Squadron Leader, Where Are You??

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontariopiper

Reaction score
There must be something going on that I don't know about. I've tried all the regular online shops looking to order a 250g package of Squadron Leader, but to no avail. No one has it in stock, and many don't have any 50g tins either.

Anyone else notice a distinct lack of SL available?

Richard Burley":oqm7lzb2 said:
Looks like supplies are thinning out. Didja try Iwan Ries in Chicago?

http://www.iwanries.com/Samuel-Gawith-Squadron-Leader-250g-P11641C319.cfm
Thanks for the link. Looks like they do have the 250g pack but at $10-$12 more than most others. Shipping is also a bit ridiculous at $31 to Ontario - from Chicago. Would almost cost me less to drive there to pick it up! :cry:

The really sad part of all this is that even after dishing out $70+ USD, I'd still be saving money over buying locally - a 50g tin here in Ontario is $30CAD, which puts 250g somewhere around $175CAD (roughly $135USD) after taxes.

Having now done the math, I may just pull the trigger on the Iwan Ries deal anyway..... :fpalm: :fpalm:

Looks like Mars is ten bucks cheaper. They're a good outfit, but I don't use them because they don't take Mastercard or PayPal, I think. I thinned my c.c. herd a few years ago using the k.i.s.s. principle, and it's now the only one I have. Sorry about the state of affairs in Canada and elsewhere. Have you considered a revolution?

I deal with Mars Cigars and Tobacco all the time. He has some of the best prices on McClelland Tobacco that I've found. He still sells Esoterica at prices that are reasonable. I've never known Mike to gouge at anytime. The service is above reproach. He has a flate rate shipping charge of $6.95 no matter how much you order. I highly recommend Mars to anyone looking for fair prices and great service. :)

AJ

Just noticed Mars won't ship outside the U.S. He's had enough of the b.s., apparently.

Richard Burley":xo5ba510 said:
Just noticed Mars won't ship outside the U.S. He's had enough of the b.s., apparently.
I knew that but I didn't make the connection between Ontariopiper and that he was in Canada. Duh! :fpalm:

AJ

Thanks for all the recommendations, everyone. Much appreciated.

I've sent an email to Pay Less Pipes asking about international shipping. Fingers crossed. Otherwise, I'll be watching and waiting for SL to show up again on 4Noggins.

Hey fellow Canadian,

Have you tried Skiff? I find it and SL to be pretty similar but Skiff is usually more readily available. There is a different oriental component in Skiff, although Lat wise I find they have a pretty similar ratio. Concerning the oriental in it, I find it reminds me of the bidis I sometimes smoked while in India. It must be the same kind of leaf in there. 4N's almost always has the 250g boxes in stock eh.

Psmith":fbc8j8j3 said:
Hey fellow Canadian,

Have you tried Skiff?  I find it and SL to be pretty similar but Skiff is usually more readily available.  There is a different oriental component in Skiff, although Lat wise I find they have a pretty similar ratio. Concerning the oriental in it, I find it reminds me of the bidis I sometimes smoked while in India.  It must be the same kind of leaf in there. 4N's almost always has the 250g boxes in stock eh.
Thanks for the tip, Psmith. Haven't tried Skiff, but it sounds like I need to add it to my list. Might start with a 50g tin, though, before committing to a half pound. :)

Canicus61":yyubcgcl said:
Oh no - I have one 50g tin left.....SL is a favorite.....
Best hurry along now and restock before you find yourself settling for a some lesser blend. :)

AJ

I like Skiff better than squadron leader, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised but neither are regular smokes for me. Hope you find your baccy and at a decent price.