Sources for Vulcanite Rod?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crafty

Reaction score
I was browsing today looking a supply of Vulcanite rod but was having no luck. I kept coming across ebonite however and other sites kept say they were the same??? Is this the fact? If so the following link has is to the ebonite page for various colored ebonite rod, some of which are pretty cool. Ideas, knowledge, and general stem supplies (not rough stem) would be great!

http://www.exoticblanks.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1

As I understand it, ebonite and vulcanite are trade names for a rubber compound that in rod shape can be used to make hand-cut pipe stems, pens, and other crafted objects.

German companies, IMO, produce the best quality rods.  My favorite is made by SEM, who produces their ebonite rods in various sizes, colors, and in at least two different "mottled" versions in a range of color combinations, the latter of which some also refer to as "cumberland" or "brindle."

I've heard that the only problem is that German ebonite rods such as SEM can be prohibitively expensive to purchase in smaller quanities, so pipe making artisans sometimes "pool" their orders together into one large order to get a better price.

Some years ago, Trevor Talbert posted this discussion with SEM on his blog (though it looks like it's been edited), which you may find interesting:

http://talbertpipes.blogspot.com/2007/02/ebonite.html

Try Steve Norse aka Vermont freehand he carries both German and japanese ebonite rods the japanese stuff is cheaper I believe he is a memeber here at BOB, or he has a face book

Cool, that was my understanding as well, trade/brand names not different material. I may order some from the site and see what I get/turns out.

the rev":1j44ykty said:
Yup Vermont freehand

Rev
Does he sell SEM? I don't do Facebook and his "eBay store" is kinda wonky so I could find it.

rothnh":fx9htcp2 said:
the rev":fx9htcp2 said:
Yup Vermont freehand

Rev
Does he sell SEM?  I don't do Facebook and his "eBay store" is kinda wonky so I could find it.
Not at this time, but he does have the NYH which is another high quality ebonite. Some say NYH is better, they have been around longer but they only accept huge orders SEM will sell direct but are more expensive. Personally I don't know. The Japanese stuff is pretty darn good, many of the respected Japanese makers use it.

rev