Squadron Leader - First, second, third, etc., runners up?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PipeCulture

Reaction score
Hi, All -

Now that I've got my stash of aros just the way I like it, I'm sitting here looking at a mere three tins of non-aros---2 tins of Penzance and what's left of my one tin of Squadron Leader. Regarding the latter, I'm hoping some of you can recommend a few Squadron Leader runner ups in case I can't track any down. I've never tried Presbyterian Mixture but I've heard some good things about it. I've also heard it's a full strength blend. Not sure I've got the chops for it if it is, though.

Thanks,
- M

I like both Squadron Leader and Presbyterian Mixture. To my taste buds Presbyterian seems more 'smokey' and 'earthy'.

You may also like to try Skiff Mixture which has been described as a milder version of Squadron Leader. I have an unopened tin which I will crack open soon.

Peterson Old Dublin (I actually prefer it to Squadron Leader). McL Blue Moutain would also do the trick.

Thanks, All!!! I should receive a parcel of non-aros from smokingpipes.com tomorrow or Thursday. While they were out of the Brebbia #9 and Skiff Mixture, I was able to nab tins of Presbyterian Mixture and Blue Mountain. I got a YouTube recommendation for Chelsea Morning as well so that'll also be in the package. Anyone ever had Maltese Falcon or any of the Captain Earles blends???

--M

Maltese Falcon is... fine. It's similar to my tastebuds to British Woods from McClelland, which is not Squadron Leader like in many ways, but .... it's darn good.

Don't overlook "The Solent Mixture" from Mac Baren. VERY, very under-rated and I really can't see liking SL and not solent.

Thanks!!! The Maltese Falcon was more of a curiosity purchase than anything else. I'll add "Solent" to the want list, though.

--M

Sasquatch":hzx22t35 said:
Don't overlook "The Solent Mixture" from Mac Baren. VERY, very under-rated and I really can't see liking SL and not solent.
tobaccoreviews.com had the worst time finding "Soylent Mixture," as I was happily typing it in. My nerdiness got the best of me, realized what I was typing, facepalmed, dropped the "Y," got a good laugh out of it, and will add this to my list of "to try." I really enjoyed Squadron Leader quite a bit. I will henceforth refer to this mixture in jest as "Soylent Mixture," so I can further amuse myself.

It's people, after all.

8)

Captain Earl's 10 Russians is an EXCELLENT toby....it's definitely a lat-bomb but it's smooth and not bitey at all...

for a middle of the road medium English like Squadron Leader I would pick 3 Oaks Syrian. Syrian instead of Cyprian, so they don't taste similar, but they are very similar in fullness and I think that 3OS has a better flavor profile. IMO.

cakeanddottle":9olatmtx said:
for a middle of the road medium English like Squadron Leader I would pick 3 Oaks Syrian. Syrian instead of Cyprian, so they don't taste similar, but they are very similar in fullness and I think that 3OS has a better flavor profile. IMO.
Yes, Three Oaks Syrian is a fine blend. Any time I was out of Northwoods, I'd smoke Frog Morton. When I was out of Frog Morton I'd smoke Three Oaks Syrian. Had a bowl last night before bed as a matter of fact.

I might as well shake this subject up a bit as I had Ten Russians on the order also. I probably should've titled this thread Squadron Leader runners up AND other non-aros that are absolute must-try's :)

Thanks for keeping the suggestions rolling as you can never have too many alternatives. Here was my order, btw. I decided to cut things off at ~ $70 which meant that Odyssey and a number of others had to go back and wait until next time:

* Captain Earles Ten Russians
* Maltese Falcon
* Chelsea Morning
* Presbyterian Mixture
* McClelland Blue Mountain
* McClelland Frog Morton on the Bayou
* Captain Earles Stimulus Package

Btw, cupojoes.com wrote me back today and recommended the below. Are any of them favorites of yours?

# G.L. Pease Caravan
# McClelland Coyote Full English #5125
# McClelland Chicagoland Samovar
# McConnell’s Oriental

Dave_In_Philly":aoji1uem said:
Peterson Old Dublin (I actually prefer it to Squadron Leader).
Agreed. I also like Presbyterian (a lot). Skiff is similar but also hard to get ahold of. Also Peter Stokkebye's Balkan Supreme (but it has some cavendish).

Tree Mixture is also a great blend. It has only Virginia and Latakia (Squadron Leader has orientals) but it's a good medium-flavored english blend.

Jimbo":r1a4t7jm said:
Tree Mixture is also a great blend. It has only Virginia and Latakia (Squadron Leader has orientals) but it's a good medium-flavored english blend.
I have a tin of this waiting to be smoked.

Presbyterian is excellent - notably dry in taste. Also good are Punchbowle and Peterson's 'Old Dublin' - I find the latter two indistinguishable.