's an undated tin of UF that appears current manufacture, you may pay less than retail. He's got a sence of what deserves added value and what doesn't so much. That's my opinion.

I wondered when the "Bay" was going to catch on to these shenanigans! Sellers did it to themselves. Currently-made tins being pushed as "collectible" solely because they were produced last year...Total BS :twisted: I did buy some "old stuff" a few years ago on FleaBay, as a disclaimer!! If you really want the old good stuff, get up with Steve Fallon ala Pipestud!!! or use the trading/selling site here.:cheers: FTRPLT

It is a shame. I had some nice finds on there. There is, of course, the gouging of esoterica products on there, but you have to look for stuff no one seems to care about, such as forty year old sealed tins of Mac Baren Symphony. I picked up a tin of that and of a twenty five year old tin of Mac Baren Golden Extra. Both were ambrosia. I still have a few jars of it (they were large tins).

Paid $10 for each too. Both sealed and ready to go. They were eve till moist after decades.