SPC cellaring

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I watched a YouTube video the other day. The person said that the Seattle Pipe Club tins can have problems maintaining their integrity for long term aging (5+ years was the then frame they gave) because of the way they are constructed. Basically they are not real metal tins? Is this correct?

That's crap. Sutliff makes those tins, and I've opened ten year old tins with no tobacco issues. In fact, just this past week, I opened an eight can of H&H Virginia Spice that I bought in 2012, and the tobacco was fresh and mildly moist. They are food grade tins. The tins won't last forever, but very few do.

The only problem Sutliff tins had was pre-2012. Those tins had silver-like bottoms, and the tobacco stuck to those bottoms. Sutliff changed them to bronze-like bottoms, did a call back on the silver-ish ones, and replaced the ones sent back free of change. I've never had problems with them. In all the years I've been on pipe forums, I've never seen anyone complain since the change.

That's crap. Sutliff makes those tins, and I've opened ten year old tins with no tobacco issues. In fact, just this past week, I opened an eight can of H&H Virginia Spice that I bought in 2012, and the tobacco was fresh and mildly moist. They are food grade tins. The tins won't last forever, but very few do.

The only problem Sutliff tins had was pre-2012. Those tins had silver-like bottoms, and the tobacco stuck to those bottoms. Sutliff changed them to bronze-like bottoms, did a call back on the silver-ish ones, and replaced the ones sent back free of change. I've never had problems with them. In all the years I've been on pipe forums, I've never seen anyone complain since the change.
Thanks for the advice, appreciate it.

Some of these people on YouTube have only been smoking a pipe for 6 months. This is where the misinformation is spreading from. If I hear granny panties one more time, aaahhhhh.
Sometimes, even less. They attempt to pose as 'experts' in the hope of becoming monetized and, of course, profit from it.

I can't say I've seen you make as impassioned a response as that before, Jim. You saying "That's crap." had more impact on me than a florid string of profanity would from anyone else. :oops:

@UkuleleDude67 I agree completely, always consider the source.:unsure:

@Davy I've seen one of these "piping pundits" whip out a torch lighter to start his bowl and then complain about the charred flavour of the tobacco he was reviewing. I refuse to acknowledge You Tube as a reliable source for anything but slap-stick humour.

I can't say I've seen you make as impassioned a response as that before, Jim. You saying "That's crap." had more impact on me than a florid string of profanity would from anyone else. :oops:

@UkuleleDude67 I agree completely, always consider the source.:unsure:

@Davy I've seen one of these "piping pundits" whip out a torch lighter to start his bowl and then complain about the charred flavour of the tobacco he was reviewing. I refuse to acknowledge You Tube as a reliable source for anything but slap-stick humour.
Yeah, that's strong and unusual for me on forums as I greatly prefer to be a benign presence, but this subject got a ton of play years ago. Sutliff made a couple of public statements on the subject at the time. To hear of somebody who can't be bothered to research the subject, but claims to know what he's talking about as he misinforms the public due to snobbish dislike and ignorance of a company does us all a disservice.

One thing that does bug me is when people go after a company simply because they don't like them or their products. It's one thing if there's a real and documented problem, e.g., the early releases of Mac Baren Old Dark Fired where rust developed in the tins within a couple of years or so due to the vinegar binder in the tobacco. People needed to know about it, and Mac Baren changed the binder so it wouldn't happen any more once they found out about it.

For years, it used to be the "hip and cool" thing to bash Sutliff on many pipe forums for using cheap tobacco. When I'd see that, I would ask what they thought was good tobacco. 70, maybe 80% of them would list blends that they loved that had Sutliff tobacco in them or were made by Sutliff. I would always point that out to them. I heard lots of crickets from lots of bashers who were unaware.

Here's my favorite example of that:
One guy who trashed Sutliff tobacco said, "Why don't they use the same quality of tobacco that is in Russ Ouellette's Hearth and Home blends."

I answered, "All the H&H blends are made with Sutliff tobacco." [Btw, it's not true now, but it was when this debate happened.]

The guy wrote, "I didn't know that. I've never smoked the H&H blends. I was just making a comparison. Guess it was a bad one. Thanks for the schoolin', Jim."

As an analogy: all my years in comic books as a retailer and then a professional taught me that every writer, every artist, and every character is somebody's favorite. Why knock a blend or a company if you don't like it? We can't all like the same things. It's much better to allow people their happiness, especially when they want the same allowance in return.

Last edited:
Good morning BoBs. I'm having coffee with you this morning because it's snowing again. It's disappointing to be called off work but not surprising for Manitoba spring weather. Working on a golf course it is always bad to strain turf at temperature extremes, we want the turf to develop vigor and resistance before it gets heavy use. Frost damage, especially involving wear and equipment pressure, takes a long time to rebound.

So, I'm having Mark Twain in the Legend with a mug of Ovaltine Breakfast Blend and watching the lazy flakes through the window.
Wakey-Wakey.jpg

DOH!:rolleyes: