Spirits for seasoning your briar?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

latakiahaze

Reaction score
Hi. I know that many favour the salt/alcohol treatment for cleaning up an estate pipe. I suspect many fear using their favourite tipple - whiskey, rum or whatever for fear of ghosting the pipe. Personally I like to use Absinthe - which is about 60% proof (note the UK and US proofing is different). Having reamed the bowl (if it needs it) I'll let the bowl soak to about half full for a day or so, dump this out and then use the salt teatment dampened with Absinthe. I'll let this dry out then carefully remove it all and thoroughly clean the pipe. I haven't found this leaves any noticeable aniseed/Absinthe flavour (so why do it you may ask! :lol: ) but sweetens the pipe up nicely.
I don't use this technique on meershaum's as I've found they don't cake up in the same way and I've heard alcohol can block the pores in the stone.
Be interested to know what spirits others might be using - whether they leave a flavour, how well they work and so forth. I guess a lot will depend on the pipe, the spirit and the preferences of the smoker. Cheers, Duncan. :bounce:

I like using rum for a light cleaning. I don't mind a little ghosting, as I like the taste of rum.

Never thought of using Absinthe. It tends to disappear to quick when I have a bottle or two around :drunken: